In need of another TPMS system

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hello all,
Well I recently found out that Doran is no longer offering sensors for their 360M system,it is forcing me to look for a new system.
And I can't tell if Orange TPMS is even still in business? getting mixed messages about the sensors working properly anyway etc..
I looked on Amazon and found a few that are wireless and some that are wired to the bike.
I see some that I think are Chinese knock offs of major brands.
EX. RUPSE, looks exactly like the Hawks Head unit sold in Canada?
Some only have 30-40 reviews and none of them got 5 stars over-all.
I looked at the FOBOS and I have an older phone that won't support the app.

So any ideas or experiences shared is appreciated.

I bought the Doran system based of input from this site and was happy with it but can no longer get sensors. ( I did cut into the Doran sensor and found the battery is a common button battery but not accessible as the sensor is sealed.) And the battery was kinda epoxied in to the contacts anyway.

Bike
VStrom 650
ST-T, don't know if it helps but Michelin have just brought out a new Motorcycle system, it's wireless and will be about £80.00. Haven't got one myself so can't vouch for it. It's online if you want to check it out.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been really happy with my Hawkshead systems which I have on all three ST1100s. They have worked so well that I bought one for my wife's dually driveavble RV. What I like is the waterproof, small, receiver and the small sensors that use common button batteries. And you can buy the 'bits and pieces' if you should lose or wreck some part of it. Dohboy bought the Chinese version of it and it looks just like the ones that I have - except the manual was in Chinese! :biggrin: You might check with him and see how it is working.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I've been really happy with my Hawkshead systems which I have on all three ST1100s. They have worked so well that I bought one for my wife's dually driveavble RV. What I like is the waterproof, small, receiver and the small sensors that use common button batteries. And you can buy the 'bits and pieces' if you should lose or wreck some part of it. Dohboy bought the Chinese version of it and it looks just like the ones that I have - except the manual was in Chinese! :biggrin: You might check with him and see how it is working.
I will agree with UP as I have one as well from the group buy. They sent a couple of extra batteries for the sensors too but I just recently ran out. Looked everywhere I could locally for the batteries and couldn't find them. Ended up buying them through Amazon. Just food for thought!

Skip

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

I have a Tiregard system on my ST that works well,
Hi and thank you. I went ahead and ordered this system with 2 of the T-valves. I like the fact that it is wireless and only requires 1 AAA battery that lasts about 6 months for the display. Also the sensor batteries are common button type.
Plus it is on sale right now.
I will keep you all posted on the system as I get use out of it.

:)

I've also installed the "T" valves on the wheels to simplify adjusting pressures.
Pat thanks for this info, I was able to order 2 of these from Tiregard along with my new TPMS system all at once.

:biggrin:

I've been really happy with my Hawkshead systems which I have on all three ST1100s.
Phil-
thanks for the feedback- I am going to try the Tiregard and see how that works, I like the fact that it is wireless.

Greg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Double check on the Tireguard - the last time I looked at them the brain was not waterproof which was a big drawback for me. They may have changed. The Hawkshead is also 'wireless' and the head stays charged so long I forget to check it sometimes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use a TireGard system for my motorcycles and just switch the sensors back and forth between bikes. I made a simple mount out of scrap aluminum for each bike so the keyfob in it's protective cover slips over this tab and mounts on the bar in plain view. If it rains more than a mist I slip in an inner pocket. IMG_2828.JPGIMG_2829.JPG

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know one rider who put it in his jacket pocket and forgot to close the flap. It roached the controller when it got wet.
When looked at all the systems (Tireguard, Hawkhead, Doran, Orange, etc.) that was a big issue for me and the reason I dropped it from the list.
Because I knew one day I would be riding and in a situation where I forgot to remove it. ;)
Unless they have changed their design, it is not waterproof.
I can vouch that the Hawkshead is waterproof as mine have been through numerous, lengthy downpours.
Here's what appears to be the Hawkshead under a different name on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Lightning-proof-Motorcycle-Monitoring-Two-wheeled/dp/B01ALC6QCC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1549830513&sr=8-10&keywords=motorcycle+tpms

Note - I just ordered one for a spare from Amazon ( great price and I like to have spares :biggrin:) and I will do a side by side comparison when I get it. I Velcro the 'head' between my handlebars on the ST1100 cover. That way I can easily remove it when I am leaving the bike for a while. BTW, the 'charging' port for the head is the standard small USB plug that most cell phone chargers used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Unless they have changed their design, it is not waterproof.
Thanks UP, I have sent an e-mail to inquire about this.
I think the one you are referring to is the one that is like a key ring fob?
This is the one I ordered (B13-318 TPMS) which has the handle bar mount included.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks UP, I have sent an e-mail to inquire about this.
I think the one you are referring to is the one that is like a key ring fob?
This is the one I ordered (B13-318 TPMS) which has the handle bar mount included.
I believe it was the handlebar mount but I could be wrong - I wouldn't have wanted the keyfob option.
I just thought making a 'motorcycle' TPMS monitor that is not waterproof made no sense to me!
Quote from Amazon Review in 2015 on the FOB version -

Verified Purchase
A waste of $150. Did love it for a few months until I took an extended 2 wheel trip. As nature provides, rain was on the travel menu and after the first day riding with the clouds releasing their gift, the FOB was no longer functioning. The customer service rep stated "the FOB's were not a replaceable item. Sensors yes. FOB's NO. I would have to purchase a complete new system but that would leave me with a spare set of sensors". Gee, Thanks. A waste of $150.
I WILL FIND A DIFFERENT SYSTEM that is properly suited for use on a motorcycle. After all, this is an outside activity.

From their website on the handlebar mounted one -

'and a silicone protective skin for the monitor.'

Which leads me to believe they are not waterproof as they offer the same thing for their key fob one. All their literature says in some places is 'water resistant' not 'water proof'.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Here is a link to the "new" HawksHead. Motion acivated so it doesn't have to be turned off and on. I'm going to get one before the season starts. It also says you can move it from bike to bike. I don't know how that would work unless it lets you program in 4 sensors. I don't think reprogramming it and switching the sensors from bike to bike would be popular.

https://www.tpms.ca/motorcycle-cruiser-2.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8ha_UB38dDcn791GKpMUE29GRiYJ_zzO5zv9KF5F6DIw9Gzoday6j0aAk7oEALw_wcB

Top Bottom