I'm not so sure it's the battery ...

a few months back, my local dealer told me that there had been a bad batch of batteries, that they were having some problems with

I thought I was having a battery problem but

it turned out to be a farkle power problem, the tiny LED power light on a cigarette lighter style power plug, in my fairing pocket out of sight, which would remain ON even with the farkle OFF, would after a couple days run my battery down...... since then I've installed a master farkle switch that cuts all farkles OFF at the battery....no more power drain.

I've run my Yuasa down dead several times, it's a tough battery,

good luck running that down.

Interesting inputs from all ... I've enjoyed the reading ... THANK YOU very much! Now. please allow me to ask a question: Once I receive and chronicle the installation of an Odyssey PC545 battery with the Huntington Beach Honda alternate battery mount, should I record that effort here within this thread, or start a new thread which is titled "Odyssey PC545 Battery Installation"? At this point, I'm thinking others would more easily locate and benefit from a separate thread. What say you? And of course, I could include a hyperlink below to the new thread.

That may be nonsense, but it was told to me the way that I recounted. You might want to give Honda Directline a call to confirm or deny this. I did not buy a battery from HDline because they no longer offered one for sale. Oddly, one appears on their website. When selected, an error message appears.

Marshal

I just had one shipped UPS a couple of weeks ago to CT from HDL with no issues and it was on sale as well with free shipping.

I know I was shocked at how small a battery, Honda put in these bikes. I had to Replace the one on my new left over 07. It would not hold a charge .I think because the dealer rushed the prep on the bike and they quick charged it and ruined it. Glad it was replaced under warranty because the price on the box was $169.00, WOW!:slv13: Robert-new 07 ST

I will be buying a bat,, I have checked every thing else. I dont have any thing that would draw any thing from the bat,,,,The bike ran fine up until i installed the new horn, Then within three wks the bike will not start unless i jump the bike. both cars are down i need this bike to run and i am getting pissed with it. Several times this year the ST has let me down...:(

Once I receive and chronicle the installation of an Odyssey PC545 battery with the Huntington Beach Honda alternate battery mount, should I record that effort here within this thread, or start a new thread which is titled "Odyssey PC545 Battery Installation"? At this point, I'm thinking others would more easily locate and benefit from a separate thread. What say you? And of course, I could include a hyperlink below to the new thread.

The Odyssey has been installed, and is documented at the thread linked below.
Warning to the faint of heart - cutting plastic is involved to the point where the original configuration cannot be reacquired.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=838843#post838843

That is one area of which I am certain because everything I've added is routed through a keyed connection. Nothing runs without the key in the "run" position ... everything except the cigarette-lighter style plug in the right glovebox, and it is activated only when the key is in the "run" or "accessory" position.
My name is Ken, and I've come to realize I'm a bloomin' idiot! :doh1:

It dawned on me late last night that there is an electrical component drawing power all the time. In addition to the dashboard clock, the stereo I installed has an "always live" connection in order for it to keep preset stations.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=568

Granted, it can't be much of a draw, but it does pull a bit of current. I also don't think this is the cause of mt battery going bad. One person mentioned that the hazard lights pull a lot of amperage even while the bike is idling. My bike gave me its first warning sign in exactly that scenario a couple weeks earlier. A fellow rider had low-sided in the twisties of WV, and when I pulled over to help, I activated my flashers and left the bike idling. Once I realized next to no traffic was on this road, I turned the bike off. The battery drain had already occurred and sure enough, when I went to start the bike, it hesitated a second before catching, and zeroed out the tripometer display. Thankfully, it kept restarting without issue the rest of that weekend.

Back
Top Bottom