FJR vs R1200RT vs ?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Every tuck out there has U joints exposed to the environment and failures are rare. I would think it might have to do with drive shaft angles. If your building a car a incorrect drive shaft angle can cause all kinds of problems. I really BMW would identify the fault.
They are also much more heavy duty u-joints vs what we have on our bikes I would assume.. plus some of those have zerks to keep them lubed.. not available to us..

GS bikes appear to be the heavy hitter here as those bikes are more likely to cross rivers and also deal w/extreme angles going over tough terrain..

It doesn't really concern me much... I'll keep checking the DS and the replacement is very easy vs a u-joint on an ST so that's a good thing.

BMW identifying the fault... HAAAA!... this should be in the laughing section... admitting wrong will never happen.

Bike
R1200rt
They are also much more heavy duty u-joints vs what we have on our bikes I would assume.. plus some of those have zerks to keep them lubed.. not available to us..

GS bikes appear to be the heavy hitter here as those bikes are more likely to cross rivers and also deal w/extreme angles going over tough terrain..

It doesn't really concern me much... I'll keep checking the DS and the replacement is very easy vs a u-joint on an ST so that's a good thing.

BMW identifying the fault... HAAAA!... this should be in the laughing section... admitting wrong will never happen.
zerks are like dinosaurs...history.

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
My posed Q was really rhetoric and aimed at a scattershot statement that was not true. The thread nominally is about choices between certain bikes and the RT isn’t even included in this service campaign. I’m plugged into the BMW community and knew the details of the service campaign but it is good to post the details.
Seems the statement was not scattershot, was true, and does include RTs. It is also about one of the bikes that was up for discussion. My opinion is having to replace driveshafts at 36,000 miles is ridiculous, a modern chain can go that far. The service bulletin and other events took the RT out of contention for me. Still think the RT is a decent touring bike just not the one for me.

I'm not sure the problem was any more an issue with the GS than the RT. One needs only to look at the last 20 years of Iron Butt Rallies to see how many BMWs dropped out because of final drive failures. I remember some years back several BMW riders starting The Rally with spare drive shafts strapped to their bikes! That to me is a sad statement about a bikes reliability. Also could be seen as an amazing statement of brand loyalty! If you remember for a long time the corporate line from BMW is 'there is no problem with our final drives"!

Forget using trucks as an example of longevity how about GoldWings. While they're too big for my tastes don't hear much about final drive issues with them.

Just to be straight I am not one for bashing any brand including BMW.

I just found myself in the situation where I'm going to be traveling back and forth between Wisconsin and Massachusetts A LOT! I really like my KTM 890 Adventure, one of my all time favorite bikes. It does everything well. Thought I was done with big touring bikes but with 1100 miles of slab to do each way pretty much monthly I am rethinking things. The 890 is fine actually far better than fine but like most Adventure bikes it is at a disadvantage over a touring/sport touring bike when it comes to long days on the slab. So I've ridden both and ridden long distance on both. If you had to pick a bike for running 1100 miles of slab every 3 weeks which would it be? Before anyone says GoldWing I'm not sure I could live with either the seating position or the 800lbs weight. Other than that they are nice bikes.
I personally would choose the FJR1300. But I’m on my third one as I love them so much I keep coming back to them. Current one being a 2020 model year. Had an ST1300 between 2005-2010. Had GoldWing’s prior to that.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Donk,

If the intent is to cover highway miles, I'd recommend a 2001-17 Goldwing. Nothing on 2 wheels is more comfortable and eats up interstate highways better. The weight really isn't a problem and the price is right. These are 300,000 mile bikes so they are just getting broken in good at 100,000 miles. The 2018+ Goldwing will get better gas mileage but is arguably less comfortable for long distance highway miles. The ST-1300 is a real good second but you will need to add cruise control, heated grips, etc, if you want these. ABS is always a good option to get.

My two cents...

JohnConner
:bluegw: :usflag1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
IMO, a cruise control ratchets up the mile-munching capacity of any touring bike beyond what one might think.

Is it necessary?

Of course not. Countless millions of miles have been racked up before, and since this convenience was created and adopted.

But it's a game changer, for some of us, and to omit it from any current production mid-to-large displacement machine is a gross oversight.

YOMV.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Seems the statement was not scattershot, was true, and does include RTs. It is also about one of the bikes that was up for discussion. My opinion is having to replace driveshafts at 36,000 miles is ridiculous, a modern chain can go that far. The service bulletin and other events took the RT out of contention for me. Still think the RT is a decent touring bike just not the one for me.

I'm not sure the problem was any more an issue with the GS than the RT. One needs only to look at the last 20 years of Iron Butt Rallies to see how many BMWs dropped out because of final drive failures. I remember some years back several BMW riders starting The Rally with spare drive shafts strapped to their bikes! That to me is a sad statement about a bikes reliability. Also could be seen as an amazing statement of brand loyalty! If you remember for a long time the corporate line from BMW is 'there is no problem with our final drives"!

Forget using trucks as an example of longevity how about GoldWings. While they're too big for my tastes don't hear much about final drive issues with them.

Just to be straight I am not one for bashing any brand including BMW.
My bad, I was thinking of the earlier vent and inspection service campaign for the GS and police-only RTs. It did not include civilian RT models. I stand corrected here.

Still, the latest campaign still does not include all years and models and it is voluntary and not a mandatory recall. If I owned a model covered in the service action I would avail myself of a free DS if offered for the peace of mind though actual problems on 2013-2023s have been very rare. I replaced the DS in my '07 with a rebuilt OEM about 30,000 miles ago with 120,500 miles on the original out of an abundance of caution. BMW has yet to build a drive train as reliable as a Honda but yet brand loyalty is very strong for both marques.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I've got over 62 on my 2015 FJR and have had no issues. Main thing is to go sit on, ride them and choose what you like.

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hope to be posting results next week. I want to thank everyone for their input. Always good to hear other people's opinion. Never know when a new idea or angle may be presented even looking at bikes we've all been looking at forever.

It is interesting no one ever mentions Moto Guzzi as a shaft drive alternative. They are quirky if that works for you, it wouldn't work for me. They do have a very loyal brand following and seem to be decent bikes.

Lots of good bikes out there. Kind of like picking the flavor ice cream you like, there is no really wrong answer.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
It is interesting no one ever mentions Moto Guzzi as a shaft drive alternative. They are quirky if that works for you, it wouldn't work for me. They do have a very loyal brand following and seem to be decent bikes.
uhhh see post # 11 ;)

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have ridden about 5 different Guzzis .... Breva 750, Eldorado, Griso, Norge, V7, Love looking at them, but they are too quirky for me too

OP
OP
Donk
Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah I'm not sure how long it takes for a quirk to turn into an irritant. Just the cruise control switch and light on a Guzzi would drive me batty before long.

I like boring, boring is good. Boring is when a machine does it's job so well, with no drama so there is nothing to get excited about. Drive a bike into a corner a little to hot and you will appreciate boring.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was parts manager for a year six years ago in a multi line dealership featuring Honda, Triumph, Piaggio - Vespa/Aprilia/MG. Italians didn’t do logistics like the rest of the industrial world then and they didn’t key part numbers to models and model years like the rest of the motorcycle world. Order something sometimes 3 times before the right part arrived or order 1 of something and get 10. I hope that’s changed.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I like boring, boring is good. Boring is when a machine does it's job so well, with no drama so there is nothing to get excited about.
AMEN

My NC 750X DCT is like that. (although it could use more power, a drive shaft and cruise control lol)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Your chain will last as long as a BMW drive shaft and costs a lot less.
Based on what information? I replaced my BMW R1200RT drive shaft out of caution at 120,488 miles. Replaced with rebuilt shaft for $320. Chain on the NC700X now at 21,948 and will need replacement soon as a few kinks showing up. Chain kit w/ sprockets currently about $150. I usually get 15-18,000 miles out of a chain and drive sprocket but this one doing better. Likely the NC will take 5 chains to one BMW shaft. How's that math work out?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I never got more than 30k miles from any chain, and that was stretching it.
Yeah, I said it.
Even with a well-adjusted ScottOiler.
But I like big-hp bikes, like the KTM 950 and the Blackbird and the CBR600.
Probably pushed the BMW f650gs the longest on a single chain. The sprockets looked like saw blades off of a circular saw.

Top Bottom