Ignition Relay Bypass Mod - ST1100 ABS

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I'm am planning a long trip next year that will find me in the boonies from time to time, so I figured it was time to address the red wire issue that plagues the ST1100.

It appears there are two approaches; the "red wire bypass" and the "ignition relay bypass". The "red wire bypass" really does nothing other than trade one crimp for another. While this may work for a while (or long enough), it does not fix the issue. That 16 gauge red wire is still carrying all the current to power the bike, and I have read about people still having problems with melting connectors even after doing the red wire bypass. The ignition relay bypass actually fixes the issue by taking some of the load off of the red wire. Since I didn't want to have a nagging doubt about the red wire in the middle of nowhere, I decided to go with the ignition relay bypass method.

Norm Keller's excellent article in the AOW (http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3643.0) explains how the ignition relay bypass mod is implemented, so I'm only going to cover what I did differently.

On the '98 ABS/TCS, there are four fuse box supply wires that are switched through the ignition:

Wire 1: ABS Main (10A, Red/Black)

Wire 2: Fan Motor (10A, Blue/Orange)

Wire 3: Position, Meter Light, Tail, Neutral, Oil, Temp, Tacho, Horn (10A, Red/Black)
Wire 3: Ignition, Starter, Alternator (10A)
Wire 3: Turn Signal, Brake (10A)

Wire 4: Accessory (5A)

I decided to bypass wires 1, 2, and 3 and use wire 4 to energize the relay.

I didn't want to cut the three wires at the fuse box and use butt connectors, so that meant obtaining the right fuse box terminals. I located a source for the single fuse connectors (Eastern Beaver) but they didn't have the bused connector for wire 3. I thought I had found a source for the bused connector (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079FPBDW7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but as you'll see in the picture below, what they sent me was something different than what is pictured for that item on Amazon. But I was able to modify it to make it work.

I didn't use anything that came pre-crimped.

On the right is the bused strip of three connectors that I made from the strip on the left that was shipped to me:

IMG_20191109_132654.jpg

Yes, I could have used three single connectors in place of the bused connector, but then I would have had five wires coming back to the relay and I didn't want that.

Here, the new wires (14 gauge) are installed in the fuse boxes after removing the existing connectors:

IMG_20191109_141706.jpg

I taped and shrink wrapped the removed connectors to insulate them:

IMG_20191113_195726.jpg

Doing it this way makes the mod easily reversible although I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

I put a 90° bend in the ring terminal at the starter relay so that the rubber cover would fit over it (used 12 gauge wire):

IMG_20191108_232422.jpg

IMG_20191113_164606_1.jpg

Crimped the male part of a bullet connector onto the wire going to the accessory circuit:

IMG_20191113_225551.jpg

For the relay ground, I used the bolt behind the handle that is used to lever the bike onto its center stand.

IMG_20191115_152107.jpg

There's not much room between the alternator fuse and the battery to fit a relay, but the 40 amp sealed mini relay and base holder from Cycle Terminal (http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html) fit perfectly and I was able to mount it using the bolt to the right of the alternator fuse:

IMG_20191114_195207.jpg

Here's what it looks like all buttoned up. I shrink wrapped the relay to keep moisture out:

IMG_20191115_151901.jpg

IMG_20191115_151342.jpg

I did not think to measure the voltage drop before I started, but I measured after I was done and it was only 0.06V between the battery and the fuse box.

Jeff

Edit:
For those without the accessory circuit (the 28-amp alternator bikes), here is a way to get switched power for the relay without cutting a fuse box wire.

Take a short piece of wire and crimp a male spade connector on one end and a female bullet connector on the other:

IMG_20191118_172108.jpg

Push the spade connector onto the fuse terminal of the Red/Black wire:

IMG_20191118_172616.jpg

Tape tightly and shrink wrap:

IMG_20191118_175211.jpg

Rough diagram of Mod:

IMG_20191205_112937.jpg

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Looks like good work.
Hope you and your '98 have a great trip next year.

Reactions: jrp
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Insert the end of a small screwdriver between the terminal and the inside of the fusebox making sure it is on the tang, then lever the shaft of the screwdriver against the fusebox to generate enough downward force against the tang to flatten it. You will not be able to move the tang by just pressing down against it with the end of your screwdriver (at least I wasn't).

My ST1100 ignition switch does not have an 'acc' position, just 'on' and 'off'.

Thanks.

That is a nice neat job and all credit to you for managing to extract the original terminals from the fuse holder ! I have one from an old harness I bought over a decade ago. Every now and then I try to get the terminals out, but so far without success !

A question - if you have your relay triggered by the accessory lead, does that mean those other 3 wires are now powered when the ignition switch is turned to 'Acc' ? Its been a long time since I parted with my last ST1100, and cannot remember how the leads in the shroud are configured.

But the write-up and the photos are excellent. Thank you for posting.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Well done and nice pictures.

Since you are doing this to prepare for a long trip are you also looking at a fuel pump failure not stranding you?

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Well done and nice pictures.

Since you are doing this to prepare for a long trip are you also looking at a fuel pump failure not stranding you?
Thanks. Yes, I have the Facet Posi-Flo pump and am going to be working on that in the near future.

Jeff

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
One is less likely to have a problem with the ignition switch than the red wire I imagine, but I have read a few accounts of it happening as these ST1100s age. While working on the ignition bypass relay, I realized that should there ever be a problem with the ignition switch while on a trip, it would be easy to install a toggle switch between the relay and the battery to bypass the ignition switch entirely. So I took a toggle switch and put a ring terminal on one wire and a female bullet connector on the other wire.

Now if there is a problem with the ignition switch, I just have to remove the battery, unplug the bullet connector from the accessory circuit and plug it into the connector on the toggle switch. Then connect the ring terminal to the battery positive and I'm on my way.

Edit: When I tested it, everything powered up except for the headlights. I went back and looked at the wiring diagram and discovered that the low and high beam relays are energized by the ignition wire (i.e. the same Red/Black wire as Wires 1 & 3 in my original post). I added a second connector to the harness (see below).

IMG_20191117_143207.jpg

Edit:
Final version. Added second connector to power the headlight relays. This plugs into the Red/Black wire. Also added 3-amp inline fuse.

IMG_20191124_212847.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good idea to carry that with you. That way, you will never need to use it.

But if you connect it that way, is there any chance of blowing the acc. fuse ? Try it to find out.

I'm considering this mod for my 97. One thing I'm not sure about is the size of the relay required? On the st-rider link above they used a 70 amp rated relay. Here a 40 amp was used. My gut feeling is 40 amps should be enough. But has anyone measured the current required?

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I'm considering this mod for my 97. One thing I'm not sure about is the size of the relay required? On the st-rider link above they used a 70 amp rated relay. Here a 40 amp was used. My gut feeling is 40 amps should be enough. But has anyone measured the current required?
I have not measured the current, but my thinking is that the fuse on the starter relay is 30 amps, so my 40 amp relay should be more than enough given that I'm not drawing as much current as was originally through the starter relay (I left both headlight circuits and the clock circuit on the red wire). I used a 30 amp fuse in front of the 40 amp relay.

Jeff

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Good idea to carry that with you. That way, you will never need to use it.

True!

But if you connect it that way, is there any chance of blowing the acc. fuse ? Try it to find out.
A 12vdc coil-based relay typically needs only a few hundred milliamps, so no chance of blowing the fuse. (EDIT: The acc circuit is not used here, see my post below)

But I did hook it up and test it. Everything powered up except for the headlights. I went back and looked at the wiring diagram and discovered that the low and high beam relays are energized by the ignition wire (i.e. the same Red/Black wire as Wires 1 & 3 in my original post). Not a big deal unless you needed to ride at night. There is an easy fix for the headlight that I may do.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
True!

A 12vdc coil-based relay typically needs only a few hundred milliamps, so no chance of blowing the fuse.

But I did hook it up and try it. Everything powered up except for the headlights. I went back and looked at the wiring diagram and discovered that the low and high beam relays are energized by the ignition wire (i.e. the same Red/Black wire as Wires 1 & 3 in my original post). Not a big deal unless you needed to ride at night. There is an easy fix for the headlight that I may do.

Jeff
I should have said that there was no chance of blowing the acc fuse because you are not using the acc circuit to power the relay if you are inserting the toggle switch. Which gets me to thinking that I should probably put a fuse in the toggle switch wire going to the battery.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry JRP, I didn't know you meant using that switch AFTER you installed the high current relay. I don't think you will have a problem with the ignition switch after you install the high current relay, but who knows ? Might as well carry that switch, just in case. As far as the headlights not working when employing the switch, carry a high lumen LED flashlight and some duck tape. :cool: .

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
The bike only has a 40 amp alternator, so if you are pulling more than that you will eventually have a different problem.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
For those without the accessory circuit (the 28-amp alternator bikes), here is a way to get switched power for the relay without cutting a fuse box wire.

Take a short piece of wire and crimp a male spade connector on one end and a female bullet connector on the other:

IMG_20191118_172108.jpg

Push the spade connector onto the fuse terminal of the Red/Black wire:

IMG_20191118_172616.jpg

Tape tightly and shrink wrap:

IMG_20191118_175211.jpg

Top Bottom