HaloCam M1 Motorcycle Dash Camera

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My BMW does not have LED lights, but does have the CANBUS system that can be pretty sensitive to current fluctuations. I have no issues with it at all.

I'm sure you have a switched power line somewhere else you can use if you feel nervous about it. Current draw is really small. You can use one of the small cell phone battery packs for power too, though then you'd have to remember to charge it periodically. So as I said, the current draw isn't much at all.

Chris

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
RE: the M1 and water proofing - from the review noted above:

In addition to the great recording quality, we have to mention the waterproof feature. You will definitely love when rain starts and you won’t be forced to stop the motor and take the cameras down. However, note that the LCD is not waterproof. You can use the waterproof rubber sleeve to cover it during heavy rains.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
@Daboo Chris, the monitor isn't waterproof correct? Based on what it shows on Amazon.

Someone just posted about this one by Bjueskysea that has 3 versions and this one of those 3 does have a WP monitor.
Joe, I would say the Halocam M1 is "waterproof" for as much as you'll ever want or need. The cameras are waterproof. The connections are waterproof. And the only thing of any risk is the DVD module. That DVD module is in a rubber sleeve. It's not just a plastic bag wrapped around it, but it is a thick rubber that is molded to the shape of the DVD module itself. You could say that it technically isn't waterproof...but about the only way you'll ruin it, is to submerge your bike in a river or lake. In which case you have more problems than the dash camera being ruined. ;)

As for the "need" for a waterproof monitor, I think it is a selling point but not a need. You're not going to watch the video while you're riding. The only use would be to make sure the camera is aimed correctly. After that, you probably want it tucked away somewhere. With the Halocam M1, you have the capability to view the video on your smartphone also...but I never do.

Just to be clear for anyone reading this, I have no financial ties to the folks at Halocam. I'm just a happy customer who likes to pass on what I think are good deals. :)

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe, I would say the Halocam M1 is "waterproof" for as much as you'll ever want or need. The cameras are waterproof. The connections are waterproof. And the only thing of any risk is the DVD module. That DVD module is in a rubber sleeve. It's not just a plastic bag wrapped around it, but it is a thick rubber that is molded to the shape of the DVD module itself. You could say that it technically isn't waterproof...but about the only way you'll ruin it, is to submerge your bike in a river or lake. In which case you have more problems than the dash camera being ruined. ;)

As for the "need" for a waterproof monitor, I think it is a selling point but not a need. You're not going to watch the video while you're riding. The only use would be to make sure the camera is aimed correctly. After that, you probably want it tucked away somewhere. With the Halocam M1, you have the capability to view the video on your smartphone also...but I never do.

Just to be clear for anyone reading this, I have no financial ties to the folks at Halocam. I'm just a happy customer who likes to pass on what I think are good deals. :)

Chris
Thank you sir, excellent response. I don't have any dash real estate on the tracer so would likely put under the seat anyway if it will fit.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Don't even need the monitor to aim the camera as you can see the view in real time on your smart phone. I find the mounting hardware to be a little flimsy, but, so far, still holding.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
on my Honda CTX1300. They claim it can blow my tail light assembly out?
Not a chance. The current draw is very low. It will be fine.

I am now looking at this M1. I am hoping that the night time mode is as good as claimed.
Infrared would be better at seeing Bambi and Coyote.

The led headlights let me see running coyotes soon enough to grab my brakes,
I just clipped the last ones tail as he ran across the road .
Had I not slowed down it would have been a mess.....

It would have been awesome, if I had gotten that miss on video....
I like the loop mode.
It is on my wish list....

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Thank you for this thread. It’s been helpful in my decision making and understanding what the memory requirements and water proof and power issues are. Being able to read a license plate within 25’ is a must, and apparently this cam can do it.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, does the M1 have a GPS so it can post the speed also?

With my crash, one comment that was made because the joker (an appraiser) didn't look hard enough at my INNOVV K2 video, that he couldn't tell how fast I was going. And if I would not of had the speed showing up in the video, my speed, might have been a bigger issue.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Being able to read a license plate within 25’ is a must, and apparently this cam can do it.
YouTube obscures plates so I can't tell if it does though the wide angle does see them. If a video could be posted somewhere other than YT that would be very helpful.

The M1 has a GPS unit and the Two Wheel video above shows it and says the speed is shown in the app. It's optional in the sense that it doesn't need to be connected if you feel your actions will convict you but IIRC it is included. It looks like decent kit for the money.

Here's a video from the review above. It's really quite good.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's another dashcam review by the same guy as above for the VSYSTO camera. I'm posting it not to recommend the camera but to give a little more background into cams offered for motorcycles. And this guy does some decent reviews - much better than a lot of YT fare.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
So, does the M1 have a GPS so it can post the speed also?

With my crash, one comment that was made because the joker (an appraiser) didn't look hard enough at my INNOVV K2 video, that he couldn't tell how fast I was going. And if I would not of had the speed showing up in the video, my speed, might have been a bigger issue.
As in the GPS data displays speed on the video or you talking otherwise?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Displays it on the video.

For my accident, with my video displaying the speed, was proof in my case that I WASN'T flying down between the cages, when the bozo hit me. Which is how he described my speed to the CHP Officer. It's in the Accident Report that way.

From the dashcam video, it's kind of hard to judge my speed, although the Officer got it right! In fact, I told him I thought I was doing about 30, when I got hit.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
There's also a link they provide so you can see your route, along with the speed. I've only looked at it once though.

Chris

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
My Garmin Virb Elite action camera stores GPS data for me with the video, but this is not an action camera thread :)

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
My wife unexpectedly gave me a Halocam for my birthday last weekend.
Not much on instructions, but that’s okay.
It’s fairly straightforward installing and operating.
The hardware appears to have changed from what I can tell and it didn’t come with a protective cover for the not so waterproof DVR. I’ll have that stowed in the trunk.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I would contact Halocam customer service on the Amazon page and ask for the protective cover to be sent to you. Amos Zea used to be the person who answered those comments, and he was on top of the problems and took care of them quickly.

I recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro disk like this one. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-MicroSDXC-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B07G3GMRYF?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07G3GMRYF

Chris

Top Bottom