Good starter bike for Father-in-law

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I was on Shoei web site today and saw a X-Eleven helmet that was painted up with Stars and Stripes and a Bald Eagle. Anyhow I was messing with my wife and said that her father needs to buy a bike so he can get this helmet as I knew he would like the design. Her response was "Yeah he wants to, so he must have spoken with you." Well he hadn't. I asked him about it and he said that he has been thinking about it. I guess some of his buddies in Florida have bikes and they go out for rides on Saturdays. He thought it would be kind of fun for that or if he needed to run to town for something when my Mother-in-law has thier other vehicle. I should mention that they only take one car down to Florida over the winter and he leaves his truck here in Minnesota. So there are times where he would use it to run around town. They live in a gated community where they use golf carts so that is used for most running around real close but there would be some use other than these rides.

So he doesn't have a MC license. He said he rode dirt bikes when he was a kid. So nothing in many years. I told him that because he has a Florida Driver's License he would have to wait until he gets back to Florida before getting a permit or attending a MSF course. He just changed his residency over to Florida so he isn't going to change it back to get his permit here. He can wait until this fall when he heads back down there.

I asked what he is interested in for a bike to see if I can come up with any good options for him. I mentioned that the ST isn't a real good starter bike and while I have never been on a Wing I didn't thing they would be very good either because of the weight. Several of the family members ride so there are some with Wings, Harleys and me on the ST to give advice.

He has a back that can give him problems so that is another reason the ST may be out but eventually if he gets into it enough a Wing might be a good option. He mentioend that he liked the look of the new Honda Fury but I don't know if he should spend that much on a bike that he doesn't know if he will like riding. He mentioned that there was a neighbor that has an older Interstate. He was helping him look for parts and came across one for $2500. He thought that wouldn't be too bad. I mentioned that it would be a heavy bike to learn on. I am thinking a cruiser wouldn't be too bad. He would want something that has or can have saddle bags to meet the requirement to haul things if he needed to run to town to pick up something small.

So I am thinking something like a Shadow would be pretty good. I think they have saddle bags for them. I think if he got something in the 600-750cc range he wouldn't grow out of it too quick and would be able to hang with the guys on the bigger bikes. How is this bike for a starter or is it still too much? Any other ideas on what to look for?

It depends on what style of bike trips his trigger. If cruisers are what he likes, I would suggest starting with a used mid size. If he likes your ST, I would think something like a used FZ6 or SV would be a good place to start. After he rides one for 6 months or so, he'll know whether or not he is going to like it. Then he can upgrade to something that will suit his style. JMO

I have been pushing him to do the MSF course first. But I told him to wait until he gets to Florida. They won't let him do it here without a Minnesota permit. Since he is a Florida resident it doesn't make any sense. He agrees and wants to take the course. So that battle is won.

I think he likes the cruisers from his mention that he liked the new Honda Fury. I have seen used 750 Shadows going for $3500-5000. I figure that this wouldn't be too bad. I understand the value in getting him on one of those little 250 starter bikes but honestly if it were me that would cause me not to get into riding. If he were to tip over a 750 Shadow I can't imagine that the repair cost would be much different than one of those little 250 cruisers. Also I think the 250 would have a hard time keeping up with the bigger bikes that the others are riding. I think there are some guys with Gold Wings. If they got out on the highway he would really have to run it all out to keep up.

I have never owned a cruiser so I really don't know. I went from a dirt bike to the ST1100. That was a big jump but I had a lot of time on the dirt bikes and not as long of a break without riding. I do know that it isn't cheap when you tip over a bike with plastic like the ST.

I was working on my ST the other night doing an oil change and replacing the head lights. He came out and wanted to help but I was done and just putting the last bits of plastic back on. He mentioned that some of they guys down there had bikes but didn't say anything about wanting to get into it to me then.

How old is your Father Outlaw and what is his stature?

Oh I don't know he is about 60 and kind of stocky.

That is another reason a cruiser would be a good fit. I don't know what his inseam is but it isn't what mine is. Because of back problems he wouldn't want a sport type bike. I know that the Ninja bikes are always popular as starter bikes but that would be too hard on his back.

A cruiser may not be a good fit. What is the condition of his lower back? I have lumbar arthritis and if I ride with my feet forward (cruiser) my back will kill me with in 10 minites. I have sat te saddle of my ST1100 for 5 hours and a BMW K100Lt for 13 hours with no problem. the feet forward riding position loads the lumbar spine. I fully believe the reason most of middle age bike owners with a cruiser that is 5 years old with 3k miles is because of the riding position. If I were to start ridding at middle age I would try a naked stansard in the 600-750cc range. I did not realize this until I rode a buddy's 1975 Kawasaki Z900 and my back pain went away.
Cruisers are what's on the showroom floors, because that is what sells.
Something to think about.

Ralph Sims

Oh I don't know he is about 60 and kind of stocky.

That is another reason a cruiser would be a good fit. I don't know what his inseam is but it isn't what mine is. Because of back problems he wouldn't want a sport type bike. I know that the Ninja bikes are always popular as starter bikes but that would be too hard on his back.

I would suggest something in the cruiser line with a low seat height and low center of gravity. I would also stay at 650 or thereabouts... something light that won't tax his legs or back when he stops and/or gets on or off the bike.

Highly recommend that he take an MSF course before buying and rent one of their bikes. He just may find out he doesn't like it or can't handle it and therefore be out only the cost of the course. I suggested this to a lady at work a few months ago, but she went ahead and bought a "something" 650, took the course on it and dropped the bike 5 times. Then at a red light in downtown Denver she ran over a bus stop bench while trying to turn right. She's selling the bike now.

Personally, I don't like to recommend much about buying a bike for anyone, due simply to the fact that I've been to too many funerals. Granted, it was the lifestyle I was living in my big bad biker days, but it's still there. Both of my sons want nothing to do with motorcycles because of their experiences with me, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Sure it would be nice to go out and ride with them, but I don't want to bury them either. I have neither encouraged nor discouraged them, instead I let them make up their own minds about this kind of thing. One is an Army Ranger (a reckless enough lifestyle) and the other is getting ready to graduate High School and has plans for college. I want them to live long and prosper, and if one day they show up at my door on a bike and want to go riding, it'll be through their own influences, not mine. Again, this is all a personal preference and probably has no bearing on your situation. Just thought I'd sound off a little. Unlike before, riding is now a passion, but just a part of my life that involves many other passions.

After not riding for about 25 years (50 yrs old at the time) , I started back with a Suzuki Marauder, which is an 800 cruiser, and it worked out well. So I think your thoughts of the Shadow 750 (or Kaw 800/900 Vulcan) is one good way to go. It was light enough and low enough that I was comfortable with it. I'm 5"11" with a 31" inseam, and it was pretty comfortable right away on the Marauder. Rode that for three years and a few months ago bought my ST. The adjustment to the ST was harder for me, but now I love it. If he goes cruiser, I'd stick to the 750/800/900 range, as these bikes will handle the highway much better than a smaller cruiser (Honda 600, Suzi C40, etc). Other good ways to go as well. This one worked out well for me. YMMV

Bernard

My recommendation is a used 250 cruiser/standard. The Rebel or Nighthawk are both good. Yamaha and Suszuki have them also. By a used one for about $1500. The ride it for a while. He should be able to sell it for about what he paid for it.

Then after a little experience he can buy the one he really wants. With an endorsement and some experience he can go in and try the demo bikes at dealership. He may also be able to get a demo ride on used bikes at the dealership.

He will probably drop it a few times and the 250s are easy to pickup. If you get one with a few scratches they may even be cheaper. The 250s will go the speed limit just about anyplace. For "ridding into town" the 250 is great and they get 65+ mpg.

Last edited:
I would suggest an 80's vintage standard. Something like a Yamaha XJ 650 or a Honda CB 750. They are very cheap and still plentiful which is a testement to their reliability. There are tons of used parts on the market so repairs would be inexpensive provided he has some mechanical apptitude. They aren't too heavy and their handling and braking characteristics are pretty neutral. And best of all, they are very peppy. He would have no trouble keeping up especially if his buddies are on modern cruisers.

A cruiser may not be a good fit. What is the condition of his lower back? I have lumbar arthritis and if I ride with my feet forward (cruiser) my back will kill me with in 10 minites. I have sat te saddle of my ST1100 for 5 hours and a BMW K100Lt for 13 hours with no problem. the feet forward riding position loads the lumbar spine. I fully believe the reason most of middle age bike owners with a cruiser that is 5 years old with 3k miles is because of the riding position. If I were to start ridding at middle age I would try a naked stansard in the 600-750cc range. I did not realize this until I rode a buddy's 1975 Kawasaki Z900 and my back pain went away.
Cruisers are what's on the showroom floors, because that is what sells.
Something to think about.

Ralph Sims

I guess I don't know if it is upper back or lower. He has had disc problems and had a back operation that fused some vertibre. I'll have to ask if it is upper or lower. When you say naked standard bike in the 600-750 cc range what are you thinking? We are open to ideas.

After not riding for about 25 years (50 yrs old at the time) , I started back with a Suzuki Marauder, which is an 800 cruiser, and it worked out well. So I think your thoughts of the Shadow 750 (or Kaw 800/900 Vulcan) is one good way to go. It was light enough and low enough that I was comfortable with it. I'm 5"11" with a 31" inseam, and it was pretty comfortable right away on the Marauder. Rode that for three years and a few months ago bought my ST. The adjustment to the ST was harder for me, but now I love it. If he goes cruiser, I'd stick to the 750/800/900 range, as these bikes will handle the highway much better than a smaller cruiser (Honda 600, Suzi C40, etc). Other good ways to go as well. This one worked out well for me. YMMV

Bernard

I would say he is about the same size as you. I often read where people complain about seat height. I guess I got lucky there being 6'4".

My only experience with the little 250 cruisers was that they had some at the MSF course I went to. I got on one and got right off. It was kind of like me trying to get on my kid's bike. I have sat on the bigger shadow style bikes at the Motorcycle show and they were not as bad.

I know that odds are you are going to drop it in the first two years. That is when I had my one and only tip over. In fact it was the day I was taking my motorcycle test at the MSF course. I decided to ride that day. I am glad I got there early that day so no one saw me.

If he learns on the 250cc bikes in the MSF class, I don't think he would have a difficult transition at all to the Shadow 600. That's pretty much the route I took. Rode a GZ250 for a few months (after taking the MSF class) and then moved up to the 600. The first time I rode the 600 around the neighborhood, I decided that I could have probably moved directly to that bike after the MSF class. I found that it handles very similarly to the trainer bikes and did not seem overpowering after the 250.

Depends somewhat on how he does in his MSF class. If, by the end of the weekend, he's still struggling a little with clutch and throttle control, herky-jerky shifting, or seems unstable in the limited-space maneuvers, he could consider buying a used 250. Rebels, GZ250s, and Nighthawks can usually be found used for $1800 to $2100 and he can probably sell them 6 months later for the same thing. But if he really gets the hang of it during the class, I don't see why he couldn't ride the Shadow 600.

Maybe he needs a trike?

DSC05929%20(Small).JPG

sbB

Here is a good place to start reading. It's from the pro's at Cycle World. I would recommend you and your Father Outlaw take a look at this, then make your decisions. They have some insightful articles about new and returning riders.

Don't know how to paste a link here, but just copy the below into your address bar and you should get there.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=1201

Find him an 82-83 Silverwing Interstate 500GL. Only goes about 500LBS, has saddlebags, if your lucky you can find one with the trunk. Should be able to find a nice one for under $2000. And after he gets to like riding again and wants to upgrade he will still get the same money for the bike when he sells it.

Back
Top Bottom