Can the Honda ST1300 Pan European still compete in 2020/2021?

OP
OP
Scarce
Bike
2005 ST1300
In my fantasy world, of Honda came to me in a vision and said "We're making the ST again... What do you want..." It would be DCT a sixth gear and GoldWing horns. But in the real world it's good enough for me as is.
I'd probably go for a modern dash with better LED lighting that you can actually read in the sunlight, and a gear indicator. Maybe cruise control too, but I'd probably never use it. Bright running lights or fog lights too would be cool, but that's an aftermarket item on my bucket list.

OP
OP
Scarce
Bike
2005 ST1300
Why a gear indicator?
Seriously asking.
Convenience and general laziness. And probably aesthetics.

I don't like the aftermarket ones I've seen though. It'd have to be something that incorporates into the existing dash. Something like this, from a thread years ago.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
As someone who has moved onto a more modern bike (FJR), I really enjoy cruise control (needs ride-by-wire), LED lights (never replace a bulb ever again), a more advanced computer (trip time, service reminders/counters), and electronically adjustable suspension (as you transition from a nice freeway to bumpy city streets). Sure, less weight and more agility would be great as well, but not necessarily a must for the ST IMO

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
A bit long a repetitive at times, but informative. He made a few strange comments that I cannot relate to:
1) Many people fill only the lower tank due to the significant weight of a full upper tank. I have always filled up and I have never felt that the added fuel changed the handling at all. The difference between a full and half a tank is only 20 lbs (~10 kg), which is not much in the overall picture
2) The FJR is not capable of cruising at low RPMs like the ST. That's not true - the FJR runs at lower RPMs in top gear, and I frequently accelerate from 2,000 RPM on my FJR with no problems and it has an amazing amount of power across the spectrum. Due to the inline-4 configuration, the FJR may feel/sound like it's running at higher RPMs than the ST, but it isn't

Bike
2000 ST1100
A bit long a repetitive at times, but informative. He made a few strange comments that I cannot relate to:
1) Many people fill only the lower tank due to the significant weight of a full upper tank. I have always filled up and I have never felt that the added fuel changed the handling at all. The difference between a full and half a tank is only 20 lbs (~10 kg), which is not much in the overall picture
2) The FJR is not capable of cruising at low RPMs like the ST. That's not true - the FJR runs at lower RPMs in top gear, and I frequently accelerate from 2,000 RPM on my FJR with no problems and it has an amazing amount of power across the spectrum. Due to the inline-4 configuration, the FJR may feel/sound like it's running at higher RPMs than the ST, but it isn't
When i was reading my motorcycle magazines when i had a subscription it was for entertainment only and to see what was new. The testers and reviewers can only give you their opinion. I use to scratch my head when one magazine gave one motorcycle low reviews and another great reviews....was it because said magazine gave low marks because the manufacturer had no ads with the magazine? Anyway if you want to know how good stuff in the real world visit your motorcycle forums boys and girls. Look for long time owners who have lived with the bike for years. These are the only true testers.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - same here ST GUI. I really liked that video and I sure loved my ST1300 - except for the weight - and that was more a problem with me than with the bike. Any Gold Wing, Harley or other big tourer weighed as much or more.

It was everything I had hoped for in terms of power, speed, handling and reliability - and the things that it lacked (gear indicator, self-cancelling turn signals) were minor annoyances and could have been addressed if I had been sufficiently browned-off with them.

Otherwise, the ST was superb and now that they have dropped so far in price, they simply must be viewed as the deal of the century for someone who wants to tour but doesn't have a ton o'-dough.

Pete

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Features like heated grips & seats and gear indicators are nice to have but maybe only after you’ve had them and then don’t do you miss them.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'd probably go for a modern dash with better LED lighting that you can actually read in the sunlight, and a gear indicator.
I'd be happy with modern meters (analog) that go stop to stop and back when the IGN is turned on. Looks very trick. :D A +1 on the LCD panel lighting.

