Changing the MAC address on a Bluetooth Transmitting Dongle

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Related to my Sena 20S EVO thread, there are programs and methods to do this.
My problem is I cannot 'reach' the dongle even if I plug it into a USB port with the supplied cable.
Anybody out there every tried to do this - and were you successful?
The 'brand' I have is -

TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver, 2-in-1 Wireless 3.5mm Adapter (Low Latency, 2 Devices Simultaneously, for TV/Home Sound System/Car/Nintendo Switch)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Odd. Why would you need to change the mac?
Latest firmware in the Sena? Can firmware on the other device be updated?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Odd. Why would you need to change the mac?
Latest firmware in the Sena? Can firmware on the other device be updated?
Agreed.

UP, what is the problem you're trying to solve by changing the MAC? Maybe there's a better way to attack this?

Also, giving us the current MAC is easier for me to ID the actual device you have. It could be stored in EEPROM though...

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I want to clone 4 BT dongles so the Sena 'thinks' they are the same one so I don't have to move the dongle from bike to bike. :biggrin:
I can't 'see' a dongle MAC as I cannot get my desktop to recognize it when plugged into a USB port.
I do not have a BT adapter on my desktop - unless my wireless mouse qualifies.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you can not find the answer from some one else or their tech support.
Then you would have to open the box to find the part number and OEM of the bluetooth chip.
Then you could get the SDK and information from the chip OEM.
Some chips are write once and done. Others the firmware and MAC are in the Flash memory which the SDK should let you see and tweek.
I have not worked on directly on any BT chips but it should be the same method as other processors....

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some chips are write once and done. Others the firmware and MAC are in the Flash memory which the SDK should let you see and tweek.
These are probably 'once and done' since they are so cheap and small in size.
I would doubt they would go to expense of adding flash memory in such a compact size unit. :(
But I guess I can reach out to manufacturer and ask the question.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Uncle Phil,
Are you sure that the Sena can’t remember 4 separate Bluetooth devices? You may be able to pair the devices, one at a time, and have them connect individually, when they’re turned on.

Does this mean that you’ve advanced to the 20th century technology?

John

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uncle Phil,
Are you sure that the Sena can’t remember 4 separate Bluetooth devices? You may be able to pair the devices, one at a time, and have them connect individually, when they’re turned on.
Does this mean that you’ve advanced to the 20th century technology?
John
John - It 'appears' that the Sena20 S Evo only pairs with 2 BT devices max - according to my limited experience and what I can read in the manual.
I am now an owner of a Sena20 S Evo but the jury is still out on whether I'm ready to come into the 20th century or not. :biggrin:
BTW, Andy and I will be at the Fitz Restaurant about 8:30-9 AM Thursday morning if you want to join us for breakfast and a run the rest of the way to FerrySToc.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not a Linux feller or do I have access to a distro.
you can install linux on a thumb drive and boot from it on any PC.

just launch a terminal from the pulldown menu, and execute the command in the earlier post.

I'm not familiar with the particular device you're working with, but most, if not all, MAC addresses are permanently burned into the hardware somehow. What is possible though is to do MAC spoofing where something in between the actual devices that are communicating mis-represents the MAC address of the target into something else that you want it to be. Not sure if that's what the bdaddr command is doing or if its doing something else.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Phil,
The Sena will pair with only 2 devices at the same time, but I believe it "remembers" each device that has previously paired with.

When I looked at the Sena app on my phone, I have a screen that lists the pairings.

SENA_PIC.jpg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Phil,
The Sena will pair with only 2 devices at the same time, but I believe it "remembers" each device that has previously paired with.
I think that's what he's trying to do with the 4 devices, is spoof the unit into thinking all 4 are the 'same' unit that its seen before, presumably it remembers them by their MAC addresses.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I believe the Sena will remember all 4 devices, with individual MAC addresses, and will connect with whichever device is powered up. I know that my phone is currently paired to 9 devices, but connects automatically to the first/nearest device that it finds.

John

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
you can install linux on a thumb drive and boot from it on any PC.

just launch a terminal from the pulldown menu, and execute the command in the earlier post.

I'm not familiar with the particular device you're working with, but most, if not all, MAC addresses are permanently burned into the hardware somehow. What is possible though is to do MAC spoofing where something in between the actual devices that are communicating mis-represents the MAC address of the target into something else that you want it to be. Not sure if that's what the bdaddr command is doing or if its doing something else.
Since there is nothing 'between' the Sena and the dongle, I believe I will be out of luck if I can't change the MAC on the device.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Since there is nothing 'between' the Sena and the dongle, I believe I will be out of luck if I can't change the MAC on the device.
Ah, then I think you're probably out of luck on that angle because the MAC address is hardware defined on the circuit board and can't be modified. As you know, the idea behind the MAC addr is to give every device a unique ID, so allowing people to easily change it would be contrary to that purpose.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ah, then I think you're probably out of luck on that angle because the MAC address is hardware defined on the circuit board and can't be modified. As you know, the idea behind the MAC addr is to give every device a unique ID, so allowing people to easily change it would be contrary to that purpose.
Maybe somebody somewhere makes a dongle that allows you to program the MAC address .... :think1:

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have heard of Chinese electronics coming from the factory as clones; they all have the same MAC address. Have you tried to get one of the other dongles to connect without pairing? That would be lucky if this was a case of cheep cloned MAC's. It won't pair the second because it is already paired, it has the same MAC.

Top Bottom