George's Spring Trip 2010

Don't worry, George has the special ST1100 Tip Over Saddlebag/Mirron Cover combination installed on his bike... Danny might have some too. not sure.

Steves "new" V-Strom....isn't new any longer. :) At least he got a few photos when it WAS new. LOL

They're in a very tough spot....for certain "gold star" territory on the AdV Riders site. ;-)

Wow that day sounds like it was an adventure! Hope today is a better day with better roads. You guys stay safe out there! Looking foward to more of this great trip!

:usflag1:

Looks like they did make it to Frontera Echeverria this morning and took a look at the boat river crossing....and it also looks like that was a bust. They returned to Tecnica. It appears they are "in town" now.

Danny just sent me several text msgs.

Says they are out of the REALLY dangerous rock road and discussing business w/boat transport people... all good people mostly so far, no sense of threat at all.

They got some great pics, including beached ST shots. Only cell svc where they are, no wifi.

They are debating; Steve wants to backtrack to pavement, George wants to have the adventure of three men, three motos, one row boat. :)

Danny sez "I knew he was nuts, but this is over the top." :D

Asked him about fuel situation: He sez "fuel not an issue but we may consider lightening the load to lift and ramp the bikes into the boat...

Danny's on the fence with this idea, Steve wants to backtrack, Geo wants to do the boat if possible. Danny sez "it's not at all clear how this can work"

He sez "Yesterday ranks as the worst mc day ever. Spooked Steve an me, empowered George."

Sez he took a dump this morning in the dark, then looked back and saw a 3-inch black scorpion walking through it. Yikes!

He sez: Great scenes, great country, wish the roads matched, but maybe then it would not be the same...

OK, they've made a decision. SPOT will reveal all in a little while.

George asks Kim to call Deba in Kingman and give her the OK word...

Whew...Steve won! (maybe) Looks like they are heading for pavement. Well...I take it back. The track is funny....different from what I had just 30 minutes ago. I'm not sure where the heck they are....

The spot hasn't updated in several hours, since 7:43 (is that central time?). It may be turned off. I've texted Danny and let him know.

OK, spot's updating again. Looks like they passed on the boat ride and are headed back to the pavement.

Now...I hope they don't get in a hurry. Instead of saving a day....this will cost them two additional days. It's easy to "push" in situations like this. I know....I've done it and paid a price. It *usually* never works out well when you hurry. :)

My bet is that they take a right soon and attempt a better river crossing...

I can only see the roads from the satellite view.

We will know shortly.

Bob

There are very few "legal" crossing points. They may be able to cross...but if they do without proper immigration paperwork complete....it would/could be a huge problem if they have trouble or need help in Mexico. I know there was an immigration office at Frontera Echeverr?a (where they were)....not sure about other crossings. They have a crossing w/boats (not sure about size) here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/...-de-las-americas/transport/getting-there-away

To give you an idea about this area of Mexico/Guatemala....a comment on that page, "The arrival of foreign travelers might raise eyebrows at Benem?rito’s river embarcadero (1km off the main street); the traffic here seems to run more toward contraband than tourists."

Add: They don't have an immigration office in Benemerito....they have to travel here to clear customs/immigration after entering Mexico: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/tabasco-and-chiapas/frontera-corozal Formally called...yep, you guessed it....right back to where they were...but on the Mexico side of the river, Frontera Echeverr?a.

OK...I'm voting to head for Belize....then into Mexico via Chetumal..... :) Although.....

Looks like you are correct. Didn't know about the nuances of boarder crossings.....

Seems like they are traveling rapidly for an unpaved road - 9 miles in 23 minutes or approx. 25mph.

Those guys can ride gravel at 25 mph easily, if the surface is level (i.e. no big ruts or rocks). They will probably hit Hwy 5 and head NE....shooting for the lake. They may make the border by dark...but it's unlikely. Looks like one more night in Guatemala for the guys....but in some new territory. Once in Belize....they'll exit on the same/only road out to the north. The area they are going to travel in....past the lake is jungle/highlands to the left...and farm/valley land to the right.

Travel in the "real" third world involves dealing with natural features....take a large river for instance. :) Most of the rivers in Central America....really do get to the ocean (unlike in N. America)...I promise! There are very few crossings. Hurricain Mitch...took out most of the road/bridge infrustruction and most hasn't been repaired/replaced. (Mitch killed over 25,000 folks in Central America...a big storm)

I think those guys are heading for Orange Walk, Belize....they mentioned something about "staying there" on the "way back". I don't think they can get there today....not before dark.

To give everyone an idea about the roads these guys are now traveling....if you have the Spotwalla site up....and you see the nice big yellow HWY 5 line, to the east of their current track....here's a flckr web site with some images from Guatemala Hwy 5 :) A regular super hwy...well for Central America. [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/43564051@N00/4183053557/"]Guatemala "highway" 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2695/4183053557_d8035b847e_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4183053557@@AMEPARAM@@d8035b847e This is a link to the blogger taking those photos: http://tdf.joepemberton.com/tag/guatemala/ and a quote about Hwy 5 in his blog, "I had some trouble finding HWY 5 initially. Guatemala City is huge and confusing, and highway signage leaves something to be desired. Something I still have not managed to figure out is exactly how to parse highway signs here. For example: I’ll be riding down a highway, such as CA-1 (the panamerican highway), and ahead I’ll see a sign which says, “Guatemala City (CA-1), continue right” and below it, “Antigua Guatemala (CA-1), continue left”. What does this mean? Does CA-1 continue to the right, or to the left? Highways don’t branch in the States, and as near as I can tell, the don’t in Meixco or Guatemala, either, but the signage is very misleading on this point.
Anyways, on to the ride. Highway 5 from Guatemala City to the city of Rabinal is not completely… well, complete. There is an 80 mile section which has yet to be paved. This is why I took the KLR and not the Ducati! I let out some air from both tires and continued on to the dirt."

Back
Top Bottom