Friday March 1st Café.

And not just any old shocks. Bilsteins no less.
@SupraSabre I take it they act like helper springs? I can seen you will retain the original cart springs too.
Upt.

Yeah, they are "helper" springs. When I told Chris about them, I informed her that the big rigs use them (bigger ones of course).

I actually picked up the Bilsteins "used", they came off a TRD Off Road Tacoma with zero miles. I have the front Struts to go with them. I'll put them on later.

But losing the internet is a whole new level of disappointment, frustration and irritation.

Another conundrum with installing the new internet/network router. I downloaded the install app that said to hook up everything. Did that, no problem. To access the settings I have to have an account. Did that. They’re sending a verification number in an email. Now, how the heck do I receive an email if I can’t access the router/internet? Unhook everything, connect the old equipment. Download the activation code, which had expired after 5 minutes. Hook up new router, ask for a resend of activation code, but this time I hurried to change equipment before the code expired. Whew……But I’m back.

@Sadlsor I guess it’s easy to confuse routers since they both deal with bits.

John

This was the inspiration / basic idea for the sewing center design but due to space constraints I made some changes in the design, to reduce the overall width. My version won't have the large storage space on the right, and the five drawers to the left of the foot well in the original will move to the right side in mine. As with the inspiration, there'll be doors to hide the machine and footwell when the thing's not in use; they double as the supports for the parts of the top that are hinged when they're in their "deployed" positions.
1709323877661.png

The base is beginning to take shape... still a long way to go, though, before I achieve Final Victory.

Among other things, until Mrs. Fun actually chooses and takes possession of her new sewing machine I won't know exactly where to mount the lift, which also means I won't be cutting a hole in the top any time soon nor will I be ordering the surrounding plate, that fills the gap between the desktop and the working surface of the machine it holds. But I can keep working away on the base in the meantime.

Dry assembly is always a good way to test for fit, plus it's a great opportunity to test-drive the clamping sequence / process when there's actual glue involved. So far so good, I think.
P1050567.JPG

I'll install quarter inch plywood "shelves" into each dado, as supports for the yet-to-be-laid-out drawers. But now I know how tall, wide, and deep each drawer can be, at a maximum, as well as the dimensions of the shelves that will support them. The drawers won't have any hardware or mounting rails; basically they'll be open-top plywood boxes with "half moon" indentations at the tops to make it possible to pull them out. A bit of beeswax on the bottoms should make sliding them in and out very easy.
P1050570.JPG

Looks like a solid (used intentionally) start, Keith.
This is not one of those "hurry up and get it done" kinda projects.
What will you be using for the "plate"... some kind of steel? I recall a number of swanky sewing machine cabinets my mom used through the years with equally swanky sewing computers, but she was a bonafide seamstress. She made my sisters' dresses and clothes, did a damn fine job of making one sister's wedding dress (yeah, really), and also later created and sewed christening gowns for wealthy peoples' babies.
Let's not get started on her knitting creations. She truly was a wonder.
Of course, allowing me to grow older without killing me was a miracle in its own right.

I recall a number of swanky sewing machine cabinets my mom used through the years with equally swanky sewing computers, but she was a bonafide seamstress. She made my sisters' dresses and clothes, did a damn fine job of making one sister's wedding dress (yeah, really), and also later created and sewed christening gowns for wealthy peoples' babies.

Still have your childhood white frock - err nightgown?

1709326182346.png

What will you be using for the "plate"... some kind of steel?

No, either thick acrylic or whatever it is they make router table inserts from. And, it'll probably be something I buy commercially then fit to the table. It's not structural or load bearing, just a space filler so there's not a large gap between the desktop surface and the sewing machine itself.

you should be using carpenters tape instead of painters tape... at least until it's time to finish it.

I can't tell whether that's a serious comment or just @Obo being his usually goofy self. In point of fact I've found that blue tape is great for doing rough layout (i.e. Sharpie-level precision when rough-cutting parts from stock) as well as for masking the edges of a glue joint so the squeeze out stays above the to-be-finished surface. It's also good for attaching temporary labels that identify parts, orientations, etc. In the photos above I've used it in lieu of clamps for attaching some small bits of trim to the sawn edge of plywood. Tomorrow morning I'll peel it off and plane the trim to final dimensions.

I can't tell whether that's a serious comment or just @Obo being his usually goofy self.
Check the price- probably why you have never heard of it.

Reactions: Obo
Check the price- probably why you have never heard of it.

YOWZA. At the rate I've been going through the blue stuff I'd have added a couple hundred dollars to the price of the project to use that. And, since it's got adhesive on both sides it wouldn't be suitable for many of the purposes for which I've used the cheap stuff.

I can see where it would be handy for tasks like temporarily placing pattern templates for router work, though. It might be worth the price to get one roll for that purpose; since there's a Woodcraft store just a few miles from me, you may have inadvertently added an errand to my day's to-do list since I do have some routing to do and it has to be rather precise.

Reactions: Obo
Back
Top Bottom