Fork Fluid Leak?

It worked!

Just used a small screw driver to stretch the dust cover...<snip>...

:eek: Next time don't touch the tube with anything like a screwdriver, lest you create a ding or scratch on the fork tube that damages the seal and starts it leaking again. This time a seal saver won't help. A much better practice would be to pry the dust seal up out of the lower leg and then slide it up out of your way and keep hard tools away!

I dont clean out the seals after every ride. Just after noticing a leak.
A total seal blow out this will not solve...a small leak it may. Most small leaks dont loose a lot of fluid. Just enough to collect some dust around the seal area.

x2 on not prying on the dust seal just pop/slide it up out of the way!

Glad it worked! I always pry the dust covers up then clean the area real well under the dust cover, then do the negative trick.
Sometimes the leaks come back...sometimes they dont!:biker:

Yes it came back after a long ride in the rain, I,ll pull both them apart and replace seals,bushings, and fluid when I get back home.

I see an issue with the 'clean the debris out' method.

By cleaning after every buggy ride you'd keep them clean; but, I don't think cleaning after noticing a leak will keep your forks working properly.
Now you do not know how much fork oil is in the fork...

Yes I thought of that I was just hoping I wouldn't half to cancel the trip to get parts to fix it right.

Back
Top Bottom