Confused.....Spline Lube?

Hi all,

I’m needing to do a back tire change on my recently purchased 2012 ST1300. I know I need to clean and lube the spines on the rear wheel. I’ve gone they many posts about what to use on the spines for lube. Great discussion, but I’m lost. Will this work ? I appreciate any help I can get.
1570098700485.jpeg

No. There are endless moly threads. Loctite 8012 is the preferred paste. Read this thread in its entirety to become an expert. Or just go to post 268. More info here. Alternatively, you could type the key words in the search box, top right of this page, and read until you are old and gray (sort of the same color as moly disulphide powder). The service manual asks for moly paste with > 60% moly, iirc, the M-77 has 40 odd %. Honda has said that the 77 is a replacement for the original paste, but at least one of our members has seen splines chewed up using the 77. Only time will tell if Honda really screwed up. Or are they hastening the demise of our beloved bikes so that we will all buy new Hondas?

+1 SMSW. Nothing more to say.
Except.......the M77 will come in for lots of other ST applications so you'll get to use it.
Upt'North.

Easy to get lost in oil, tire and moly threads. Here's the Loctite 8012 (51048). The Loctite seems to be the answer to the now discontinued Honda Moly 60 paste. Seems the consensus is to not use the Honda M-77.

1570105871087.png 1570105705632.png

I need to pull my driveshaft out and service whatever lies within. does this stuff work in that area as well?

I need to pull my driveshaft out and service whatever lies within. does this stuff work in that area as well?
Look at the Honda manual or speak to someone who has one because I think some areas ask for MOLY Grease and others MOLY paste. Moly grease is fairly cheap. Unlike the paste.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
mine has 14k on it and when I leave in the morn, I hear and feel a groan (like a warped rotor) between my feet but goes away after a short ride(drivetrain warms up) leading me to believe I need a service of some sort?

mine has 14k on it and when I leave in the morn, I hear and feel a groan (like a warped rotor) between my feet but goes away after a short ride(drivetrain warms up) leading me to believe I need a service of some sort?
Probably the drive train. Nothing to worry about. A lot of folks have mentioned that.

With that low of mileage on your bike, I would suspect you may be hearing brake issues, and not driveshaft issues.
If the systems are not flushed and bled yearly your secondary master cylinder may be starting to stick, which would make your rear brake caliper drag. This could be the sound(s) your hearing.
I would suggest you follow the service manuals instructions and test the SMC and inspect your front/rear brake calipers for proper function before tearing apart the drive shaft.
Your rear flange bearings could have given up the ghost as well (very common).

Hi all,

I’m needing to do a back tire change on my recently purchased 2012 ST1300. I know I need to clean and lube the spines on the rear wheel. I’ve gone they many posts about what to use on the spines for lube. Great discussion, but I’m lost. Will this work ? I appreciate any help I can get.
1570098700485.jpeg
Honda superseded the older M60 product with M-77 a number of years ago. It has been recommended in service applications across many Honda vehicles. When Honda supersedes a previous part or product it means it is the current item to use and Honda stakes their reputation on it.

There are other choices of course but Honda now and for close to a decade says it’s OK to use.

Edit to add that unlike M60, M-77 tends to separate in the tube so if you do use it knead the tube per directions to throughly mix the product. Apply it as a uniform paste.

Last edited:
Honda superseded the older M60 product with M-77 a number of years ago. It has been recommended in service applications across many Honda vehicles. When Honda supersedes a previous part or product it means it is the current item to use and Honda stakes their reputation on it.

There are other choices of course but Honda now and for close to a decade says it’s OK to use.
Up until this moment I thought we may avoid a 200 post molybdenum thread :run1:.
Now you've gone and done it :doh1:.
Where did I put it, argh there it is :bigpop:.
Upt'North :thumb:.

Yeah, that way your spline will :nuke1:, and you'll have to take it in to be repaired at a cost of a new Goldwing! :well1:

Edit to add that unlike M60, M-77 tends to separate in the tube so if you do use it knead the tube per directions to throughly mix the product. Apply it as a uniform paste.
You keep believing that :rolleyes:
Honda is in the business of selling vehicles, when one fails they simply get to sell more :shrug1:
If Honda stakes their reputation on it, ask several of the master techs in the shop why they don't use it on their personal bikes ;)

Maybe Mellow should close this thread, now that the OP has received the info on the proper product to use.

Or modify the software so that every time "moly", "oil" or "tire" is typed, the poster immediately goes into search mode.

Maybe Mellow should close this thread, now that the OP has received the info on the proper product to use.
and deny Tx Red Rider the fun of reading 200 posts on the subject, no way!!

Back
Top Bottom