Does Honda hate ST Owners?

I wonder how much being in a Northern region changes this calculation in people's minds. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference there is in the way people prioritize their vehicular purchases and what they are willing to spend on them based on where they live as this influences their needs. With all other things being equal, I wonder if people who live in more motorcycle friendly Southern climates prioritize their motorcycle needs higher than Northerners do.
Again, even among Americans there are differences in values, priorities, and all those other things, obviously influenced to some extent by geography, and we see that clearly in election season.
But beyond that, yes @Andrew Shadow you are correct in your supposition... at least, speaking for myself.
Since I began riding at 13yo, I have been drawn to motorized 2-wheelers. When I was working for a "wage", and finally able to buy my own transportation, my first choice and my first purchase was a motorbike. After high school I rode it down to Orlando for my Navy training, and after that to Groton CT for my actual duty assignment. Didn't like the weather much, due to the shortened riding season.
Thus my ultimate decision to return to Alabama to live out my life... extended riding season. Which is quite literally, 364 days on average per year, due to the occasional freak snow gathering that happens by accident every few years, shutting down the city.
In fact, I do own a car, but my priority and preference and more money always go towards a bike. Especially now with a Bushtec trailer, I have less need for a cage, although I'll admit it can be "convenient."
My wife has her own car too, so yes, we are among the blessed people in the world.

That just makes us EXCEPTIONAL. :)
(I always knew I was "special.")

Again, someone is making the grave mistake of comparing the USA with the rest of the world.
A LOT of differences, on innumerable counts. Culture likely first, purchasing power (waning) for generations a good second, the expanse of the land mass many of us travel, and much, much more.
Human beings have our human nature in common, but when it comes to contrasting attitudes, ethics, values or virtually any other measure, Americans are NOT like the rest of the world.
Sometimes that works to our advantage, and other times, much less so.
well if I were building scooters focusing on where the market is might be a priority.

well if I were building scooters focusing on where the market is might be a priority.
If you were to open a new business, that would be a wise priority.
Even if you have deep, deep pockets like some of the Japanese or Euro makers, you can see the rationale of introducing new models overseas first, and concentrating parts there, and some of the other decisions they make.
The major bike makers sell here because even at lower than global sales, it's still a GOB of money Americans will spend on stuff. No real point in simply tossing that away altogether.

If you were to open a new business, that would be a wise priority.
Even if you have deep, deep pockets like some of the Japanese or Euro makers, you can see the rationale of introducing new models overseas first, and concentrating parts there, and some of the other decisions they make.
The major bike makers sell here because even at lower than global sales, it's still a GOB of money Americans will spend on stuff. No real point in simply tossing that away altogether.
yes. But they are not going to build a new st just for the American market for a few old farts. The American market is going to have to live with what sells cross the water for now.

Problem with most bean counter run companies is there products are designed around the "Average" size human . God help you if you are not in that mold.

yeah... in which way though... ;)
like:
53221213932_79a49d8be0_c.jpg

Why would anyone stay in the American market?

Why would anyone care about the American market with poor sales. From Adventure rider "
The United States is out of step with the rest of the world when it comes to motorcycle sales.

We’re not coming close to punching our weight, if our weight is measured by population and income level.

The volume of sales in other countries is driven by relatively low income people, primarily in 3rd world countries purchasing cheap transportation for use as a primary everyday vehicle. You'll find that these are low priced, small displacement bikes with few features and are certainly not touring, sport touring or adventure bikes. In the graph presented, only western Europe might be a comparable market to North America. I suspect that the displacement of motorcycles and their sale price in NA might be similar to western Europe, but would be dramatically different to almost all other markets.

The sparsely populated / vast expanse of North America combined with long stretches [and short stretches] where you're alone and learn to be self reliant or suffer is pretty much a memory.
The cell phone / cell phone network has pretty much gobbled it up.
The demand to know in real time everything has sunk into every aspect of life; adventure or heavens forbid; fear is to be avoided.
I think it's changing motorcycle buyers as well.

Strongly disagree; plenty of off the grid getaway left. :rofl1:

Tom
i will agree with you, Tom.
And i imagine some homesteaders in Tennessee were bemoaning "urban sprawl" a couple hundred years ago, and then the Texans before they became a state, after that.
Jeremiah Johnson, anyone?
I assure you, if you truly want to go off-grid in the USA, you could make it happen.

The sparsely populated / vast expanse of North America combined with long stretches [and short stretches] where you're alone and learn to be self reliant or suffer is pretty much a memory.
The cell phone / cell phone network has pretty much gobbled it up.
The demand to know in real time everything has sunk into every aspect of life; adventure or heavens forbid; fear is to be avoided.
I think it's changing motorcycle buyers as well.
Spread your wings a little and you will find this not to be true.

Canada is an incredibly immense country with an incredibly sparse population relative to its size, therefore sparse cell coverage as well in very large swaths of the country. Such a statement can only be true if a person either hop-scotches from city to city or only travels the areas surrounding the Trans-Canada network of highways. I live in a metropolitan area with a population of around 4.5 million people. I don't have to go more than about 60 km/35 miles from home and have no cell service.

The US is considerably smaller than Canada in total area and has a population of around 350 million people, so much more densely populated. It is also one of the countries with the greatest cell phone coverage as a percentage of its population. Even with that, when I travel in the US I am regularly and often in areas without cell coverage.

The US is considerably smaller than Canada in total area ...
Granted vast areas of Canada are inhospitable arctic tundra. Not sure where you got the area comparison though, unless you consider 2% considerable...
United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, making Canada 2% larger than United States.

Actually since motorcycles are land vehicles; the US is larger (considering land mass) than Canada. ;) But who's counting... :rofl1:

US. 9,147,593 sq km
Canada 9,093,507 sq km

Tom

Last edited:
Granted vast areas of Canada are inhospitable arctic tundra. Not sure where you got the area comparison though, unless you consider 2% considerable...
United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, making Canada 2% larger than United States.

Tom
I thought that the difference was more than that but regardless, that isn't the salient point of what I wrote, the population density is. Cell coverage largely follows population density. The US has a much higher population density and still has plenty of areas devoid of cell coverage was the point.

Besides, a difference of 150,000 sq km is big enough to squeeze in about 50 of those itty-bitty European countries isn't it? That's considerable.

Back
Top Bottom