Confused.....Spline Lube?

Whooshka said:
Or modify the software so that every time "moly", "oil" or "tire" is typed, the poster immediately goes into search mode.
What-the-Heck-Is-a-Tumbleweed.jpg

Or you can scare people by putting our hero's picture up! ;)

1570137463131.png

Last edited:
Well, I read this thread with a lot of interest...I bought a tube of the M-77 ~ 1 year ago without ever using it. Today, I bought an 8 oz jar of the Loctite 8012 on eBay for $23 shipped, so thanks to all. I have to lube my splines when it’s a bit cooler out (currently is 90 degrees in SC). I guess if I do a brake job at some point (on one of the cars), I can use the M-77 for the pins and pad shims.

ive got a tub of Rocol - the stuff that apparenlty Rolls Royce use, suppose i could ask em as the part of the engineering works is only up the road from the offices in Coventry lol

I’ve been using Moly Slip 65% and so far so good.

I finished the ST in March of this year, so this is the first season for this bike. As a matter of course, over the winter I’ll be pulling the rear wheel to see how things look.

I've used the Honda Moly 60 for years. I'm lucky to have a couple of tubes left and it goes a long ways.

Don’t post your address... bad guys in black will rapell out of blacked out helicopters in the middle of the night, break into your shop and snitch the inventory...

I've used the Honda Moly 60 for years. I'm lucky to have a couple of tubes left and it goes a long ways.
Don't start dancing just quite yet, as the moly 60 has a shelf life of about 2 years, and they have not produced or sold it in about 5 years already.
So yours may look good painting it on the splines but I bet it you pull the wheel off after a few hundred miles to inspect them you'll find it turned into a water mess and its not doing its job anymore.
If you like your bike and want it to last, get some of the locktite stuff.

Don't start dancing just quite yet, as the moly 60 has a shelf life of about 2 years, and they have not produced or sold it in about 5 years already.
So yours may look good painting it on the splines but I bet it you pull the wheel off after a few hundred miles to inspect them you'll find it turned into a water mess and its not doing its job anymore.
If you like your bike and want it to last, get some of the locktite stuff.

Why do you always come along and spoil everyone's dinner? :nanana1:

And here I thought I was doing pretty good with my last tube of the Moly 60! :censored:

Thanks for the info Larry, I did buy some Locktite stuff a few months back...a few months is okay, right? :think1:

:thumb:

I don't know the facts about the Moly's carrier base, or if it could degrade, but TWO YEARS?? I'm on my second tube in 24 years and have never seen a watery mess.

Haha... that’s exactly what I was about to post. 24 years and 20+ rear wheel pulls/splines inspection. FWIW

John

I'm on the bottom end of a Moly60 tube purchased 13 years ago. It's still good and the bike that used most of the tube is going strong at 199,xxx miles. That's approximately 28 spline lubes, the last one at 194,xxx miles.

If any grease or paste separates in the container, use a Mk. 1 stir stick to reconstitute it.

Back
Top Bottom