Front turn signal connectors

1600517392621.png

Does anyone have experience with removing these pins from the turn signal connector. I've tried a pin removing tool inserting from the front face but I cant get the electrical pins to release. I may have the wrong tool?

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many years ago hobby shops carried bras tubes about 12" long in various diameters. As they began to fade away, hardware stores started carrying the same display. I was intrigued and bought one of every size - they nest - from about 1/4" on down. I occasionally have a use for them, but in recent years have discovered that they work nicely to remove these round electrical pins. I'm sure someone makes the appropriately sized tool (tube) to remove the pins in the turn signal connector, but you might have to try several. The brass tubes I found are still sold in larger hardware stores, and the displays now carry stainless steel, brass, and some copper tubes as well as square section and sheet metal. I found the display in Hartville Hardware, a mega super hardware/home builder's store of the Hopot flavor but a one off store.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
There are kits available for many types and sizes. Google pin extractor.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I think on that type a plastic tongue latches into the terminal.. have to pry that back..... I use a sharp straight dental pick for that... or darning needle. Lightly clamp it in a vice so you can tug on the wire as you hold that tab.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does anyone have experience with removing these pins from the turn signal connector.
I contacted cycleterminal.com a seller of some OEM Honda connectors I wanted and they had no specific tool to remove the contacts from the connector. They sold some but said they weren't designed for that connector. So if you find something fiddle-less please advise.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I've found that sometimes you have to push slightly on the wire/pin while using the extraction device (tool, brass tube, microscrewdriver, pick, needle, etc) to get the locking tabs to release before pulling to remove the pin, usually because there's a slight shoulder for them to catch against or wire tension has embedded them slightly into the plastic shroud.

The left turn signal fell off when the PO bumped the mirror in his garage. The assembly fell and the spade (male?) in the connector fell out & was lost. I am trying to find the part that goes to the turn signal. My parts look like the photo in this thread. Does anyone have any advice. I have no blinking turn signal. Please advise. Thanks.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
are we talking about the 1100 or 1300?

mine (1100) got ripped away in a crash a few years ago, and when I tried to find a similar connector online I wasn't able to find anything, it seems like it was a custom connector Honda had made for the application. I ended up just soldering the wires and that's worked for about 5 years without incident.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
@dwalby That abomination of a connector is on the 1300.

This may be coming completely from left field but it was during the install of turn signal LEDs at the edges of my mirrors that I first came to loathe these things. Not just horrible connectors, but two per side? Really??

I clipped the wires and replaced the two connectors with a single three terminal Hitachi connector per side; similar to many other connectors also used on the bike, such as at the quartet harness.

Here's a kit with those connectors and terminals on Amazon for a great price. If you ever get a quartet harness and wish to connect accessories other than OEM Honda ones, this is the way to go. I've connected my heated grips, GPS and USB power outlet into that harness with these connectors and they've more than paid for themselves in my opinion.
WMYCONGCONG 400 PCS 2.8mm 2 3 4 6 9 Pin Automotive Electrical Wire Connectors Pin Header Crimp Wire Terminals and 25 Kits 4mm Car Motorcycle Bullet Terminal Wire Connector

You do need a suitable terminal crimper to do this right but those can be had cheap as well at Amazon as well.

1623884291232.png

My motive was to hardwire the LEDs into the turn signal circuit with a connector because I permanently attached the LEDs to the mirror edge with hot glue. There was no easy way to connect into that circuit without using a wire tap (which I loathe more than those connectors), so I piggybaked the hot and ground of the LED strip into the hot and ground terminals of the signal lights. The only downside is that I needed to trim about an inch of wire from each side of the connector so that all three wires were the same length. There's sufficient excess that the connector can be accessed outside the body panel, but if it falls into it I just tug on the lead for the LEDs to fish it out.

Here's my end result.

