STOC #

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't mount that piece but I have the Valk CB (which is what the J&M unit copied). I laser cut a steel plate to go under my ST1100 trunks with a 'leg' out for the CB antenna mount. I used a NGP Antenna and cable as the STs generally do not have a good ground plane.

LG-3-B – 17.99 - Firefly Black 3ft Antenna

K-8NGP – 22.99 – No Ground Plain Cable

K4 - $3.49 – Stud Mount
203Z - $12.95 - Antenna Foldover mount

I've found Walcott Radio to be a good supplier of such things.
Sierra Electronics are also good guys as I have done business with them before.
I also get a foldover mount so I can fold over the antenna to put on a full bike cover.
RBTopBoxRightSideSmall.jpg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I did the same as UP, with the FireStick antenna, mounted the same (I used the MCLarry antenna bracket - no longer available).
I bought an old SWR meter on Ebay, and checked SWR - don't remember the reading I got(this was > 6 years ago) but it was decent.
Initally had a lot of receiver noise which limited my range, but that all went away when I got rid of the HID lights I had.
Replaced them with LED's, no more noise. \
CB has been fine for over six years.
The Sierrra kit looks interesting, but remember the best way to know how effective your antenna is, is with an SWR check.
Good luck ....

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Another option is a Midland handheld CB 75-822, a Sena SR10, and any Sena headset. I used a Ram mount for portable radio with belt clip, and strapped the SR-10 to the front of the portable radio. I use rechargeable AA batteries (you have to use a specific brand) for the CB, and the Sena SR-10 and CB charge easily lasts a whole day. Because nothing is wired to the bike there are no ground loop problems. I have a rubber ducky antenna that came with it, and I bought a longer antenna that gives better reception. If you get a squeal on transmission, switch to low power. This setup is adequate to talk bike to bike in a 4-5 person group. It isn't meant to be a long range system. I transfer mine from bike to bike. The CB on my Wing squeals on transmission, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that probably won't be in widespread use in a few years. My Nighthawk group all got Sena 50s so this years ride will be the last for the CB. The GWRRA riders still use it, but as the new bikes cycle in most will opt for some mesh system because it is so much clearer and cheaper. The only downside is you lose a second or 2 of transmission as the system switches from music to CB. Once it switches it stays in CB for a while so you won't lose any transmission once it has switched. After several seconds of no transmission the Sena headset switches back to music.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bstig60
Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
@jspringator; I HAVE SOME FRIENDS WHO HAVE THE MIDLAND UNIT YOU MENTION, BUT THEY CONSTANTLY HAVE TROUBLE WITH THEM. I HAVE THE WIRED SYSTEM ON MY GOLDWING AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY. GOOD SOUND QUALITY. I HAVE ACCESS TO A J&M SYSTEM THROUGH A FELLOW MEMBER THAT I WILL PICK UP LATER THIS WEEK, SO I WILL SET IT UP AND SEE HOW IT WORKS. I LIKE THAT IT HAS AN AMP FOR IPOD OR EXTERNAL MUSIC DEVICE. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD VOLUME PROBLEMS WITH MY CARDO BLUETOOTH ON THE ST. THANKS FRO ALL THE ANSWERS AND SUGGESTIONS. DISREGARD THE ALL CAPS, MY FINGERS DON'T DO 'SHIFTS' WELL ANYMORE. @TourNut, CAN'T OPEN YOUR PICS.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
My Wing has the aftermarket unit. It sucks. I figure it would cost $700 to get a honda CB, installation, and a new antenna. Maybe more.

The key to the Midland system is to get a Sena headset, and play music that resides on your phone; not Pandora. I had a Packtalk bold and it wouldn't stay connected. With my Sena 50, it has been flawless in 3 outings.

All these comm systems are a PITA.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
My Wing has the aftermarket unit. It sucks. I figure it would cost $700 to get a honda CB, installation, and a new antenna. Maybe more.

The key to the Midland system is to get a Sena headset, and play music that resides on your phone; not Pandora. I had a Packtalk bold and it wouldn't stay connected. With my Sena 50, it has been flawless in 3 outings.

All these comm systems are a PITA.
Here's a link to the factory CB for your wing. https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HON-GL18-CB. I paid this much for a used unit in 2017 to add to my 2003 wing. I installed it myself, installation was simple enough. Then had the SWR set on my antenna and it has been fine since.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Thanks for the link. But if my Midland works on my GWRRA rides, I'm good. My GWRRA group has been riding goat trails lately, so I need it to work with the Versys too.

I need to disconnect the CB on the Wing. There is static coming through the speakers even when the CB is off. Apparently that is a known problem with the aftermarket CB.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the link. But if my Midland works on my GWRRA rides, I'm good. My GWRRA group has been riding goat trails lately, so I need it to work with the Versys too.

I need to disconnect the CB on the Wing. There is static coming through the speakers even when the CB is off. Apparently that is a known problem with the aftermarket CB.
Do you have the J&M unit? Probably need to check the noise filters on the alternator. https://www.goldwingowners.com/threads/cb-alternator-ignition-noise.331/
Can you adjust your squelch to get rid of the noise?

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It receives fine. It just squeals on transmission. I don’t know if there is a low output switch or not. At first it wouldn't transmit at all until I coated all the ground strap bolts in anti-seize to improve conductivity. I also ran a ground jumper to the other side of the topbox bolt to improve the ground plane. Here is a picture.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

by jspringator, on Flickr

I welcome suggestions.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
It receives fine. It just squeals on transmission. I don’t know if there is a low output switch or not. At first it wouldn't transmit at all until I coated all the ground strap bolts in anti-seize to improve conductivity. I also ran a ground jumper to the other side of the topbox bolt to improve the ground plane. Here is a picture.

by jspringator, on Flickr

I welcome suggestions.
Check this out. Possible ground problem or SWR way off. Not to mention an HD part on a Goldwing!

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
With typical HD quality. Thanks for the article, but I'm going to run with the Midland for now. I don't want to spend any money on that CB system. I figured it was a ground problem, hence the ground jumper wire to the topbox bolts on the other side. I don't use any of the Wing entertainment system. I sync an iPhone to my BT headset, and sync the SR-10 to the headset. I get music and directions from the iPhone. I can make phone calls through siri. A couple of weeks ago I asked Siri for directions to the nearest Dairy Queen... and it worked.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
With typical HD quality. Thanks for the article, but I'm going to run with the Midland for now. I don't want to spend any money on that CB system. I figured it was a ground problem, hence the ground jumper wire to the topbox bolts on the other side. I don't use any of the Wing entertainment system. I sync an iPhone to my BT headset, and sync the SR-10 to the headset. I get music and directions from the iPhone. I can make phone calls through siri. A couple of weeks ago I asked Siri for directions to the nearest Dairy Queen... and it worked.

Good luck with Siri, my experience with her is she spends a lot of time lost!

Top Bottom