Center stand corrosion - what could possibly go wrong?

Bike
2007 ST-1300A-6
Hello,

When I picked up my 07 1300 from a service last week my mechanic pointed out the corrosion on my center stand. My immediate reaction was - I can live without using that. However, it's already starting to annoy me. So, before I find a replacement and pay for the many hours of labour to change it, is it worth it? Should I try to live without it?

IMG_20240405_175726367_HDR.jpg

Colm.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use mine once a week at least mainly to store the bike more vertical for space.

Always used to remove the rear tire.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If it's in danger of falling off while your riding take it off. Replacement is up to you.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
It looks like the frame members are similarly rusted, which is what would stand out to me as an actual concern. Look at the tube in the background, at the bottom of the fairings.

Best suggestion would be strip the tupperware and validate that it's confined just to the center stand.

Assuming it is, removing it should be pretty easy, but it's similarly easy at that point to get it sandblasted and re-painted or powder coated, probably for less than the cost of a replacement center stand.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It looks like the frame members are similarly rusted, which is what would stand out to me as an actual concern. Look at the tube in the background, at the bottom of the fairings.

Best suggestion would be strip the tupperware and validate that it's confined just to the center stand.

Assuming it is, removing it should be pretty easy, but it's similarly easy at that point to get it sandblasted and re-painted or powder coated, probably for less than the cost of a replacement center stand.
The main frame is aluminum and the brown tube you see is the stainless steel exhaust header. It is "this bike is ridden" brown.

To the OP I would pull it out for inspection and depending on the depth of corrosion I would replace it or use a chemical rust converter to stop the rust then prime and rattle can paint it.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
The main frame is aluminum and the brown tube you see is the stainless steel exhaust header. It is "this bike is ridden" brown.

To the OP I would pull it out for inspection and depending on the depth of corrosion I would replace it or use a chemical rust converter to stop the rust then prime and rattle can paint it.
Good! And Evapo-Rust is raw black magic.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need to get at mine - but it means taking off a downpipe and unbolting the anti-knock sensor - because I do not think the stand pivot bolt will pull out with the exhaust in the way. I've sprayed it with ACF50 to prevent the rust eating way at the metal (it's thick surface rust at present). I'll take a better look at it this winter. Need to get exahust gaskets, check if antiknock sensors are still available and find a way of securing the bike to the ramp without the centre stand down. (I have a front wheel grabber somewhere. I took it off).

But the springs need a closer luck - They were padded with grease behind the protective tube, but the hook ends may be suspect. If they snap ......

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That was my thought, exactamundo.
But John also adds some sage advice that I didn't think of... check those springs, particularly the hook. One can imagine the insult and injury those could wreak if snapped off.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
That was my thought, exactamundo.
But John also adds some sage advice that I didn't think of... check those springs, particularly the hook. One can imagine the insult and injury those could wreak if snapped off.
And the spring is less than $10 on Partzilla, so not a bad idea to just pre-emptively replace it regardless.

OP
OP
colmd
Bike
2007 ST-1300A-6
Some good stuff there. I hadn't considered the possibility of bits falling off while in use - especially that spring :eek:

As much as I'd like the idea of tackling it myself reading this post worries me enough to pay a professional.

Thanks for your help.
Colm.

Bike
R1200rt
Probably the center stand sits on concrete all winter. When storing the bike keep the stand on something water proof.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I use the center stand every day when I park at work. I park in garage where the space is limited. Is it bad to use it this frequently?
No, it's not a problem. It's designed to be used frequently, the mechanical limit of engagements is probably way more than your life time, add rust and corrosion and you have to fix it. OP has a hole and the spring will probably fail if untreated.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the center stand every day when I park at work. I park in garage where the space is limited. Is it bad to use it this frequently?
Mine sits on the center stand every day. I leave my bikes on the center stand to save garage space. It's not going to hurt a thing.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably the center stand sits on concrete all winter. When storing the bike keep the stand on something water proof.
Concrete? Boy, I'm in trouble. My house, cars, bikes, tools, BBQ grille, lawn equipment, all sitting on a concrete slab. I think this is probably salt air or mist from the Irish Sea and the stuff they put on the roads there. Jfheath has talked about the high rate of corrosion in coastal areas of the UK before.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Your center stand to me looks like it will need a reinforcing piece of steel welded over that hole which looks like it has expanded to a slit in the tube of the center stand. I see the reinforcement on the front, but cannot tell how much corrosion has weakened it. A few notes. As pointed out in your linked thread, WD40 is not penetrating oil, a cheap but excellent home brew can be made of 50:50 ATF and acetone (auto trans fluid). The acetone makes it particularly flammable so be careful.

When I pulled my center stand, IIRC, the hinge bolt only comes out one side (right side?) and I had to remove my exhaust header on that side. You will need 2 new copper sealing rings for the header and I think I replaced one of the exhaust pipe sleeves/gasket. It was not a big job for me, but I had little to no corrosion. Those two springs are powerful and I struggled with them.

Top Bottom