FJR vs R1200RT vs ?

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just found myself in the situation where I'm going to be traveling back and forth between Wisconsin and Massachusetts A LOT! I really like my KTM 890 Adventure, one of my all time favorite bikes. It does everything well. Thought I was done with big touring bikes but with 1100 miles of slab to do each way pretty much monthly I am rethinking things. The 890 is fine actually far better than fine but like most Adventure bikes it is at a disadvantage over a touring/sport touring bike when it comes to long days on the slab. So I've ridden both and ridden long distance on both. If you had to pick a bike for running 1100 miles of slab every 3 weeks which would it be? Before anyone says GoldWing I'm not sure I could live with either the seating position or the 800lbs weight. Other than that they are nice bikes.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If I were making this decision it would depend on what the bike will be used for. Is it in addition to the KTM, or in place of?

If it is in addition to, despite your protestations, Goldwing.
If you are keeping the KTM for the fun riding and are looking for something that will be a dedicated slab mile muncher for this monthly commute primarily- that bike is a Goldwing.
Because of its low centre of gravity and low seat height you would most likely find its weight less of an issue than the ST1300.

If it is in place of the KTM and this will be a combined slab mile muncher and fun bike, the FJR or RT are newer, lighter, have more convenience options, and have kept up with current technology while the ST1300 is old tech.

Then again, if this is to fill a need for only one summer, ST1300's can be had cheaply. You can't go wrong with any of the three, you just need to decide what it will be used for and how old of a ride you are willing to accept. There aren't any ST1300's around that are only a couple of years old, but there are many late model FJR's and RT's to be had.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
As a previous owner of an FJR (2018 6 speed w/cruise, heated grips etc) I'd prefer the FJR. Admittedly I have never owned one, but I have test ridden BMWs ( both boxers and the 6) I have also test ridden Goldwings. I preferred the FJR which is why I bought one. Personal preference. I believe they cost less, are more reliable, and its easier to find dealers. There's a reason so many Iron Butt contest riders use them.

Besides the BMW there are other options as well... Moto Guzzi Mandello and V85, Suzuki GSX1000 GT, Kawasaki 1000SX, Yamaha Tracer GT, KTM 1200,

But of all those, I'd still pick an FJR (2016 or newer) followed by the Suzuki and Kawasaki if I was looking for a more sporty chain drive ride. But then again I'm a Japanese liter plus 4 cyl kinda guy.

Since you asked for opinions

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
FJR or RT will work for your long days. Guessing a seat and windscreen might be in order on either but if you can find a used version with those already done that works even better. The FJR has to be the easiest bike to work on and do maintenance of any bike I have ever owned. On my second one now. 2014 and the cruise and ES suspension are very welcomed adders.

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just threw it out there to get some other opinions. Keeping the 890 Adventure no matter what and will use it to run back and forth to NE if need be. Sort of the wrong horse for that course. Not buying new. I loathe the idea of owning a BMW but I admit the RT does the job well. FJR is as reliable as a wheelbarrow, has about the right amount of tech without going overboard but it is dated. I like ST1300s although no cruise or heated grips on most. Grips are an easy add on but not looking to spend money making an old bike mine. Africa Twin is sort of on the list mostly because we don't get the NT1100. I'll figure it out.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just threw it out there to get some other opinions. Keeping the 890 Adventure no matter what and will use it to run back and forth to NE if need be. Sort of the wrong horse for that course. Not buying new. I loathe the idea of owning a BMW but I admit the RT does the job well. FJR is as reliable as a wheelbarrow, has about the right amount of tech without going overboard but it is dated. I like ST1300s although no cruise or heated grips on most. Grips are an easy add on but not looking to spend money making an old bike mine. Africa Twin is sort of on the list mostly because we don't get the NT1100. I'll figure it out.
The last of the camheads (2013s) are some of the best ever made. Oil cooled so no water cooling issues to deal with, valve jobs are dead easy and they are amazingly agile bikes but all day comfortable.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I have a 2014 FJRES that I love but unfortunately with a damaged knee I think we'll have to sell it if you're interested not to cross thread a thread

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last of the camheads were great bikes but my wife says "no more BMWs". Not to say I couldn't persuade her otherwise but had 2 that were nightmares.
There is a spot in my heart for red '14 FJRs. PM sent.
I was thinking a Triumph Trophy SE may be the best of all worlds if I could still find a low mileage one? That would be the '13-'17 model I think.

Reactions: Obo

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Last of the camheads were great bikes but my wife says "no more BMWs". Not to say I couldn't persuade her otherwise but had 2 that were nightmares.
There is a spot in my heart for red '14 FJRs. PM sent.
I was thinking a Triumph Trophy SE may be the best of all worlds if I could still find a low mileage one? That would be the '13-'17 model I think.
I tried a 2015 Trophy and was shocked by how top heavy it was. I’m 5’9” and was not comfortable with its weight.

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
I tried a 2015 Trophy and was shocked by how top heavy it was. I’m 5’9” and was not comfortable with its weight.
They are a bit top heavy compared to the RT but I don't think so bad compared to FJR. I also don't think they are a "forever" bike like an RT or FJR. From friends experience they seem to be pretty used up by 70,000 miles. In fact I personally don't know of any that made it past that without issues.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
FJR or RT will work for your long days. Guessing a seat and windscreen might be in order on either but if you can find a used version with those already done that works even better. The FJR has to be the easiest bike to work on and do maintenance of any bike I have ever owned. On my second one now. 2014 and the cruise and ES suspension are very welcomed adders.
Didn‘t I read, you sold the wing and got an RT? Is the FJ, in addition to the RT, or did you sell it?

Top Bottom