Garmin GPS - Motorcycle Model or Automotive Model?

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I've been wrestling with this question myself lately. I've been using an old automotive TomTom on the bike and it works pretty well, but I can't get map updates for it. I use it with the following water resistant case/Ram mount I got off Amazon for $20 which handles anything with up to a 5 inch screen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5A38MA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really would rather not sink $4 - 600 into a GPS, and have been considering a new Garmin automotive unit. The Drive 52 with traffic goes for $169 and works with BaseCamp and Trip Planner. I may go for that, or check eBay for a deal on a refurbished MC unit.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
For me, I find having a stand-alone TPMS system is better that one built into the GPS. I always want to see my TPMS, but I don't always use my GPS, nor do I want to just to see the TPMS.

Bike
2010 ST1300
+1 The baggie solution sounds good on a forum thread, not so much out in the real world. BTDT.
I agree. I did it when needed for the two years or so I used my Nuvi. The cord got in the way as did the ram mount, and the wind. Electrical tape took care of most of the issues, but not my being too cheap to buy a waterproof device (Zumo). When the Nuvi started getting temperamental - intermittent failures - from vibration, I called it quits. I'm not the only guy who doesn't (didn't) want to spend a boatload of $$ on a Zumo, but I did. (My bike came with a waterproof case for a phone or gps, but it was too big and clunky for me. I lost it, fast.)

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I've decided to spend the extra "Wonga" and buy the motorcycle specific GPS (zumo 595LM). Here are my reasons:
- Its waterproof. I can't predict when its going to rain and I don't want to deal with baggies and aftermarket waterproof cases.
- Automotive GPS models are not tested to the motorcycle vibration. Was able to contact Garmin to determine this. Not sure if this a major concern for the V4 ST1300, but I appreciate SMSW sharing his experience with vibration using a Nuvi GPS.
- I appreciate when folks share routes with me and the Zumo makes this possible/easier. I don't plan on participating in the Iron Butt Rally anytime soon, but have enjoyed following routes I've created as well as routes others have shared.
- My current Garmin motorcycle GPS (2820) has been awesome. I've had it for a really long time and it has been rock solid until recently. I expect the new Garmin GPS to last me through the end of my motorcycling days. The 2820 has some issues finding satellites, but I will continue to keep it on my bike until it dies completely.
I'm still undecided about whether to buy the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor).

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm still undecided about whether to buy the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor).
I have the Garmin TPMS sensors for the 595 and I am very happy with them. The setup is easy and only has to be done once.

The sensors use an uncommon battery size. You have to be careful when buying batteries to ensure that they are "fresh" (meaning, they haven't been sitting on the shelf for 10 years). The first year I had the sensors, I went through 3 sets of batteries and was pretty annoyed - I thought the sensors were eating the batteries. The next year I bought batteries from a different source and they lasted a full year.

I think it is worth the money to get the sensors - they provide a lot of peace of mind, and you don't have to constantly be crouching down at the tire, getting brake disc dust all over your hands while checking pressure with a gauge. I suggest that when you set the sensors up, you set the trigger point (warning point) 4 PSI below your target value - this way, you won't get nuisance warnings if you park the bike outside and it gets cold overnight.

An unexpected benefit of having the sensors is very early detection of small leaks, and the ability to rapidly assess the rate of leakage. The GPS will display a low pressure message at startup whenever a tire pressure is below the trigger point. So, if you have a small leak that is losing 1 PSI per day, you will figure out the leak rate pretty easily after 2 or 3 days.

Another benefit is much improved awareness of tire pressure changes due to significant changes in the outside air temperature. A few days ago, I rode from Georgia (80°F when I left) to Toronto (39°F when I arrived), and I was given a low pressure message after a meal stop just before crossing the border. The tire was at the correct pressure leaving Georgia, but when it cooled down (after being parked) to 39°, the pressure had dropped about 3 pounds. No leak in the tire, the drop was due to ambient air temperature change.

I believe that you need to use metal valve stems if you install the sensors - go to the Garmin site and download the instruction manual for the sensors before you buy them.

Michael

Last edited:
Top Bottom