Goldwing GL1800 vs ST1300

alright, melloe, sherob, guess i am almost sold on the idea of a wing. my reasons:

1. I HATE twisties of CA. never learnt to enjoy them.
2. right now wife is not here, finishing her studies in india, when she is finally here in a few months, all our trips will be 2-up, and fully loaded.
3. I can get the short clearview shield if needed.
4. I could not figure how to pack tent and one sleeping bag on the st when doing two-up trips. wing has a lot of space plus the trunk rack seems very sturdy than the one on my givi.
5. I can live with 200 mile range.
6. I can live with no tankbags, they are anyways a small hassle to take on and off when stopping at a place to eat.

Just went to look at the 01 yellow w/ 65k miles at milpitas. Battery died on the spot so could not get it started. It is for $10.5k as final price.

Another 02 yellow w/ 20k miles am very serious about is at pasco, WA and asking 12.3k. Even though my wife hates colors like this bright yellow, I will ask her permission on grounds of better visibility and more safety for us :)

Wish me luck.

The saddle bags and trunk are just a little bigger than what an ST will hold w/Givi box. The Wing looks like it will hold a lot more but that is just a visual trick. It will hold a little more. The trunk rack is only rated at 10lbs but I've seen quite a few load the kitchen sink on one.

If twisties aren't your priority and two-up riding is then I feel the Wing would be a good choice.

hmm, now this is a little surprise, wing will hold a "little" more ? I thought wingers bring half of what they own on camping trips. but so far I have not seen a single photo of a loaded st13 in a 2-up trip with camping gear. I spent a lot of time yday at the dealer trying to figure where the tent+thermarest and the rolled-up 40F sleeping bag will go. on a wing i will put them on the trunk rack without second thought, but what about an st13.

On a second thought, it is possible to put a wide rack on the st13 instead of the givi, and tie a big bag there which will also be a backrest for the wife.

damn why am I not 100% decided still ?

hmm, now this is a little surprise, wing will hold a "little" more ? I thought wingers bring half of what they own on camping trips. but so far I have not seen a single photo of a loaded st13 in a 2-up trip with camping gear. I spent a lot of time yday at the dealer trying to figure where the tent+thermarest and the rolled-up 40F sleeping bag will go. on a wing i will put them on the trunk rack without second thought, but what about an st13.

On a second thought, it is possible to put a wide rack on the st13 instead of the givi, and tie a big bag there which will also be a backrest for the wife.

damn why am I not 100% decided still ?

Have you packed for camping 2-up on your Connie before?

The trunk on a wing is a limiting factor if you are trying to pack as much as you'd like. No trunk on an ST and you can load it down. nm6r has some pics somewhere of his setup and they camp..

Heck - buy a uni-go and you'll save a ton of money from buying a wing and get enough extra packing room that you'll love it.

now, thanks to mellow, this just saved me from the $$$ in the wing deal and am feeling happy about it.

yes I have packed my connie like hell on trips (1-up and 2-up) and I just loved the bungee buddies. I tie the tent and sleeping bag on the sides to keep the cg down. for the st13, i will just remove the givi, and attach a rack and put a big bag there. didn't know that st13 could pull trailers, but will check out the uni-go.

now, thanks to mellow, this just saved me from the $$$ in the wing deal and am feeling happy about it.

yes I have packed my connie like hell on trips (1-up and 2-up) and I just loved the bungee buddies. I tie the tent and sleeping bag on the sides to keep the cg down. for the st13, i will just remove the givi, and attach a rack and put a big bag there. didn't know that st13 could pull trailers, but will check out the uni-go.

I believe I have actually saved you $,$$$ .. therefore, I'll only ask for 20% of that .. let's see .20 X $,$$$ = .... .... .. ah.... $800.. yeah.. that's it.. I'll PM you my address so you can send a check...

motomac and diggers1300 both pull a uni-go with the ST, dond has pulled a 2 wheeled bushtec trailer with his ST and georgeorge has also pulled a homemade trailer.

There are a few more affordable trailer options than the uni-go if you get to that point but I'd suggest you practice on what you can pack on the ST.. then, either get smaller tents, sleeping bags, etc or look at things you don't need to bring..

See guys, sometimes I actually steer someone away from the Wing.. it's not really a conspiracy.... :popcorn

motomac has also pulled his Bunkhouse with his ST. from Bozeman MT to Redmond WA to Napanee ON to Canton OH. I won't do it again, but it worked for that trip.

motomac has also pulled his Bunkhouse with his ST. from Bozeman MT to Redmond WA to Napanee ON to Canton OH. I won't do it again, but it worked for that trip.

How much does that thing weigh?

bunkhouse, what is that ? I would love to see some pics of those 2-up setups on the st13. am now fully on the pursuit of a st13 again. feels very good, like getting myself back from the guilt-laden road !!!

Mellow et al; with all this consideration going into Joy's decision,,,would we all be in consensus that he test ride at least one of these machines before he buys one? Joy's a personal friend of mine but Im about to kill him because he seems adamant about not doing so. Especially because he flip flops so much with what he wants from week to week. I have a wing(props to Mellow, big fan from the GL1800 forum) and have offered him to ride it, ANNND I have a friend who has an ST whom I am trying to procure thru a trade of the wing, for him to try. Now wudn't any one of u in a similar situation jump at the chance? Or for that matter, when actually test riding a used one, when one's chief complaint is highway vibes and noise, take one out on the freeway for a little taste? When I bought my Connie, I test rode one and knew about all its shortcommings. 2 years later Im still in love(I know, I'm a pretty boring rider) but my point is to taste what it is ur after before making the descision. He is almost defiant to be purely academic about this with his research and endless rationalization. We've been over this in the other forum, emails, and in person. I hope that maybe u guys might talk him into really riding one of the fine machines. In the end, it is his descision to hopefully make. I just wanted him to have all the facts AND a little experience in making it.

I would say a test ride is a very smart idea... if he's on the fence from week to week then maybe an actual ride will sway him one way or the other.

I didn't test ride my first wing but it was so much like the valk as far as seating and such I was sure I'd like it.. I didn't test ride the ST1300 I had and the 1st 15 mins on the bike I thought I'd made a mistake.. but then I got used to it..

I don't think it's necessary to test ride one but I was lucky, I liked the bikes I had regardless and there wasn't any one thing that was such a turn off that I had to get rid of it quickly. But, I do think it's a smart thing to do.

Bottom line is that Lisa (my wife) wants an ST1300 as well and we will keep the GL solely for 2up riding. After she tookd the ST for a longer ride she wasn't happy going back to the Wing.

Reiner

Reiner,

Interesting read, thanks.

What this *really* means is that Lisa is a very *intelligent* wife! :D

Mark

After taking a short test ride recently, two up with my wife on a Wing, my wife summed it up in this way:

The Wing was more comfortable but the ST is substantually more fun. Although the ride was not very long on the Wing, she preferred riding the ST for the fun factor. She actually gets to ride the ST while on the Wing, she felt she would do nothing more than sleep.

Much farther down the road, something like the Wing might be in order but for now, she much prefered the ST.

It's possible... a different pilot would have made a different... :eek:4: :clap2: :popcorn

LOL! True...the ride wasn't long, it wasn't my bike, and I wasn't going to push anything on a bike I wasn't familure with.

Yeah... that's why I never ride other people's bikes... I just hate the thought of even a simple blemish on it because my boot touched it somewhere..so, even if I did, I'm sure I wouldn't 'play' like I would if it were a dealer demo... :shock:

All,

I put 45,000 miles on a '94 ST1100 and 16,000 miles on an '05 Gold Wing, and right now hoping to win an '05 ST1300 on eBay.

So: I always got 50 mpg on both my ST and GL1800. I really missed the extra 50-75 mile range due to the GL smaller tank.

The GL was really nimble, but in a ponderous kind of way. One Nice Thing: I had ground my riding boots down to the leather on the ST, but on the GL the boot/ground contact point was in a different place - wheeee- a fresh grinding patch.

I missed the tank bag a lot on the GL (Why did Honda have to take up so much space with all those radio controls?).

Bottom line: The GL was super comfortable, but the ST STole my heart. I found that trading the ST for a 'Wing just so the wife would ride (she didn't) was a poor bargain.

'Geezer

Originally Posted by mshihrer
"Wings are cool. I plan on getting one when I move into the assisted living development here in town".

Well, I'm finally home from The Assisted Living Facility and I think I'm in the market for a Goldwing. Yep, I'm Old and I'm looking for COMFORT! I don't mind having to Fuel Up more often! I just don't want to loose a lot of MPG. What can I expect to Loose on a Wing? They say the center of gravity is lower on a Wing. They don't give ZIPO Awards! They don't seem to fall over all the time. Electric Reverse would sure be nice at My Age! Especially if my legs end up being a little Weak, After That 19 Year Old Ran Me Down! I'm tall enough and strong enough to handle a Wing and My S.O. says O.K. I'll still only ride Solo. After what happened Last October, I'm not sure that I would be willing to be responsible for Anyone Else's SAFETY! All Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Alicia, I've only had my GL1800 for 4 months and I got it so the SO could ride with her degenerative back condition, and to help with my arthritic knees. As several have said before, the ST and GL are both great bikes but serve a similar but different experience. The ergos change with a GL where the lower gravity and ride position help you get the knees bent more at stop signs, red lights and parking, and this was a big benefit in my case. Much easier to "manhandle" the bike in these situations. One up, this couch rocket will continue to amaze, and still lots of fun in the twisties (although you can scrape the pegs easier). Two up, you still might not notice anyone is with you and easier to balance than two up on an ST. Most of the riders I go with have to fuel up before I do (400 kms or 250 miles per tank), but nothing matches the ST for range.
All I can do is suggest you go for a long ride, see if it's right for you after you get used to it. If it is, look for a good low mileage used one. They will last forever, just like the ST's, and maybe you can keep BOTH!!!!

Alicia...

The reverse will come in handy when needed if you have leg problems moving the bike out of spots... even just backing out of gravel, it gives you a peace of mind about dropping it ;)

The lower center of gravity makes it easier, for me anyway, to move it around tight spots, parking lots.

The Kury bag you have (I have one too) straps right up to the grab rails :D Makes a nice back support for those long rides :p:

I have found that cagers seem to see the big Wing, not so with the ST... even a red one... PIAA's... brights on... :rolleyes: Don't know if it's because of the lights, bigger bike, what? :rolleyes:

You will find the stock seat a blessing in it's original form :bow1:

Go find one and take it for a nice long ride... park it... put it in reverse and walk it out... do some slow stuff... ride it some more. I think you'll really be surprised by how easily it handles.

JMHO. ;)

Back
Top Bottom