Considering to buy a 2002, but with a stalling / electrical issue

Hi there,
Not an ST owner yet, still on a VFR800, but I am considering to buy and import a ST1300 2002 with 100k miles on it. Normally I would steer away from such high-mileage motorbikes, but with good reviews and a ridiculously low price , I am considering it. The only major issue with the bike (apart from the last stamped service being at 60k miles) is as follows:
At one point, the current owner tried to start the bike, but the bike had minimal battery. The bike started and then shut down. Then removing the key, the backlight was still running. Having detatched the battery, the light went off (of course). After this happening, the bike have from time to time acted very strange. The owner claims that the issue arise when the running day light is put on. With only the parking lights on, there seems to be no issues. Hence, this is what he is normally running. When he experiences the issue, he unplugs one of the headlight bulbs. With the ignition off, then the rear light will also switch off and the bike could be started as usual.
He has replaced the contact point of both headlight bulbs and the start solinoid, but this did not solve the issue. Sometimes the bike would run problem-free for months, when suddenly the issue comes back.
Any idea what this could be? Should I steer away?
All input is highly appreciated.
Regards from Norway.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I would not walk away from this bike as Red One suggests.....I would RUN! :run1:
If Igofar says look for something else ....... pick up you binoculars and start looking.

As to the problem, my uneducated guess would involve the ignition switch and any relays associated with it. Something is not turning off in that circuit.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Is the back light -- the brake light or the running light ?
I am guessing that it is the brake light circuit since you did not say that the marker lights were on.
With it stuck on remove fuse B or fuse D to see which circuit it is.

Clean and lubricate.
Key switch
Rear brake light switch.
Front brake light switch.
Starter switch
Kill/run switch
Turn signal switch
Clutch lever switch
Side stand switch
While you are at it, do the horn, hazard, hi/lo and windshield switches.

Replace main stop relay and battery.

Check the that regulator is working (battery is charging)

Look at all the wiring for mouse bites or broken insulation.
Look at the big yellow connector for bad or corroded connections.
check the system ground connections.

If that does not do it. Then run and look else where...

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks a lot for the quick and helpful feedback - greatly appreciated. I will stand out from this buy and keep looking!

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
I'd put money on this being an issue with the yellow grounding block behind the dash, or perhaps the ground line in the multiway connector in the left fairing.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I would not walk away from this bike as Red One suggests.....I would RUN! :run1:
FWIW (not much, to be sure), I am often known as the contrarian. I'm also a certified cheap S.O.B., and my motto is "never pay retail."
Without specific pricing details, I would ask the seller to consider lowering his asking price, as in by half.
As an example, if he's asking for $2000, see if he will consider one thousand -- depends on your negotiating skills as well as his motivation. If you don't ask, the answer is always NO.
"Hey, man, it's not running, won't even start, so I'm taking all the risk here."
Could be something fairly simple, and when you get it running, you could conceivably sell it for close to his original asking price.
DISCLAIMER: when I disagree with @Igofar I am usually proven wrong. Still, I am hard-headed.
Not to mention, stubborn too.

Bike
2000 ST1100
This just reminds me of the used Cadillac I use to own. Headlights kept shutting off at night. I bought it used and replaced switches and solenoids and fuses and cleaned the grounds. Never did quite fix it completely. Also replaced 3 cooling fan modules in the time I owned it. It was a one owner and the dealership I bought it from provided me with the previous owners name and phone number. After talking to him for awhile he said he had those problems too and traded it in because they could not fix it.

OP
OP
Thanks again. To put it into context; in Norway where I live, the ST1300 from 2002 with semi-high mileage (60k+ mileskr will usually cost around 5500$+. The bike in question will cost me 1500$, which is a ridiculously low price, even with the faults, high mileage and lack of stamps from 60k miles. Here's the translated text from the ad:

Hi, I am selling my run-in in PanEuropean ST 1300, with 169900 km (100k miles) on the meter. Newly inspected in June, tires that roll for a while depending on which trips are planned. The condition is perfectly ok, but is not as nice as the pictures give the appearance of. Original top box. It has ABS brakes, want to mention it if you do not know the model. I have driven with a low window, which I intend to keep but everything can be discussed. I am short and with a low window you get a "naked" bike when you want and basically comprehensive when you drive up the electric window. It's absolutely awesome! The original box is of course included.
The heating handles are out of order, and there is an annoying earth fault. Everything else goes like a 2000 mile. Just drove a 90 mile turn, perfect motorcycle to ride two on. New brake pads all around.

And here is the ad for pictures:

Any input most welcome.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Earth fault is probably just a bad ground that needs cleaning- pretty typical for STs, especially those around a 'corrosive' environment like the ocean or where a lot of salt type stuff is used on the roads in winter. However, electrical 'gremlins' can make you pull your hair out before you can correct them.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Hmm, should be easy fixes, but you don't know what else is hiding... Equally, you might find a bike in perfect running condition that's a few hundred km away from a catastrophic failure, so... :)

Heated grips are an easy fix, the ground/stalling issue is most likely one of the grounds in the front end (plenty of recent threads here on the subject). If those are the only problems, you'll probably get a perfect machine for an additional ~2000NOK...

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Although, as with any ST, worth checking the SMC/brakes/etc too. I'd be more worried about signs of 'deferred maintenance' than the ground issue.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My guess would be your going to find damaged wires, and a melted yellow ground box….to begin with…
Then expect to replace the fuel pump, clutch slave cylinder, secondary master cylinder, caliper rebuilds all around, flange bearings. Possibly front wheel bearings, maybe fork seals, etc.
Unless you do your own work, that great deal could quickly turn into a money pit.
I would start pricing parts before you think about buying it etc.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Several on the forums here have done that, over the summer. Some have bought older / neglected ones just like the OP.
Armed with this insight, the OP could conceivably strike the proverbial gold mine, and use this list as legitimate leverage to negotiate with the seller. Chances are, the seller does not have the documents to prove when / IF this maintenance were ever done.
At least some of these service items need not be done immediately, so there might be some relatively instant gratification... like, getting to ride the thing.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My guess would be your going to find damaged wires, and a melted yellow ground box….to begin with…
Then expect to replace the fuel pump, clutch slave cylinder, secondary master cylinder, caliper rebuilds all around, flange bearings. Possibly front wheel bearings, maybe fork seals, etc.
Unless you do your own work, that great deal could quickly turn into a money pit.
I would start pricing parts before you think about buying it etc.
A little different perspective for consideration.

Everything on the above list, with the exception of the first line, I consider to have a high degree of probability that they will need to be done on any used ST that is purchased. These are known issues that need to be dealt with on any used ST1300, the exception being those that have a combination of very low mileage and/or proof of scheduled maintenance having been meticulously accomplished. Those types of ST1300's exist, but they are not always available when a person is in the market, and they usually command top dollar. For that reason, I would take all of those items off of the list of strikes against purchasing this motorcycle. These items would have to be considered as potential required maintenance expenditures that will need to be done to any other used ST that might be looked at as well. In that sense, this one is no better or no worse than any other used ST1300 that you might be considering, as it will have the same degree of possibility of needing these same repairs. That kind of levels the playing field, leaving only issues with this motorcycle that are not considered routine to analyze and decide how they influence this as a potential purchase.

That leaves the electrical issue to be decided upon. From your description, it sounds like a ground fault. That is something that is easily fixed even if it might be difficult to find. If that is the case, you will have found a good motorcycle at a ridiculously low price. The considerable amount of money that you stand to save on the purchase price will cover the cost of any routine repairs and maintenance items that are normally needed on any used ST1300 that has accumulated average mileage. You would most likely have to spend at least some of that same money on any other used ST1300 that you might purchase on top of a much higher price.

A recommendation to purchase this motorcycle or not can not be given as we can not evaluate it. What I am suggesting is that this electrical fault, based on your description, is probably easily fixed. This purchase should be evaluated based upon the condition and merits of the whole motorcycle, the same as you would evaluate any other potential purchase. It should not be disregarded simply because of the electrical issue. If the rest of the motorcycle appears to be a good purchase, then you must decide if you want to tackle fixing the electrical issue. If you do, you quite possibly might end up with a good ST1300 for a ridiculously low price.

Top Bottom