1623887646144.png

1623887691941.png

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think Easternbeaver.com has those oem type hitachi connectors. I'm pretty sure I bought them there. Of course, if you don't buy $100 worth of stuff from him the shipping eats you alive.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
yeah, I'm not surprised. I soldered mine because I figured I'm never going to remove the mirror/turn signal anyway, so what's the difference? I said if the soldered connection proves to be unreliable then I'll cut the wire and splice in a connector like you did, but so far that hasn't been necessary. But, now that I said it out loud it will fail next week.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I think Easternbeaver.com has those oem type hitachi connectors. I'm pretty sure I bought them there. Of course, if you don't buy $100 worth of stuff from him the shipping eats you alive.
Yeah, and as much as I like Eastern Beaver, you don't get 5 sets of each connector for $12USD shipped (if you have Amazon Prime)

Bike
06 ST1300

This may be coming completely from left field but it was during the install of turn signal LEDs at the edges of my mirrors that I first came to loathe these things. Not just horrible connectors, but two per side? Really??

I clipped the wires and replaced the two connectors with a single three terminal Hitachi connector per side; similar to many other connectors also used on the bike, such as at the quartet harness.

Here's a kit with those connectors and terminals on Amazon for a great price. If you ever get a quartet harness and wish to connect accessories other than OEM Honda ones, this is the way to go. I've connected my heated grips, GPS and USB power outlet into that harness with these connectors and they've more than paid for themselves in my opinion.
WMYCONGCONG 400 PCS 2.8mm 2 3 4 6 9 Pin Automotive Electrical Wire Connectors Pin Header Crimp Wire Terminals and 25 Kits 4mm Car Motorcycle Bullet Terminal Wire Connector

You do need a suitable terminal crimper to do this right but those can be had cheap as well at Amazon as well.

1623884291232.png

My motive was to hardwire the LEDs into the turn signal circuit with a connector because I permanently attached the LEDs to the mirror edge with hot glue. There was no easy way to connect into that circuit without using a wire tap (which I loathe more than those connectors), so I piggybaked the hot and ground of the LED strip into the hot and ground terminals of the signal lights. The only downside is that I needed to trim about an inch of wire from each side of the connector so that all three wires were the same length. There's sufficient excess that the connector can be accessed outside the body panel, but if it falls into it I just tug on the lead for the LEDs to fish it out.

Here's my end result.

1623887646144.png

1623887691941.png
Hello and sorry to bother you. I've seen the turn signal reminder leds in the mirror vent edge and want to add that as a blinker left on reminder- I'm going a little crazy trying to find a source, part number, where to buy, of the light itself. your install pictures look exactly like what I want to do. Any advice on where you got your lights would be very much appreciated! Thanks, Dave D

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hello and sorry to bother you. I've seen the turn signal reminder leds in the mirror vent edge and want to add that as a blinker left on reminder- I'm going a little crazy trying to find a source, part number, where to buy, of the light itself. your install pictures look exactly like what I want to do. Any advice on where you got your lights would be very much appreciated! Thanks, Dave D
Hi @DaveD , the lights I used were from Oznium. here's a link to them on their site.

The 1.2" strips contain 3 LEDs. Order the amber color. As I show in the photos above, I also replaced the gawd awful OEM connectors for some Hitachi connectors and combined the running light and turn signals into a single connector. I also inserted a connector for these LEDs which is fed from the bike side of the connector to the OEM indicators. Lets me easily disconnect the whole system.

Not a fan of wiretaps at all, btw...

Bike
06 ST1300
Hi @DaveD , the lights I used were from Oznium. here's a link to them on their site.

The 1.2" strips contain 3 LEDs. Order the amber color. As I show in the photos above, I also replaced the gawd awful OEM connectors for some Hitachi connectors and combined the running light and turn signals into a single connector. I also inserted a connector for these LEDs which is fed from the bike side of the connector to the OEM indicators. Lets me easily disconnect the whole system.

Not a fan of wiretaps at all, btw...
Awesome and thanks for the link. I'll replace the connectors too. Gotta have reliable connections and I always solder when doing the electrical stuff. I'm a little taller and also just added a Sykik 2 camera screen to the upper dash so that is blocking the left turn signal lamp even more. Can't go for a ride so may as well tinker! Thanks again.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Screenshot_20221209-211153_Samsung Internet.jpg
I bought the above. You gotta practice

Study

Top Bottom