Ham Radio on a 06' ST1300A using Sena SR10 two way radio adapter

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
I don't have any Amateur gear on my ST. But years ago when the Goldwing was my prime machine, I had an ICOM 706 that ran 100 watts to the antenna which was mounted on the trailer tongue. I then fabricated a paddle keyer using two microswitches on the right handlebar . The Icom audio went through the excellent sound system and to my helmet. I operated CW to most counties of the world and they were always surprised when I mentioned that I was motorcycle mobile. I can easily do 35 WPM so communication was no problem. (callsign W7AX)

OP
OP
ColinW1981

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
W7AX, I found that 146.520 comes alive when I announce I'm motorcycle mobile... I don't CW as I cannot make out the melody of code... Could be from the severe hearing loss sustained in places hot, sandy, and they hate Americans...
KF7NLV
I also have a ICOM 706mkiig along with a 703+... nice rigs...

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
I imagine that will attract a QSO alright. I have severe hearing loss as well and now even have a Cochlear implant or I'd be deaf. Sounds like maybe you spent some time in the oil patch in Saudi. I spent mine with BP in the high arctic at Prudhoe Bay. I have been to Fall City many times..pretty place especially when the spring runoff is going :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I then fabricated a paddle keyer using two microswitches on the right handlebar
CW! Now that's old school! W7! Much respect! Not a Ham myself (Dad's bailiwick) when I ask someone these days if they copy code it's either 'Whuut??' or '<sniff> You don't need to know Morse Code anymore'. 'NOT what I asked Einstein'.

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
Listening to Morse code is about the same as learning 26 words in a foreign language. It just takes a little time . I have been a ham since 1950. Far as I know, I'm the oldest active ham in Montana presently. Probably worth about as much as a cup of coffee :)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I never got to the point where I could copy code in my head. but when I was doing it, I would hear the sound, my hand would write the letter before i could think what the letter was. It was real weird. The old subconscious at work. I am sure that had I kept at it I would have gotten there. I still have the squeeze key on my desk..... _._

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When my Dad was leaving CB behind and going for his Novice I attended the Code and Theory classed held at our house. Taught by two Generals it was a lot of fun. I was solid copy up to 30wpm.

When I got up to 5wpm one of the guys gave me a NOS brand-NIB USN

Dad gave me a practice oscillator and I had a blast. I got an old SX-28A and would occasionally find someone sending <30wpm. :rofl1: I got good enough I could tell when somebody was using a bug. Then I discovered the Honda Cub 50. Then it was 73s and onto two wheels.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Talked to Sena Customer Support and explained the incompatibility between the Sena20s and Pryme BT31 Radio adaptor. The issue is with the BT protocols A2DP used for stereo (phones) and HFP used with 2-way radios/gps devices which use mono. Sena R&D says they will look into the matter.

The workarounds are:
- use a Sena SR10 radio adaptor which will need a custom made interface, to replace the Pryme (which has the correct connection cable to the radio)
- use a BT earbud in one ear for th phone, and Pryme BT31 for the radio. Both wireless to the Sena20s
- use just one device at a time with the Sena20s to Pryme BT31. This is what I’m doing presently, but I cannot use both concurrently

Update:

My rig using the Sena20s helmet BT comms rig connects the iPhone (phone, gps, music) and Kenwood 8180 (2-way radio) via BT adaptor using Pryme BT31 works great one device at a time, but not both. They both pair concurrently fine, but the radio mutes the iPhone. Not good. Want to be able to use my radio and pick up calls or gps or music too.

The right tool may in fact be the Sena SR10 BT adapter, but it does not have a cable from it to the db25 DIN connector used on the 8180. Guess I may have to use their open ended cable (aforementioned SC-A0116) and attach the db25 DIN connector myself, after properly wiring it up.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I've never had HAM on a bike before. I often take an HT on bike trips and work the local repeaters from a tent while camping. What is the utility of 2M (or 70cm) while on the road? I can see FRS/GMRS being useful. I have a Motorola CP200 and a Klein Blackbox Bantam with GMRS freq's. I haven't keyed a CB in 50 years and am hoping for 50 more.

Didn't figure there was much utility with HAM while underway, so haven't worked anything up. I don't have enough brain cells to rag chew and keep a motorcycle out of the ditch at the same time in the mountains.

