Great Radio!!!

I don't use the quartet harness anylonger. I have a Electrical Connection fused relay controlled terminal block that is on a powerline filtered connection. The only thing the quartet harness is used for is providing the signal for the fuse relay. All of my electronic farkles power from this terminal block. I will be adding AUX lights as soon as I fabricate mounts on my End-Mill. Those will be on a separate relay controlled circuit fused off the battery.

Last edited:
I would consider myself to be electronically handicapped...I know just enough to be dangerous!!! (I won't tell how I find the correct breaker for wiring when they arent' marked!!) I thought about the fused block, but I don't know if I'll have enough room under my seat for that along with the cruise, autocom, and 2way radio... i know they're not very big...just seems like a lot of stuff to be putting in one spot....

would that also give radio enough juice so it'll remember the preset stations?

Quartet harness?! We don' need no stinkin' quartet harness!! <he sneared as he jerked back on the reins of his ST-1100> ;^)

so is the sneer because I am showing my stupidity;) ...or because 1100 doesn't have one???:eek::

No quartet harness on the 1100, tho I guess the police model switch model has something similar. I just add fuses on the aux fuse block as needed.

No stupidity observed or implied. ;^)

h2o or AZ, have you gotten your radios yet...i'm starting to get a little impatient...

Autocom will be here on the 9th...then i will be ready to install everything!

here is the antenna I ordered for it http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q0TPTKKtJdp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=232750&I=12044UA20&search=antenna
4"x7/8", I'm figuring it can be mounted anywhere...I hope...

So, is this a "retractable" antenna? I'll need one as well. I've been pretty happy with my "rubber ducky" clipped to the windscreen on ReSTored (easily removable as my radio is tank-bag mounted) but something more permanent seems appropriate for this new setup.

Got a confirmation from BoatersWorld this morning: unit will ship as soon as it's received from the manufacturer.

Added: Okay, I get it now. Read the details at Crutchfield. It's an _amplified_ antenna, the 12V lead powers the amp. Kuul, as the low ground-plane aspect of the motorcycle needs a "boost."

Added: Okay, just ordered the antenna. Need to have STick ready to recieve her new audio system when it arrives. She's a work in progress.

Last edited:
Just got mail back from Cruchfield: the antenna has shipped!!! How's that for service?

Now all I need is the radio (and the new paint, and the other farkles awaiting install on STick!)

ya they were really fast, i had the antenna in 3 or 4 days...

I am going to have to have a farkle fest too, I've got the heated grips, gps mount, antenna, quartet harness, 12v socket...autocom will be here Wed., then just waiting on the radio....

are you painting your tupperware too?

ya they were really fast, i had the antenna in 3 or 4 days...
<snip>

are you painting your tupperware too?

Yeah, she's all stripped down. Spent part of Saturday (attended the car show in downtown Kingman, too) and Sunday (out to B'kfast and some shopping, then house cleaning) prepping the plaSTic. Lots of repairs and spot putty.

I'll get some pictures up soon, prolly start a new thread: STick ReSTored!!

well, I ordered the stereo on 04/21 and they told me that would have it in 2 weeks to send out... I called boatersworld today to check the status...they said they won't have them from the manufacture until MAYBE 05/18:mad:

Has anyone selected a mount for the controller head? I want to mount to the center of the handlebars. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good mount, or do I need to fabricated one?

The controller head dimensions 4"longx2"widex1/2deep

attachment.php

Last edited:
my plan is just to fabricate one and connect a ram ball to it so it can be mounted between the bars as you said...do you have your radio already???

Dan

I talked to the distributer last week and he said they won't be in until June!!! I was hoping to have mine for my June 1st trip. I also asked him what the chances of getting one of their prototypes would be in an e-mail I sent but got no response. Boaters world has no clue about any of this. I have e-mailed them several times with the basic generis response we should have them in 2 weeks!!!! They have told me this for the last month now!!!!! Let me know if any of you hear anything different. Bob

Who ever gets theirs first, please, for the rest of us, post:

1) Connector pinouts
2) Power requirements
switched and/or battery needs
current requirements
speaker wattage, I think it is 4 channels of 45 watts​
3) Installation schematic
4) photos of all connectors
5) What the manual says about IPOD connectivity. All I can find is IPOD/E-Ready. Does this allow for the control head to control the IPOD and list the song info? The radio on my Ridgeline has this feature.

As soon as possible I want to get started on building my wiring harness. I won't be using the Quartet, I have filtered regulated 12V for my sensitive accessories, and I need to build a harness for the radio. I also need to build wiring into the Hondaline speaker box enclosures I ordered from David Silvers.