But a gear indicator! I forgot that bit. I had one on my V65S and loved it. The 650 Nighthawk had one (AND it was shaft drive!) too. I've thought of adding the GiPRO (?) but there is no place to mount it that I like.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
No gear indicator on any of my bikes, most of the time I know when I'm in 1st and top. Those in between gears are most of the time a mystery to me but I always know when I'm in the right gear, isn't that all that matters?

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
.................. Anyway if you want to know how good stuff in the real world visit your motorcycle forums boys and girls. Look for long time owners who have lived with the bike for years. These are the only true testers.
Sorry, gotta disagree with this statement. Sure they may know the bike more intimately but... most everybody thinks their bike is the best, blind to the reality of it's short comings.

I'm a long time member of the ZRXOA board. Guys swear it's THE best all around bike ever. I once questioned why, if that's the case, does almost everybody change almost everything about the bike I got ripped a new one. From exhausts, carburation, wheels, suspension, turn signals, seats... you name it, they change it. I don't think there is a perfectly stock one on the planet.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No gear indicator on any of my bikes, most of the time I know when I'm in 1st and top. Those in between gears are most of the time a mystery to me but I always know when I'm in the right gear, isn't that all that matters?
Pretty much everyone knows when they are cruising down the road what gear they are in but if you are hustling down twisty roads and going up and down gears rapidly it’s easy to not know the exact gear you just choose when rev matching two or three quick downshifts. In tight switchbacks my ST could almost always pull 2nd but once in a while I’d accidentally drop into first when I didn’t need to or want to. I never had a gear indicator so that’s just the way it was but I sure wished the ST had one because several of my other bikes did. My RT has a really tall first gear so in that situation without a GI it would be easy to drop into 1st without wanting to. The Goldwing has a really low 1st gear and I almost never use it so when slowing for traffic or traffic signals 2nd becomes my default 1st. A gear indicator would really be useful.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Pretty much everyone knows when they are cruising down the road what gear they are in but if you are hustling down twisty roads and going up and down gears rapidly it’s easy to not know the exact gear you just choose when rev matching two or three quick downshifts. In tight switchbacks my ST could almost always pull 2nd but once in a while I’d accidentally drop into first when I didn’t need to or want to. I never had a gear indicator so that’s just the way it was but I sure wished the ST had one because several of my other bikes did. My RT has a really tall first gear so in that situation without a GI it would be easy to drop into 1st without wanting to. The Goldwing has a really low 1st gear and I almost never use it so when slowing for traffic or traffic signals 2nd becomes my default 1st. A gear indicator would really be useful.
This entire post reflects my view on the matter. :plus1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
Sorry, gotta disagree with this statement. Sure they may know the bike more intimately but... most everybody thinks their bike is the best, blind to the reality of it's short comings.

I'm a long time member of the ZRXOA board. Guys swear it's THE best all around bike ever. I once questioned why, if that's the case, does almost everybody change almost everything about the bike I got ripped a new one. From exhausts, carburation, wheels, suspension, turn signals, seats... you name it, they change it. I don't think there is a perfectly stock one on the planet.
I don't think you are getting what I'm trying to say here so let me put it a different way. Say it was the year 2000 and I was looking to buy a brand new Honda ST1100 and i go and research all i can from the motorcycle press ok so far so good. But I think it would be foolish just to rely on the one source when people are on this very forum here know more about the care and feeding of the Honda ST's than many Honda dealerships. On the forums I can research for problems before I put down my hard earned money. Also not every brand owner of a motorcycle is a happy camper. The Harley CVO boards were ready to go to war with Harley Davidsons new Milwaukee 8 engine sumping problems, BMW owners on their boards were not pleased to say the least when they were told to stop riding their new boxer wet head engine equipped motorcycles due to defective shocks. These problems one would not know about if they were in the market and did not read the forums .Oh and the owners of these machines you know the real testers are the ones that found these problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom