Ethanol in the fuel system

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
An interesting video of a guy doing tests with ethanol fuels, pure gasoline and fuel stabilizer.

Reactions: TOS

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
God I wish that guy would have used his indoor voice instead of his wannabe DI voice. I couldn't finish the video.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hey Project Farm puts out some of the best videos on YouTube. He tests ALL KINDS of things and does a good job. Just did one on air filters. K%N gives more air at the expense of filtering. Surprise!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Not sure if I'm learning much, kinda hate the hype ..... First I would never have anywhere near that much water in fuel, just use fresh fuel, too obvious. Maybe that was more useful for those that use E85, don't most of us know already that stuff is bad? We know non-ethanol gasoline itself doesn't go bad for a long time (the experts say 1-2 years), but if it gets the opportunity to evaporate, there will be a gummy deposit left behind.... which is why you drain your carbs before storage. If you check the MSDS of many stabilizers and fuel conditioners, they contain naptha (slow-acting solvent that dissolves gums). Seafoam also contains isopropanol, a different type of alcohol that actually can take care of water really well, whereas ethanol is saturated at 4.5% and you get "phase separation" if the water level exceeds that. In a humid environment, that may take place in less than 2 weeks.
So basically to keep it simple, fresh non-ethanol fuel for storage, Seafoam as your stabilizer, and drain your carbs. Now if someone wants to debate the evils of ethanol for the economy and what it's really costing us.........

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The implication is that fuel stabilizer is fuel stabilizer is fuel stabilizer. I have not found that to be so. I have also not found much of anything from Lucas that I have continued to use. What I have settled on is Pri-G. In winter everything (bikes included) gets non-alcohol REC90 gas plus Pri-G. Low use items and small engine equipment get it year round. Happily my automatic transfer generator is propane powered, so no worries there. But the back-up gasoline genny; the pressure washer, chain saws, wood splitter, etc. all enjoy the stuff. My local small engine shop owner says that over half of his shop revenue is derived from alcohol laced gasoline use. So, he loves it, but doesn't use it in his own stuff.

Bike
VStrom 650
I can't say if Stabiliser is Stabilizer is Stabiliser. But, I only use Honda Pro. The bike has it in winter with the best E5 high octane I can find (no pure fuel available), typically 98 RON with good additives. The garden stuff gets Honda Pro all year round. Never had a fuel problem after a lay up, sometimes about 6 months.
What have I said :doh1:.
Upt'North.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’ve been using the Stabil brand Ethanol formula (I believe a 30 oz bottle is $12 from Lowes)- I use it with every tank of fuel, if the bike is stored or not and although it’s likely not needed as the bikes get used regularly (using mostly E10 and on occasion when available, non ethanol gas), and they start and run fine every time. Any engine requires regular use to keep the gas used and then refilled/ refreshed from time to time. I only experienced the pilot jet clogging once because the bike sat for a protracted time and I don’t think I used the stabilizer back then and don’t want to have it again.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Out of pure instinct I always avoided the ethanol stuff like holy water and choose premium fuels...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Pri-G is another naptha/Stoddard Solvent based product..... Seafoam might be cheaper by the gallon but you can usually find the smaller cans on sale for about same money overall as the gallon. Probably even cheaper if one can find pure naptha.

Great video ( turned the volume down) and a lot of good info from that and from you folks - I used Marvel Mystery Oil in my now deceased BMW R90/6 for top end treatment (in the air cooled Lycoming engine in the plane as well) and wonder if any of you ST1000 guys have any thoughts on using MMO in your bikes?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Great video ( turned the volume down) and a lot of good info from that and from you folks - I used Marvel Mystery Oil in my now deceased BMW R90/6 for top end treatment (in the air cooled Lycoming engine in the plane as well) and wonder if any of you ST1000 guys have any thoughts on using MMO in your bikes?
Larry LOVES the stuff.
Pri-G is another naptha/Stoddard Solvent based product..... Seafoam might be cheaper by the gallon but you can usually find the smaller cans on sale for about same money overall as the gallon. Probably even cheaper if one can find pure naptha.
I've seen naptha in cans (quart?) at paint stores in the solvent section. Not sure how pure it is.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My 1980 900Custom has 4 carbs, which I had to take off and clean when I bought the bike, 10 years ago. A real PITA, that I don't want to ever do again.
Right after, I started using StarTron - at every fill up, religiously. I use no other stabilizer, even over winter. I carry a small bottle wirh me, and add at each fill up.
After 10 years of Ethanol fuel, the bike starts right up, idles and runs great (even after winter storage) and no carb issues at all.
This stuff works - if you have carbs, I highly recommend using it regularly.

This bottle "treats 512 gallons", look for that label - ( they also sell a less concentrated version)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I second the StarTron recommendation from LARRYG. I started with SeaFoam and even used Techtron (very expensive). I use StarTron in both my carburetor and fuel injected motorcycles. I put in the recommended small amount at each fill up. Since you don't need a lot you can carry it in a small container so it isn't a big clunky bottle sloshing around.

This product prevents the phase separation of the water molecules, which to me is the worst aspect of the ethanol in the fuel. I have a local gas station that sells ethanol-free fuel in their premium, but not their other grades. This makes it great for my ST1300, but my other bikes don't run well on premium. Also, when I am traveling I can't always find ethanol-free gas. I do have the app that tells you where a lot of ethanol-free gas is available, but it is great for my peace of mind to have this product.

As a bonus, the place that I work at (Lowe's) sells this at a better price than most auto stores (it's in the outdoor power equipment area) and I get a discount so it is a no brainer for me. I didn't even know that we sold it until after I had started using it.

I also use StarTron the concentrated one shown above and have had no problems at all. It is especially useful in small engines as they are more susceptible to carb related ethanol fuel problems. I have used MMO and Techtron concentrate but stayed with StarTron. Regarding buying non ethanol fuel, unless it is a dedicated pump, you are getting what the person ahead of you purchased as much as gallon of fuel. I usually look for a Corvette ahead of me and get his leftovers. ;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
you are getting what the person ahead of you purchased as much as gallon of fuel.
Shell responded to a reporter's question about this that at their average self-serve pump set-up there is only about 1/2 litre (1 US pint) of fuel that remains in the system between the mixing valve and the nozzle. If that is accurate, a person would have to be buying a very small quantity of fuel for this residual amount to have any influence.

Not sure if I'm learning much, kinda hate the hype ..... First I would never have anywhere near that much water in fuel, just use fresh fuel, too obvious. Maybe that was more useful for those that use E85, don't most of us know already that stuff is bad? We know non-ethanol gasoline itself doesn't go bad for a long time (the experts say 1-2 years), but if it gets the opportunity to evaporate, there will be a gummy deposit left behind.... which is why you drain your carbs before storage. If you check the MSDS of many stabilizers and fuel conditioners, they contain naptha (slow-acting solvent that dissolves gums). Seafoam also contains isopropanol, a different type of alcohol that actually can take care of water really well, whereas ethanol is saturated at 4.5% and you get "phase separation" if the water level exceeds that. In a humid environment, that may take place in less than 2 weeks.
So basically to keep it simple, fresh non-ethanol fuel for storage, Seafoam as your stabilizer, and drain your carbs. Now if someone wants to debate the evils of ethanol for the economy and what it's really costing us.........
Good common sense advice.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Shell responded to a reporter's question about this that at their average self-serve pump set-up there is only about 1/2 litre (1 US pint) of fuel that remains in the system between the mixing valve and the nozzle. If that is accurate, a person would have to be buying a very small quantity of fuel for this residual amount to have any influence.
yeah... if you do the math, there's max 20 feet of hose/pipe back to the pump, 5/8 ID..... besides you really dilute it with a fillup... go fer it.!

Top Bottom