Electrical issues 2007 ST1300

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
No, but interesting. Need some more information. What's your battery voltage when that is happening, key off then key on? Is there any clicking sound under the seat or fairing that sounds like a relay click? Those lights seem rhythmic so relay. Flasher and signal light switches off? There isn't a headlight modulator in that bike is there, or other aftermarket add ons? If a headlight modulator one could think a bad ground and is grounding back through the headlight circuit.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
No, but interesting. Need some more information. What's your battery voltage when that is happening, key off then key on? Is there any clicking sound under the seat or fairing that sounds like a relay click? Those lights seem rhythmic so relay. Flasher and signal light switches off? There isn't a headlight modulator in that bike is there, or other aftermarket add ons? If a headlight modulator one could think a bad ground and is grounding back through the headlight circuit.
I just got the bike and I purchased a Haynes Manual but otherwise I don’t know much about it.
Thanks for posting. Sometimes when I switch the headlights from low to high beam the headlight flashes for a while and then stops. I don’t know why it does that.

I can stop the bike from doing that by pulling the headlight fuse. And it will run. I was also thinking it could be a bad ground.

it wasn’t doing this yesterday. It started doing it this morning cold and wouldn’t start. Now it starts.

I pulled all the relays earlier but it made no difference.

The battery is new. I rode the bike yesterday

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
There's a yellow grounding block in the front fairing (harness attached to the windscreen frame, quite easy to get to by removing the dash and plastic under the screen - unclip the mirror housings, then there are 8(?) screws, and the rest are clips. Raise the screen fully and you should be able to get it all apart without removing the screen)

If the grounding block has issues, this can prevent the bike from starting (it can backfeed 12V into ground for various components such as the kill switch, tipover sensor, etc etc). That, combined with a headlight modulator could cause the flashing dash perhaps.

My ground block looked fine, but removing the cap (with some difficulty admittedly) revealed a burnt connection. Holding the cap while the bike was switched on, and it quickly got quite warm! Wiggling it switched various lights and the fuel pump on and off :)

Cutting the block off, crimping ring terminals to each wire (14off) and a bolt is a decent 'fix', which could be further improved with an additional larger gauge wire providing another grounding point to nearby framework.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Sometimes when I switch the headlights from low to high beam the headlight flashes for a while and then stops. I don’t know why it does that.
To me that is a flag there and perhaps a modulator installed or a bad ground or a faulty low/high switch. LED or incandescent bulbs? I would see if you can see aftermarket wiring to the headlights and perhaps a little box up behind the headlights to see if there is something on that circuit. For starters I would think you should be able to see something from the top without pulling to much tupperware off. Also if you just got the bike, It would be a good time to pull plastic, go through it with fluid changes etc. That is another topic in itself. Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
There's a yellow grounding block in the front fairing (harness attached to the windscreen frame, quite easy to get to by removing the dash and plastic under the screen - unclip the mirror housings, then there are 8(?) screws, and the rest are clips. Raise the screen fully and you should be able to get it all apart without removing the screen)

If the grounding block has issues, this can prevent the bike from starting (it can backfeed 12V into ground for various components such as the kill switch, tipover sensor, etc etc). That, combined with a headlight modulator could cause the flashing dash perhaps.

My ground block looked fine, but removing the cap (with some difficulty admittedly) revealed a burnt connection. Holding the cap while the bike was switched on, and it quickly got quite warm! Wiggling it switched various lights and the fuel pump on and off :)

Cutting the block off, crimping ring terminals to each wire (14off) and a bolt is a decent 'fix', which could be further improved with an additional larger gauge wire providing another grounding point to nearby framework.
Thank you, this sounds right. The bike would not start this morning and the display was dull, I switched the headlight switch back and forth a few times and the display lit up and the bike started.

Now everything is all flashy and weird untill I turn it off and back on again.

:thumb:

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
To me that is a flag there and perhaps a modulator installed or a bad ground or a faulty low/high switch. LED or incandescent bulbs? I would see if you can see aftermarket wiring to the headlights and perhaps a little box up behind the headlights to see if there is something on that circuit. For starters I would think you should be able to see something from the top without pulling to much tupperware off. Also if you just got the bike, It would be a good time to pull plastic, go through it with fluid changes etc. That is another topic in itself. Welcome to the forum!
Yes, there could also be a bad modulator on there, guess I will find out when I take it apart. :thumb:

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Worth doing, even if only to give you a chance to give it a decent once-over :)

But you can get the dash off on it's own quite easily (although harder to get tools in there without taking the headlight out too)

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Worth doing, even if only to give you a chance to give it a decent once-over :)

But you can get the dash off on it's own quite easily (although harder to get tools in there without taking the headlight out too)
I was also thinking that.:)

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I will post updates. :thumb:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I used PIAA lights years ago.
While we wait for the electronical geniuses (or genii?) to appear, the multi-pin white connector looks more dirty, than burned. But you are certainly getting closer to the root cause, in my amateurish opinion.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I used PIAA lights years ago.
While we wait for the electronical geniuses (or genii?) to appear, the multi-pin white connector looks more dirty, than burned. But you are certainly getting closer to the root cause, in my amateurish opinion.
Still looking for the ground…

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nasty looking in here. 91F2DECF-B081-4F2C-B0B0-C80EE2077A02.jpegA99C2BD2-A618-46B6-B69B-D8DF5F81FCCE.jpeg3D615D56-9075-4602-A76B-EAB7EDE51CEC.jpeg
Run down the ground connections at the yellow buss above the RJ headlight already mentioned and check the condition of the inside of that white 24 pin connector in your picture. Weird or strange electrical issues of all types in the front half of the bike very often have in common a bad ground in these two connections. Solid green wires are ground conductors.

See post #3 in this thread.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Ah, the ground block is on the rhs of the bike, up behind the headlights. That large "white" connector looked similar on mine - mucky but the grease cleaned off OK (it keeps the water out)

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Ok. I’ve quit working on it for tonight. I have sprayed the connectors and wires with a plastic / paint safe degreaser. The previous owner had a fork seal leak and much of the gunk on the connectors is oil and
Dirt. I have found two additional relays and one odd looking relay or small black box on the right side under the front fairing. Does anyone know what that is? Sorry about the photo. I haven’t yet removed the right side fairing. That box looks suspect. I also see a yellow looking block under the lights. I guess the little black box could be the relay for the PIAA lights.

967EE927-A8D6-4EB8-B242-5BB4A95F4D35.jpeg

49C662EE-ABC0-4224-8FCB-2108B1F8E8C4.jpeg

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
^^^^ The relays above are the windshield up/down relays.

Top Bottom