Garmin GPS - Motorcycle Model or Automotive Model?

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
My Garmin 2820 GPS has served me well, but it is no longer reliable and I am looking to replace it for use on my ST. Looking at GPS's on the Garmin website, I noticed a significant difference in price between motorcycle vs automotive models. Other than being waterproof, do the features of the motorcycle models justify the higher price?

Bike
VStrom 650
TRN, it all depends what you are looking for, if you're happy to download an off line road map app to your phone and put it in a $50.00 Givi waterproof case, then you could save yourself a lot of wonga.
It'll get you where you are going as will the motorcycle specific GPS, maybe not as fancy, maybe with some compromise but a lot cheaper.
It's up to you fella, I only use sat nav on the mobile as a last resort, I'm not a technophobe, just don't like listening to the sat nav all day.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I use a car GPS, too, a Garmin 2460LMT. I have two, and three mounts, so I only have to move a unit when I switch vehicles.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Last time I checked, the 395 LM was selling for $300. There's a 396 now, so the price dropped a hundred bucks.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
TRN, it all depends what you are looking for, if you're happy to download an off road map app to your phone and put it in a $50.00 Givi waterproof case, then you could save yourself a lot of wonga.
It'll get you where you are going as will the motorcycle specific GPS, maybe not as fancy, maybe with some compromise but a lot cheaper.
It's up to you fella, I only use sat nav on the mobile as a last resort, I'm not a technophobe, just don't like listening to the sat nav all day.
Upt'North.
Wonga, had to look that one up :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The way I use my bikes and a GPS, at least for now, I use a Zumo.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does the feature of selecting "fun roads to ride" on the motorcycle model justify the higher price?
Using Mapsource or Basecamp to find and route those kinds of roads near home or 500 miles away is a big reason to use a GPS in the first place. I’m not expecting to use that feature much. Weather resistance, abundance of secure mounting options, glove friendly use are important to me.

It seems to me the higher the price, the poorer the reviews....lol I was reading some Nav reviews and a Garmin car unit kept showing up for bike use, don't remember which one though....

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Like others have said, it really depends on what you want from it. I've always had Zumo units and did all of the trip planning when traveling with my buddy. He had a car model with audio out to plug into his headset. If we got separated he knew where we were going. He has switched to Zumo units after he was bitten by the Ironbutt bug though. Routing mandatory stops and not having to worry about the weather changed that. My neighbor has been using car units for years with no issues.

Kind of like choosing between a Barbie doll blonde, or the girl next door type burnette.

Sent using Tapatalk

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Be aware that the most significant (to riders such as we are) difference between the Garmin automotive GPS units and the Garmin motorcycle specific automotive units is that with the motorcycle units, you can create a "customized" route on your PC or Mac using Basecamp and then download that route to the GPS. In other words, you can tweak the path that the route takes on the computer until you have exactly the route layout you want - then transfer that route to the navigator using a USB cable.

The majority - if not all - of the automotive units do not offer the ability to have a route that has been created on a PC or Mac downloaded to them.

To me, that is the key difference between the automotive & motorcycle navigators. Things like waterproofing, twisty roads, fuel monitoring, etc. on the motorcycle units are 'features', but they are not necessarily benefits.

So, to sum up - before you buy an automotive unit, be sure you can download custom routes to it (and later activate them) if that is important to you.

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
Automotive units are not built to withstand the vibration a motorcycle can dish out. My Nuvi expired after two or three years on my bike, and I got a Zumo - factory refinished after that model had expired. Every gps has quirks and you have to learn them and accomodate (unfortunately its not the other way 'round).

Something else to consider is the Zumo is waterproof. The Nuvi's are not necessarily wp, but a plastic bag works wonders and they are pretty cheap. You just have to remember to stop and cover the Nuvi when the downpour hits (or before). Not a biggie, but I usually ride into the rain until I think it is not going to stop and by then its too late to cover the gps.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Related question: How do you cover your bike if it's already raining when you get home? :shrug2:

Footnote: I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Bike
2007 ST1300
Other than being waterproof, do the features of the motorcycle models justify the higher price?
I like to use motorcycle specific everything -- including GPS. If you look there are probably some deals out there. I still have my original Zumo 550 and boy has it been rained on. Trust it 100%

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Something else to consider is the Zumo is waterproof. The Nuvi's are not necessarily wp, but a plastic bag works wonders and they are pretty cheap. You just have to remember to stop and cover the Nuvi when the downpour hits (or before). Not a biggie, but I usually ride into the rain until I think it is not going to stop and by then its too late to cover the gps.
+1 The baggie solution sounds good on a forum thread, not so much out in the real world. BTDT.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
If you intend to use it on a motorcycle for several years, get a water-proof one. Eventually you will be traveling in unfamiliar territory and you will hit a rainstorm. It's hard to know where to go when your GPS is in your saddlebag. Another thing to think about is Bluetooth capability, if you are using a sena or scala.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I have a Garmin 2445 LMT that I gave £30 for on Ebay . It has free lifetime map updates and I installed all the latest software and maps - don't need to be nagged by it so sound switched off and just use it as needed. Suits me fine and will use it more when I go abroad to France next year. I also bought a waterproof case with clear screen in it in case of rain, but shouldn't have a problem as mounted behind the screen!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a Garmin 2445 LMT that I gave £30 for on Ebay . It has free lifetime map updates and I installed all the latest software and maps - don't need to be nagged by it so sound switched off and just use it as needed. Suits me fine and will use it more when I go abroad to France next year. I also bought a waterproof case with clear screen in it in case of rain, but shouldn't have a problem as mounted behind the screen!
IME, a fair amount of rain gets behind the screen when riding in the rain. Plus, you have to stop at some point. ;)

FWIW, I tried using an auto GPS for a couple years. It's main issues were creating custom routes and rain. A motorcycle specific GPS takes care of both. If you need one or both of these features, get a GPS that covers both.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Does the feature of selecting "fun roads to ride" on the motorcycle model justify the higher price?
No, but the Zumo's come with a motorcycle mount and all the wiring necessary to hard wire it. That's more than a $100 option if you buy it separately. I have two Zumo's, a 390 LM with TPMS on the Goldwing and a 396 LMT-S on the ST. Love them both. They are waterproof and easy to remove from the mount when you stop for lunch. I also understand there is a locking device available aftermarket, although I don't see the need for it. I can also take it off and plan a trip while I am setting in the AC or do it on the road. Or, I can use BaseCamp to plan my routes and then upload it to the Zumo via a cable or a micro card. IMHO, the Zumo's are well worth the monies you spend for them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom