I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the engine guard covers

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The nylon zip ties are used on almost all of the police bikes who do rodeos.
When the bikes fall over on the plastic covers, they bend the brackets as you've found.
We run zip ties through the hole and the bracket, and they become tear away jerseys and don't damage the tabs on the $70+ crash bars.
Glad you sorted things out.
Ride safe.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Those are the wrong bolts possibly. The ones you need are longer with no shoulder. These are what my bike has anyways.
The parts diagram does look confusing if that part number is what you got. Maybe they messed up sending the wrong bolts?
Just go down to your local hardware store and buy these regular 6mm buttonhead bolts.
Hate to tell you Kevin, but if the screws that are in your photos are what you have installed in those locations they are the wrong screws. They are supposed to be shoulder screws so that the screw can not tighten against the plastic cover and cause cracking/compression damage around the screw hole- same idea as with the Tupperware screws.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hate to tell you Kevin, but if the screws that are in your photos are what you have installed in those locations they are the wrong screws. They are supposed to be shoulder screws so that the screw can not tighten against the plastic cover and cause cracking/compression damage around the screw hole- same idea as with the Tupperware screws.
Hey Andrew

yeah, after closer inspection, I can see how a shoulder bolt might be the proper bolt. The bolts I showed are what was in my bike for the last 5 years and somehow they are doing the job and will probably stay there. :)

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Those are the wrong bolts possibly. The ones you need are longer with no shoulder. These are what my bike has anyways.
The parts diagram does look confusing if that part number is what you got. Maybe they messed up sending the wrong bolts?
Just go down to your local hardware store and buy these regular 6mm buttonhead bolts.
There are only TWO bolts like that on an ST1300, and if they are 20mm long, they are the black bolts that should be holding the front fender on. They should be a 5mm button head Allen.

SCREW, PAN (6X20)
90138-MCS-G00
Retail Price: $1.82
Your Price: $1.40

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
All I can say is............
OMG really......

One of the simplest things to install..........

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
There are only TWO bolts like that on an ST1300, and if they are 20mm long, they are the black bolts that should be holding the front fender on. They should be a 5mm button head Allen.

SCREW, PAN (6X20)
90138-MCS-G00
Retail Price: $1.82
Your Price: $1.40
Thanks. I'll check to make sure I have the proper fender bolts too.
Previous owner must have had fun playing "where do you want to go today Mr. bolt?" Its not the first incorrect location I've found. :)

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
These are all the fasteners for the bike.
The 2nd from the left is the correct one, the the OP has.
The 3rd from the left has a deeper shoulder and sits above the cylinder head cover.
The fastener that Kevin shows are the wrong ones.
I feel that the Honda engineers could have trimmed it down to 2 different bolts. There doesn't really seem to be any necessary differences between the bolts other than shoulder/non-shoulder. It would certainly simplify buttoning the Tupperware back up!

Ouch I have a KLR that I bought used and had a bunch of zip ties on it which I took off. Are KLRs and zip ties associated together like the famous doohickey, milk carton luggage carrier and their version of anti-lock brakes.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I feel that the Honda engineers could have trimmed it down to 2 different bolts. There doesn't really seem to be any necessary differences between the bolts other than shoulder/non-shoulder. It would certainly simplify buttoning the Tupperware back up!
The Honda bolts for the fairing are usually 5mm or 6mm. The shoulder is crucial and specific to the location.

The bolt isn't there to clamp the fairing to the bike. It is there to locate the fairing in position, hold it there and prevent it from falling off.

The shoulder is exactly the right diameter for the hole, and the shoulder length is either identical to, or fractionally greater than the thickness of the plastic fairing at that point. When you tighten the screw, you should be tightening the shoulder against the frame or captive nut - not against the plastic.

If you use a bolt without the correct size shoulder - eg no shoulder, or a shoulder that is too short - then you will be tightening the pan head against the fairing, and the final tightening force will try to twist the plastic under the pan head. This will quickly cause the plastic to crack around the hole .

6mm screws are used for the heavier loads - eg above the cylinder head - but also it seems, to avoid confusion. The side panel for my 2009 model for example has 2x5mm screws at the front end and 1x6mm screw with a longer shoulder at the rear where the rubber button of the pannier locates. But I think my 2006 model had 3x5mm screws - one with a larger shoulder. Easy to put them in the wrong place.

The 6mm bolt without the shoulder is also used on the fairing - eg the rear mounting points for the grey lower fairing under the footrests. This bolt doesn't need a shoulder as the metal heat shield that is fixed to the inside has a metal sleeve attached, that does the same job.

Ditto for some of the mounting screws for the front fender. The captive nut provides the sleeve that prevents the screw from tightening against the plastic, so no shoulder is provided on those screws.

There is a similar arrangement for the clutch lever pivot bolt. This has a long shoulder, which tightens against the thread in the lower half of the lever. If it didn't have this, tightening the bolt would squeeze the two parts of the bracket together and either clamp the lever tightly, or (more likely) one of them would snap off. In fact the bolt shouldn't be tightened at all. The torque is something like 2Nm. The nut is a lock nut to prevent it from unscrewing.

At the end of the pdf attached to post#1 of this thread, I have photos, descriptions and part numbers of the various screws and clip used on my UK ST1300 A9

Last edited:
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I guess my point was why so many different? If they were to use, say, a 6 mm bolt where a 5 mm was, then there is no confusion as to where the bolt went and the bolt will be plenty strong enough.

For example:
Why does the lower fairing require (2) 5x12 and (3) 6x14 bolts.l? Could they really not make (5) 6x14 bolts work?

Top Bottom