Going Dark

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My GYTT is 7 23/32 " wide , I had to sand off the decorative ribs on the widest 2" of the tire , both sides , to get it down to that . which is about 1 mm clearance on both sides to the black plastic inner fender of my '07 ST1300 from rubbing.
I have 3 mm clearance to the final drive shaft housing , after I filed that flat between the radii tangents in the widest tire area .
No way will a almost 9" wide tire work .

Last edited:
OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
My GYTT is 7 23/32 " wide , I had to sand off the decorative ribs on the widest 2" of the tire , both sides , to get it down to that . which is about 1 mm clearance on both sides to the black plastic inner fender of my '07 ST1300 from rubbing.
I have 3 mm clearance to the final drive shaft housing , after I filed that flat between the radii tangents in the widest tire area .
No way will a 9" wide tire work .
That 9" is unmounted, will the tire suck in enough to get the ever so slight clearance needed to make it work?

Do you know what the width of your GYTT was before mounting by chance?

Everything I read for the last month or two had led me to believe this Hankook v12 had the best shot at fitting up with no issues. I'm just curious if there is that much of an overall width difference from V12 to V12 from the factory.

I'm prepared for the slight grinding of the swingarm, but right now, my install guy just doesn't see a way this works.

One of the other thread I read from a few years back was a Falken tire that measured 8 7/8" unmounted and in the end he said it all fit.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just trying to decide my next move - have him mount the tire to the rim and see what happens or cut my losses and order another MC tire and just have him put that on - sucky part is a few more days of no riding if I go that route :(

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
That 9" is unmounted, will the tire suck in enough to get the ever so slight clearance needed to make it work?

Do you know what the width of your GYTT was before mounting by chance?

Everything I read for the last month or two had led me to believe this Hankook v12 had the best shot at fitting up with no issues. I'm just curious if there is that much of an overall width difference from V12 to V12 from the factory.
I never measured unmounted, but many times folks have commented on how they think it won't fit, but it does. I've done 2 GYTTs now and they look wider then they blow up to be.

The V12 was an easy fit in the past, I've BTDT. The V12 version 2, I'm not sure.

My personal opinion, mount it and squeeze it in using the sliding plastic trick.

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
I never measured unmounted, but many times folks have commented on how they think it won't fit, but it does. I've done 2 GYTTs now and they look wider then they blow up to be.

The V12 was an easy fit in the past, I've BTDT. The V12 version 2, I'm not sure.

My personal opinion, mount it and squeeze it in using the sliding plastic trick.
Thanks again for the reply, I asked him to just mount it and see what happens and sure as hell, success!

Mounted and ready to be picked up in the morning! I can't wait to test it out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mounted and ready to be picked up in the morning! I can't wait to test it out.
Congratulations! A quick (or not -your call) ride report would be appreciated. I ride stock tires for the moment so I have no clue about D and DD. But as others have said lower air pressure seems to be the key to decent handling and a smooth ride. ~26psi or so seems to be the ballpark figure.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The Hankook I used (Ver.1) needed a little higher pressure to keep it from having an annoying twitch when you exit a corner while accelerating. I think about 36 psi, but it's been a long time.

I'd say start around 32 and break it in for a thousand miles. Go from there.... just GO!! o_O

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Just back from the installer, got about a 30 mile ride back, mostly straight highways.

Definitely will take a little getting used to in the corners, going to have to play with the psi and the preload set up, seemed a little stiff.

On that note, I got home and attempted to turn the preload down (I know I had it all the way up when the MC tire gave out) and I can't get it to budge. Is there something that could have gotten "locked up" during the install or when the tire went flat last week?

I have it up in the center stand and it's just flat out locked, will not budge.

Anyone have that issue before?

I'll give a more detailed ride report after I get some real miles on it.

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
On that note, I got home and attempted to turn the preload down (I know I had it all the way up when the MC tire gave out) and I can't get it to budge. Is there something that could have gotten "locked up" during the install or when the tire went flat last week?

I have it up in the center stand and it's just flat out locked, will not budge.
Maybe your installer backed it off during installation.

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Maybe your installer backed it off during installation.
I've cranked it with everything I've got either way and just won't move? This is weird, I definitely feel like the bike is a bit stiff with just me on it (should be almost perfect for two up) and I'd like to be able to crank her down a bit to find the sweet spot so to speak between the adjuster and the tire pressure, but I'm kind of at a standstill til I can figure this out?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
There is the graduated scale by the knob, so you should be able to tell if it screwed on or out.

Might be easier to pull it out and work with it on the bench. When's the last time you filled it?

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I run my GYTT @ 32 psi , handled well in the Rockies , I sure don't see how you got clearance with an almost 9" wide tire though , Mine is the bare minimum at 7 23/32 " wide , ( I measured it last night - I bought tire already mounted on a wheel from Don in Florida so don't know unmounted width , but with 32 psi in it , I can't imagine it being much wider than the mounted width , at the tread )

After sanding off the decorative side ribs for clearance :

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Trick to getting the tire ( hankook ) on for me was a plastic bag .... stuffed it in the swingarm sides and the tire went right in
( orig read that trick here )
Yep , I used 2 of the thick plastic bags from my water softener salt & carry them with me at the bottom of a saddlebag , just in case I need them on the road some reason .

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Wondering if someone can post thread for dark side tires that we can use? Car tires for our beloved ST 1300?
I have read several posts but they are old. Rear tires
So far I have found the following 3 tires fit for sure. 205/70r17
BF Goodrich g force comp 2
Hankook Ventura V 12
Hankook Ventura S1 noble 2
Toyo Extenza HP.
Goodyear TT, I don't know what TT is?
Of course, none of these are available in my city. So what other car tires can I buy that others say will fit.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Happy Rob
Goodyear TT = GoodYear Trible Tred
I believe they updated the name to:
Assurance Trible Tred

As for getting a tire not available in your area. Just go to online.
I order my Hankook through Walmart online and delivered to my home.

Went to darkside this year too.

20210708_112016.jpg

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I have the GoodYear Triple Tred on my '07 , but not sure if you can get those anymore , I tried to get them for my Outback in 08/2019 and was told they were discontinued . I had to change to the Assurance WeatherReady , as a GYTT replacement , but they are an asymmetrical tread pattern - the GYTT are symmetrical tread pattern . Not sure if asymmetrical still works good as a MC rear tire ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom