Changing the MAC address on a Bluetooth Transmitting Dongle

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have heard of Chinese electronics coming from the factory as clones; they all have the same MAC address.
Yeah, absolutely. To do embedded data like a MAC address right, during electrical test of the devices they will also write data to otherwise blank writeable memory space in the chip. It's far easier to simply encode a character string (MAC address) into the design to make fabricating the device and its test suite much less expensive.

tonythecarguy

err... motorcycleguy
Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have heard of Chinese electronics coming from the factory as clones; they all have the same MAC address. Have you tried to get one of the other dongles to connect without pairing? That would be lucky if this was a case of cheep cloned MAC's. It won't pair the second because it is already paired, it has the same MAC.
Thinking some more this would not be sufficient, each dongle will need to be paired to the 20s so the dongle "knows" what to send audio to. Maybe you could pair one, clear the 20s pair the second dongle, clear the 20s pair the third dongle, clear the 20s and pair the 4th. Now all the dongles are paired with the 20s and the 20s is paired with the 4th dongle. Then, if they are clones, hopefully all 4 dongles would look the same as #4 to the 20s.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thinking some more this would not be sufficient, each dongle will need to be paired to the 20s so the dongle "knows" what to send audio to. Maybe you could pair one, clear the 20s pair the second dongle, clear the 20s pair the third dongle, clear the 20s and pair the 4th. Now all the dongles are paired with the 20s and the 20s is paired with the 4th dongle. Then, if they are clones, hopefully all 4 dongles would look the same as #4 to the 20s.
Tony - Since I paired the second dongle to the Sena after a factory reset, I have not tried to connect to the original dongle.
Sounds like a trip out to the garage just to see .... :think1:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Spoofing a different MAC address is common on Routers and firewalls. But without processor power those BT devices aren't going to change.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I finally got an answer back from Sena -

Thank you for contacting Sena Tech Support.

We appreciate your patience with us. I have checked your scenario with the team and they have confirmed that the 20sEvo can only store 2x Freewire pairings via the "1st phone and second mobile phone" option. So for the remaining two Freewires, you will have to go through the pairing procedure to link them with the headset.

Top Bottom