K4LAD

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
I never used the radio until I got on some long stretches of highway such as we have here in the west. Then it was neat that you could work a guy in Japan or Germany while cruising down the road. It always brought up lots of questions from the guys I worked and that was many in the day.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Being a common Tech, the only time I have ever worked DX mobile was on an internet linked 2M repeater from my truck.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I’m in the herding cagers and bikes biz in all kinds of traffic and town and country environments. We use 470-520mhz on private channels with analog 2-way radios. With helmet mounted boom mics and ear speakers and PTT button next to the left thumb; communications are a critical part of this gig and safety. Riding the bike is only one major aspect of what it takes to be an urban cowboy riding two wheeled mounts amongst bandits, texters, unlicensed, clueless, the mourning and other traffic hazards. Then there’s navigation and traffic control and road conditions and traffic, etc. It’s definitely multitasking challenge somewhat like a fighter pilots cockpit with the cacophony of stimulus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinW1981

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
I guess my answer to "what's the utility..." would be - it's a hobby that I enjoy doing. I left the war with this lesson clearly learned...tomorrow I could be dead, so if I want to try something, I'd better try it today..." Or my other answer, since my ST1300 only gets 42.5mpg and only holds one (I ride solo), what's the utility of riding when I could be driving a Prius that gets the same or better mpg and hold's 4? Because it's America, and WE CAN!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ColinW1981 said:
Because it's America, and WE CAN!!!
+1 Riding a bike in the first place has zero utility for me. That doesn't mean it can't and wouldn't be utilized for pedestrian ( :rofl1: ) or utilitarian ( :) ) purposes, but the reason for having one in the first place is at the other end of the spectrum. I imagine there is another rider or two somewhere who feels the same way.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I guess my answer to "what's the utility..." would be - it's a hobby that I enjoy doing.
OK, I get that. My use of HAM has always been for its functionality rather than hobby interest, and that use is waning. Some folks use motorcycles the same way. Now that APRS has been replaced by InReach and emergency comm in remote areas by InReach, ELT and sat phone, I only use an HT in the tent to ask the locals where the best dinner and breakfast spots are. 73 de K4LAD.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I’ve replaced the Pryme BT31with the Sena SR10-10 as the 2-way radio BT adapter pairing with the Sena 20s comm set. This allows both the iPhone and Kenwood radio to be paired concurrently and toggle between the two audio as needed. Had to make my own radio to SR10 db25 pin cable and program the pinout though.

47297F9D-07D7-4C8C-B9E1-E2A69326B573.jpeg

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
My SR10 would work initially and then drop out. I use it with a Midland CB and the CB on my Goldwing. I recently discovered a soft reset button on the top. If that doesn't work, I'll do a hard reset and re-sync. I hope you have better luck than I've had. I'm syncing with a Cardo Pactalk Bold instead of a Sena. I wonder if that makes any difference.

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
I have the Sena SR10 along with a SMH10R headset. The antenna in use now is a Diamond NR770 NMO on a home made bracket that mounts like the MCL brackets. Previously I used a Larson NMO2/70 with the same results. I have used a Yaesu VX7R and a Cheapo UV5R with no difference in performance.
Transmit power is 4 watts and VSWR is under 1.5 on both 2m and 70cm. THe TX audio is as clear and clean as if I were using a speaker mic. Where it all falls apart is RX. Accessing repeaters that I know are DFQ when I'm in my car seem to be half as strong or less when on the bike. It's as if the bike increases the noise floor of the RX which translates to most signals sounding "far away". VHF is far worse than 70cm which is what I would expect. Although the co-linear antenna shouldn't care too much about the lake of a good ground plane it all seems to add up to I need more counterpoise!
I found a Yaesu FTM10R and want to give it a try but the extra work to get it situated has it on the "to do" list. I need to do a set of control experiments with the bike running and with it off to see if its interference or just a plain old crappy antenna configuration.
Anyone with a similar story? or Suggestion?? TNX

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Motorcycles are not good platforms for 2-way radios due to it's small grounding plane and alternator noise and ground loops. I use an antenna that doesn't require a large ground plane and put a low pass filter between the power and radio. This helped a lot. With so many electrical gadgets on my popo bike, perfect single point ground is nearly impossible. My radio and iPhone work unreasonably well on the all Sena comms BT to the 30w Kenwood TK-8180. I also patch my portable 5w TK-3180 or XTS-3000 to the Sena 20s aux input. I tx/rx in the 470-520Mhz UHF band.

The Sena SR10-10 BT radio adapter uses a mono HFP bluetooth protocol while the iPhone uses A2DP stereo bluetooth protocol. The Sena 20s comms set uses both the A2DP and HFP BT protocols and has a pairing order such that the phone's music or GPS audibles are active until the radio goes active.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
"The Sena SR10-10 BT radio adapter uses a mono HFP bluetooth protocol while the iPhone uses A2DP stereo bluetooth protocol. The Sena 20s comms set uses both the A2DP and HFP BT protocols and has a pairing order such that the phone's music or GPS audibles are active until the radio goes active."

That's why I leave the cell phone bluetooth turned off. With just the HFP running the HT audio sounds more "up front". I don't use a noise filter on the power for the two way, I can try that. I'm going to take a shot at running on the radio's battery instead of the bikes power first to see what difference it may make.

AV8R, what antenna do you use and how do you have it mounted?

Top Bottom