Last edited:
What kind'a speakers are y'all planning for this install? I'm going to Crutchfield.com to look. Their paper catalog shows several options, but I wanna get the right setup.

Latest info from Boaters World sez, "soon."

I talked to boatersworld yesterday as well, they guessed they would have it at the end of the month...so i cancelled the order with them today and went with this instead (http://www.davesmarineelectronics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5553)
I emailed them and they had 6 in stock...now five! I don't like the controller quite as much but it will still work, adn I'll have it by monday..
I am going to power mine off the quartet harness (black connector) and run it to the autocom. I am hoping to be able to put the autocom in the fairing pocket with it. if all goes well I'll be doing the install on my days off next week.

near as I can tell it is the same radio as the other one, just a different controller here are the stats for it
Detailed Description
JBL MBB-218S Am/Fm Tuner, Cd Changer Control, Sirius Ready

JBL MBB218 comes with a waterproof faceplate as well as a separate box, functioning as the "brain" of the unit, that can be placed anywhere! The JBL MBB218 "black box" stereo is a first in the marine industry! It focuses specifically on eliminating the potential problem of water intrusion in a marine stereo.

This box allows boaters to put it in a water-protected area. In this era of portable media, many boaters are more interested in bringing along their iPod than in using a traditional CD player, so we designed the MBB218 with no CD mechanism. Instead, it's equipped with aux-in to plug in either an MP3 player or a variety of other types of portable media.

JBL MBB218 Sirius AM/FM Receiver Features
Splash-proof face
Sirius-ready
4 x 45 watts
AM/FM tuner
Unique two-line display
Preamp outputs (2 pairs)
CD-Changer Control (no CD mechanism in actual unit)
iPod/E-Ready (aux-in)
Faceplate size: 7 1/8"W x 2 1/8"H x 1 3/8"D

Last edited:
Okay, I'm looking at these for speakers. Having an issue with their order process right now, but the technicals look okay. I'm gonna get the black, without the amp: $99.95. Kinda pricey for a pair of speakers but the housings look pretty good.

Anyone? Bueller?

As soon as possible I want to get started on building my wiring harness. I won't be using the Quartet, I have filtered regulated 12V for my sensitive accessories, and I need to build a harness for the radio. I also need to build wiring into the Hondaline speaker box enclosures I ordered from David Silvers.

just a question as I am not very electrically incline, the quartet harness is only $15, is it worth it to build your own?

The reason I didn't go with that radio is that the head is MUCH bigger. I have my Audiovox HD-900 mounted above my left clutch cyclinder and the JBL will be in the same spot.

The quartet harness is a good investment.

I just spoke to an engineer at JBL. Here is what I have learned:

1) The power signal line isolation is robust on the unit. Running off the quartet harness will be OK from a noise interference perspective. This means I won't be running dedicated lines from my filtered power source. I will use the Black Radio plug on the Quartet.

2) With 4 speakers at max load the unit will pull less than 9 amps. This means that if you are running heated grips off the Quartet harness you have enough capacity available to run the radio. However, if you are running a powerlet, DC plug, or other accessory off of the quartet harness you may have issues. The quartet harness is fused at 15 amps. Most heated grips consume 5 amps. Given that on our bikes we probably won't be running 4 speakers the radio will probably draw less that 8 amps max.

3) Each of the 4 outputs are rated for 45 watts into 4 to 8 ohms. To get the most volume it is recommended to run 4 ohm speakers.

4) You can gang the outputs together to drive a set of 90 watt speakers. JBL has told me this is not possible, it can damage the amplifier and would void the warranty.

5) Many of the retail sights are not correctly stating the IPOD connectivity. It is only a audio input. You do not have track control of the IPOD through the radio controller head, its just a dumb audio in jack.

6) The unit requires both battery and switched power. The switched power is used to wake-up the radio. Power is consummed through the battery input. This means that if you are concerned with your quartet power, you can use the switched power off the quartet as the wake-up signal and run a fused didicated line to the battery for operating power.

7) If you have an intercomm system, the unit has a dedicated line out. Therefore you can run the signal to both the speakers and your intercomm headsets. However, as is usually the case, the volume of the line out is constant, so if you use this output for your intercomm, you will need to use the intercomm volume controls. I plan on using two of the speaker channels for the bike speakers, and two as inputs to my StarCom1. I don't know yet if I will need to add a signal reducer before plugging into my StarCom1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom