CB Installation on ST1300

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My '91 GL1500 's CB was squealing during transmitting a few years ago , I sent CB into Sierra electronics - Nope they said it was fine . I replaced the antenna ( checked that antenna was still well grounded properly ) - Nope that didn't cure it either . I then replaced the CB coax extension cord between antenna connection & CB radio itself connection. ( the length that runs through most of the bike ) - THAT WAS IT ! Don't know why , I found no damage .
( My CBs have always had SWR tuned as I have the SWR meter , I learned back in the '70s. ; so that wasn't it either )

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My J&M CB installed on my ST is linked into my Autocom system. A special interface was required since a standard interface cable is/was not available. It has worked well since installation in 2007 until a couple of repairs ago when I had some repairs done to the bike and it has been a little noisy, audio wise, since that event. I did find an error with the antenna and have since removed it after verifying the J&M's output to a dummy load was satisfactory power wise. I have yet to re-install the antenna. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0353.JPGIMG_0354.JPG

OP
OP
bstig60
Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
My J&M CB installed on my ST is linked into my Autocom system. A special interface was required since a standard interface cable is/was not available. It has worked well since installation in 2007 until a couple of repairs ago when I had some repairs done to the bike and it has been a little noisy, audio wise, since that event. I did find an error with the antenna and have since removed it after verifying the J&M's output to a dummy load was satisfactory power wise. I have yet to re-install the antenna. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0353.JPGIMG_0354.JPG
I got my J&M CB unit and am getting ready to test it to make sure it works before installing it on my ST. I installed it temporarily today, the unit turns on and all the buttons work, it appears to transmit, but I need the 8 pin lower headset cord for 6 pin systems (J&M LOWER CORD HC-ZJM ).
My unit came off a Valkyrie. My mounting bracket is much shorter than the one shown in your pic. On J&M's site, they show the mounting bracket for the ST and Valk to be the same. The antenna that came with the unit is a license plate mount, so I will be mounting my antenna the way shown in your pic. Did make up the mount and have it powder coated or is it just a painted steel bar?

Last edited:
Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
I can help with the CB give me a call 209-887-3283or email me
motorcycledave@mac.com

I am considering installing the Sierra Electronics J&M CB kit on my ST. I am curious if anyone has installed this kit and if so, how did you mount the antenna?

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I got my J&M CB unit and am getting ready to test it to make sure it works before installing it on my ST. I installed it temporarily today, the unit turns on and all the buttons work, it appears to transmit, but I need the 8 pin lower headset cord for 6 pin systems (J&M LOWER CORD HC-ZJM ).
My unit came off a Valkyrie. My mounting bracket is much shorter than the one shown in your pic. On J&M's site, they show the mounting bracket for the ST and Valk to be the same. The antenna that came with the unit is a license plate mount, so I will be mounting my antenna the way shown in your pic. Did make up the mount and have it powder coated or is it just a painted steel bar?
The bracket in the photo is one I built so, its unique. The antenna bar was purchased in 2007 and I don't have a record of who I got it from (thats based on memory. The top box was added some years later. The picture in my avatar (?) is the bike in February, March 2007 on the way back from TN after having the stuff installed. I think its the same bar.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
@jfheilmam, thanks for the reply. I will modify my mount to raise it up a little higher to provide access to the kill switch.
The antenna mount will have to be fabricated in order to clear my Shad top box. The 6 pin lower headset cord was another issue, so I ordered a new one from Sierra electronics, it should be here later this week. Once it arrives I can finish testing the CB unit and the audio input prior to installation.

OP
OP
bstig60
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I am in the process of testing and getting ready to install my J&M CB system on my ST13. It is recommended not to connect it directly to the battery, so what is a good place to connect it to switched power in the back of the seat by the ECM? There is a red 4 pin vacant plug back there, most likely for ABS, which I do not have. I am making up an antenna mount out of 1 1/2 x 1/8" aluminum stock. I am going to double it up to add strength since I could not find 1/4" that was affordable and the steel would be too much weight and subject to rust in Florida.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Mine is powered through a Fuze Block from these guys. All my electronics are powered through it, GPS, Radar Detector, CB

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I just use these , cheaper & you can tie them together different ways , for whatever size gang you want , takes up less space for smaller available spaces in MCs . I put stick-on labels on top for circuits & super-glue the label edges ( heat reasons ) . I use what brand they sell in AutoZone , etc .

Top Bottom