Electrical issues 2007 ST1300

The left side of the yellow connector for grounds definitely has been hot... the metal clip is discolored, and the yellow plastic cover was melted to it, that's why you had a hard time getting it open. Resistance is causing the heat, you may be able to clean it and lower the resistance, or do the replacement as others have discussed. Basically, if you are melting plastic, you have a bad connection. There may be other areas bad as well, but you do need to address this spot.
My bad,,, I mistakenly entered a file photo (from the cbr1000 forum,,, I think), that definitely shows a burned yellow grounding block. I have edited that photo out of my post,,, and replaced it with a shot of Blue STars yellow block. Here is the correct photo's,,, and thanks for catching my mistake,, cheers,,, CAt'
ps: I promise not to do late night posts without my reading glasses in future,,, sorry for any confusion

Attachments

• 20211029_223146.jpg
    20211029_223146.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211101_220955.jpg
    20211101_220955.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20
I have never seen the purple connector on my bike. Not that I have looked.
It is underneath the PAIR solenoid,,, which is under the tank,, to the rear of the throttle bay. It is fairly easy to find,, if you have removed the solenoid (after removing the airbox),,, although it may still be taped up. As I recall,, there are two purple plugins down there,,, which should appear on the '03/'04 harness diagram. The recall kit that I purchased,,, nos on ebay,,, plugs into one of them,,, and provides additional grounding. I will post further on it,, when I get back in there. But with the focus currently on rebuilding the front end of the bike,,, that won't happen till spring. cheers,, CAt'

My bad,,, I mistakenly entered a file photo (from the cbr1000 forum,,, I think), that definitely shows a burned yellow grounding block. I have edited that photo out of my post,,, and replaced it with a shot of Blue STars yellow block. Here is the correct photo's,,, and thanks for catching my mistake,, cheers,,, CAt'
ps: I promise not to do late night posts without my reading glasses in future,,, sorry for any confusion
Ok , that's different... Never mind:)

and I have never seen the purple connector on my bike. Not that I have looked.
This may be the purple connector,, John. I don't want to say for sure,,, but I think I saw one or two connectors that fit that description. And one is visible in this photo. There may also be a reference to them in the fsm,, as diagnostic ports. The '03/'04 recall kit that I also picture here,, is supposed to plug into one such purple port,,, to enhance grounding. That was my understanding anyway,,, cheers,,, CAt'

20210202_223719.jpgkit1.jpg

Ah - I don't often delve under there - but I did 18 months ago, and took photos. I'll review my photos see if I captured it.

Thanks for that, its always good to know where these things are located.

John

I was prepping the yellow grounding block for re-assembly, by sanding the tarnish off the common strap. And spraying the contactors in the block with a contact cleaner. I will also clear each contactors space with a dental pick. One might instinctively reach for some dielectric grease,,, but since this is a grounding application,, wouldn't a conductive hi-temp grease be more appropriate ?? Has anyone ever used one ?? Here is a sample of one such product,,, which is a bit pricey,,, but would help improve connection within the block. Common permatex synthetic brake grease is also somewhat conductive,,, and good for 200c. Any electrical engineers or similar among us,, considered this ?? Cheers,,, CAt'

I wouldn't expect any grease, even conductive grease, to conduct electricity anywhere near as well as metal, and would be worried that it could mask a marginal connection that'll later get hot and cause problems (in the dark, raining, 100 miles from home of course!). So long as everything's making a good connection (make sure not to loosen the connectors with your dental pick, for example) any compatible waterproof grease will keep the connections clean and dry. The best greases for this will be silicone (compatible with insulation and plastic, doesn't melt and get 'drippy'), which is essentially what dielectric grease is.

Back
Top Bottom