Earbuds?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
What are you guys using? I have a pair of Westone CR1 custom molded. I got them in 2008. I guess my right ear has changed (they say they do) because the right earbuds keeps coming out when I take off my helmet. I paid $175 for mine in '08. They are $300 now!
I'm using Westone ES60 and love 'em. From what I was told: if your ear shape changes you can send them back to Westone and they can place your drivers into new housings.

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Anybody ever tried these?

https://www.plugfones.com/product/guardian/

For $25 it kinda makes you wonder what the difference is in sound quality is between these and the Splugs.
I can't vouch for the Guardian version, but I have the Basic Plugphones, and they seem to work good so far. I tired Mee in ear monitors, they sound great, but too big to get on with a helmet, the wire over the ear seems nice until the helmet grabs it and pulls them out of your ears. I tried some Jlab ear buds with Comply memory foam tips, but they seem to work their way out of the ear. The Plugphones are comfortable and stop a fair amount of background noise. I put my phone in my jacket chest pocket, and run the wire inside my jacket leaving just enough slack to turn my head.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm using Westone ES60 and love 'em. From what I was told: if your ear shape changes you can send them back to Westone and they can place your drivers into new housings.
I'll have to call them and see if they can remold my CR1's. I just can't see dropping $300 on a new set of Westone's. Mine have served me well but since I got a new helmet I've been having problems with the one in my right ear.

OP
OP
st11ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Just got my Plugphone Guardian's today. They sound pretty good, the fit with the silicone tips is very good and my helmet goes on and off like butter. When these wear out I will get the S Plugs like Joe posted earlier. Now I just need to road test them!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just got my Plugphone Guardian's today. They sound pretty good, the fit with the silicone tips is very good and my helmet goes on and off like butter. When these wear out I will get the S Plugs like Joe posted earlier. Now I just need to road test them!
I ordered some Plugphone Guardians as well to either have as a backup to my s-plugs or a cheaper alternative. Will let you know how they compare when I get them.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I purchased a set of LG wireless earbuds like these from Target for $69 when I did the run to Phoenix and back. Gave me 14+ hours of music/books per charge. Fit well enough in ear to be ok with helmet on/off. Something to consider if you want the Bluetooth connection instead of wired.
LG Headset Bluetooth
Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I purchased a set of LG wireless earbuds like these from Target for $69 when I did the run to Phoenix and back. Gave me 14+ hours of music/books per charge. Fit well enough in ear to be ok with helmet on/off. Something to consider if you want the Bluetooth connection instead of wired.
LG Headset Bluetooth
Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota
I love the bluetooth idea, but I ride in all weather and that would also ruin my neck tan[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a hearing loss, and normally wear hearing aids. On the bike, I wear earplugs so as not to get any further hearing loss.
With the earplugs in, I have to turn up the volume on my Sena SMH-10 to max, and that's just barely enough.
Recently bought the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones. They have 33db of sound isolation (as much as my earplugs), so now I am putting the sound directly into my ears, getting good noise isolation, and the Sena's volume can be dialed way down and still give me good volume.
And they set deeply into my ears and fit nicely under my helmet, without snagging it.
Only negative is that they have somewhat flimsy wires and I'm afraid I'll eventually pull them out. But so far, they work great.

BTW, I tried PlugFones awhile back - they were so bad (lousy sound and poor sound isolation), I trashed them.
'

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My experience is that the Plugfones produce more bass and better mid tones than the s-plugs. When using either s-plugs or plugfones the key to quality audio is proper installation. It took me awhile to get comfortable inserting them far enough to get the proper seal and sound quality.

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I ordered some Plugphone Guardians as well to either have as a backup to my s-plugs or a cheaper alternative. Will let you know how they compare when I get them.
I know this thread is a bit old, but any updates to share? Especially with the comparison of the Plugphone Guardians and the s-plugs?

Thanks,
Wes

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I know this thread is a bit old, but any updates to share? Especially with the comparison of the Plugphone Guardians and the s-plugs?

Thanks,
Wes
Sorry for no update, I returned them as soon as I got them, s‐plugs are just the perfect solution for me.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
check out the boltunes, with the wire. Around $35. Been all over the country with these and they r great. Cheap too! I always carry two sets. They hold a charge all day and cancell a ton of noise, si I can play the good noise. For you? A worthwhile gamble. get the ones with the wire, so they don't fall into a sewer when u remove your helmet.

Top Bottom