In need of another TPMS system

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I reckon if they were 'waterproof' they would say that.
There is a major difference between 'water resistant' and 'water proof'.
Assurances are great, but based on the Amazon review, if the brain fries in the rain, it's your nickel. :biggrin:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I reckon if they were 'waterproof' they would say that.
There is a major difference between 'water resistant' and 'water proof'.
Assurances are great, but based on the Amazon review, if the brain fries in the rain, it's your nickel. :biggrin:
Well I reckon one review is hardly sufficient sample. There’s a jillion posts in this forum for using phones and GPS units that aren’t waterproof. We sandwich bag them, Otter box them, remove them, goop em up with RTV, you get the drift.

FWIW the head unit on my TireGard has been wet many times without issue. If it really starts coming down I slip it in an inside pocket where it will still alert me to a low tire.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well I reckon one review is hardly sufficient sample. There’s a jillion posts in this forum for using phones and GPS units that aren’t waterproof. We sandwich bag them, Otter box them, remove them, goop em up with RTV, you get the drift.
FWIW the head unit on my TireGard has been wet many times without issue. If it really starts coming down I slip it in an inside pocket where it will still alert me to a low tire.
Dave - I understand that, but if it ain't waterproof it ain't waterproof. That was the question that was asked.
If it was waterproof, you wouldn't feel the need to slip it into a pocket. :biggrin:
The essence of the Amazon review to me was the company policy - if the head dies from water exposure, it appears you are out of luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
More info from the vendor:
I would think that the unit would be fine under any conditions with the cover. I think it would be fine in light rain, for limited periods of time without the cover.

I'm thinking since it is not hardwired it should be easy enough to get it out of the rain.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Dave - I understand that, but if it ain't waterproof it ain't waterproof. That was the question that was asked.
If it was waterproof, you wouldn't feel the need to slip it into a pocket. :biggrin:
The essence of the Amazon review to me was the company policy - if the head dies from water exposure, it appears you are out of luck.
yep, the only way to know what you're up against for water intrusion is if the company specifies it to meet any of the IP-xx specs. I'm not sure how rigorous the testing is for those specs, or if they can just do an in house test and claim it, but a red flag for me is if they don't mention it at all.

And it seems like adding insult to injury if they won't even let you pay to replace the water damaged unit without buying a complete second system.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
More info from the vendor:
I would think that the unit would be fine under any conditions with the cover. I think it would be fine in light rain, for limited periods of time without the cover. I'm thinking since it is not hardwired it should be easy enough to get it out of the rain.
The question is - if it roaches from water intrusion during the warranty period, will they replace or not?
That would be the big question for me. What happened to my friend is he put it in his pocket and water got into his pocket
as water is known to do sometimes. It doesn't matter til it matters. ;)
I'd hate to put out the money and get caught in a downpour in a traffic situation where I couldn't move it or forgot to move it and it croak.
With the price of the Rupse(Hawkshead) at $75 on eBay and it is waterproof seems to be a hard deal to beat.
But it ain't my money at any rate and you have to do what suits you. :biggrin:

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
That looks just like the GENSSI unit I put on my NH750ST last year. It's rechargeable, but I keep the charge on via a 2-USB/1-lighter-socket power port that also keeps my phone on charge and powers the traffic-enables Garmin car-type GPS.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I just Velcro mine to the ST1100 handlebar cover so I would supposed you could Velcro it to somewhere on the ST1300.
Not much room left on the handlebars & between them , what with the J&M unit , HD AM / FM unit , cup holder , altimeter , elect. C.C. & brackets for all that , now a bracket for the TPMS off the AM / FM bracket .
The Chinavasion GPS is on top the Dash , with it's own special bracket ....... In this yearly 5 months of miserable frozen North , you have a lot of time to add farkles .......

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well looks like RRRTOOLSOLUTIONS.com has indeed quit carrying the Orange Electronics system. Don’t even know if I’m going to be able to get replacement sensors now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You’re just not cool in school if you don’t use Fobo Bike TPMS
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike
:wht13:

AV approved :thumb:
I just don't like having to open an app to see my pressures... I want to see them real time, all the time, whenever I want, thus the reason I like a dedicated system with its own display that's mounted on my dash. In my case, I chose the HawksHead system.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just got in the Rupse a week or so ago , making yet another special bracket to hold it . But can't ride yet in the frozen North here till April.
This mount screws to the back of the HawksHead/Rupse display. It can then be attached to one of many style bases. I have mine mounted on my dash... makes it easy to pop off for charging.

1549979568310.png

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Understood Paul

In my case, the iPhone is on a Ram mount so a dedicated tire pressure display would be duplication and waste of up front real estate. For my use, which is just 4-8 hour hops within 100 miles of home (and well within AAA coverage), checking the air pressure before and after I ride is usually sufficient.

Bike
2005 st1300
I just don't like having to open an app to see my pressures... I want to see them real time, all the time, whenever I want, thus the reason I like a dedicated system with its own display that's mounted on my dash. In my case, I chose the HawksHead system.
I would agree. If you are monitoring tire pressure, it should be visible always. I noticed on the FOBO site that you can overlay your pressure display on top of your phone screen so it is always visible. I like this as I always have my phone plugged in and visible when riding. I use it for my GPS and music. Leaning toward a FOBO myself. I realize everyone is different, I like to keep my dash uncluttered and would integrate everything to my phone that I could

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My only quibble with the Hawkshead unit is having to wake up the sensors to get a reading. I like to check the air pressure from time to time when I'm not about to ride and the FOBO is great for that. If the HH had a button on the display that woke up the sensors and gave me pressures that would be my goto.

I'm only concerned with the 'cold' air pressures before I start out. I realize this doesn't comply with the 1000% ATGATT/SA 1000% of the time but I've ridden for many years without a TPMS and have been ok. So I'm willing to forego some functionality for convenience.

I like the idea of the HH display and as previously stated would give it a try if I didn't have to move the bike to get a reading.

RaYzerman said:
...so when you prepare to ride next day, either move the bike (best) or bump the tires to wake them up. If you left the display on, reading will display last reading before sleep mode, but a few minutes later will update after you wake them up.
Ok can this happen with just bumping the tires? Bump the tires clean the windshield and mirrors and you have the current tire pressures? I might be able to live with that.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I like the idea of the HH display and as previously stated would give it a try if I didn't have to move the bike to get a reading.
I always (I think) have to move the bike to get a reading. Even then it's very inconsistent. Sometimes down the driveway, other times down the road.
Having said that, I do like the Hawks Head.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I said, I've had pop right up while the bike is warming up shortly after I turn the unit on. But it does vary and as Dean said it's inconsistent when it first decides to 'appear' but it's usually pretty quick once you are underway.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
This mount screws to the back of the HawksHead/Rupse display. It can then be attached to one of many style bases. I have mine mounted on my dash... makes it easy to pop off for charging.

1549979568310.png
The Rupse also has those ( 4 ) " hook-in and slide a few millimeters " attachment alternative that will be better in my particular situation where I have run out of space to actually rotate it for the camera -mount type attachment you pictured .

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just got the 'Rupse' unit (from eBay - cheaper than Amazon) in and one difference between it and the Hawkshead is the Hawkshead sticker on what they ship to you. The boxes are identical but the Rupse sensors are larger than the Hawkshead Sensors. And the cap 'tools' are slightly different. The heads appear to be the same.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Have been using three Hawkshead systems on the ST's and the wing for a few of years. Only failure so far was a monitor which acted up last month - I assume due to water ingress,but when I opened it up it looked dry. As I had bought a new monitor last May, to replace one that I assume had fallen off, I asked Hawkshead for a warranty replacement and sent it back this week. Only one year warranty on these units, but I assume minimal issues so far with them? And they are Canadian as well!
Andy

Top Bottom