Installed New Honda 12V Power Outlet

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Just got back in from the dealer having the Honda 12V power outlet installed in the right fairing pocket. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks cool! Almost as cool as my my new TC rack!

Question: How in the hell do you keep the fairing pocket closed when you have something plugged into it? Like a GPS power cord for example? The mechanic suggested cutting a small channel out of the pocket lid, but I don't really want to do that!

finewest said:
Just got back in from the dealer having the Honda 12V power outlet installed in the right fairing pocket. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks cool! Almost as cool as my my new TC rack!

Question: How in the hell do you keep the fairing pocket closed when you have something plugged into it? Like a GPS power cord for example? The mechanic suggested cutting a small channel out of the pocket lid, but I don't really want to do that!

From what I read, that is exactly what many have done. Be interesting to see if there is an alternative method. As for the GPS, it is much easier to wire it directly to the battery. I know Garmin has a MC kit that allows this. Run the wire under the tank. That is what we did with mine anyway. :)

I plugged my radar detector into the 12-volt plug in the fairing pocket, but struggled with keeping the door closed because of the coiled cord. Ultimately, I've gone the "hard-wire" route. Not sure what, if anything I'll use the 12-volt plug for now...but it's always nice to have as an option.

finewest said:
Powerlets look cooler. Nyeah!

The mechanic suggested cutting a small channel out of the pocket lid, but I don't really want to do that!
A replacement lid for the pocket (64236-MCS-G00) is $14, so don't feel so bad about cutting into it. Besides, what good's a power socket if you can't use it?

--Mark

Blrfl said:
Powerlets look cooler. Nyeah!

A replacement lid for the pocket (64236-MCS-G00) is $14, so don't feel so bad about cutting into it. Besides, what good's a power socket if you can't use it?

--Mark
Great tips! Thanks guys. $14!? Hell! I'll bladesaw the hell out of it now! Thanks! :D

I just let the wires 'hang out'... I have about 6 wires coming out of my RH pocket. I keep it shut with a rubber band. If you want to know how I did it, just ask... :D
:cool:

Cutting a groove is exactly what I did on my Wing. Another option (and I haven't looked closely on the ST but I think you can do the same) is to drill a hole from the side, from the fork side that is. Bring the cable in to the pocket from the side and then caulk over the hole.

Visit your local Home Depot / Ace Hardware / Radio Shack / auto supply place or whatever. In the misc. hardware bits section you'll find assorted rubber grommets and rubber plugs. You can cut a hole in the door and then finish it off with a rubber grommet so it looks a bit more professsional.

I'll just go for the simple cut a "groove" channel in the side of the pocket door, seeing how they only 14 bucks to replace. I plan on using the 12V power outlet for my Navman Pin 100 Pocket PC/GPS, and a small 12V air compressor. It could also, of course, recharge my cell phone en-route, and even re-charge my laptop if I decide to carry it with me. Oh man! You can do all kind of things with this! Think of it! A 12V coffee maker! Electric razor! Camera battery charger! Endless possibilities! Why, I bet you could just sell the house and live off your bike! Too cool! Do you guys have any other ideas what you can use your bike's 12V power outlet for? Start a thread!

Last edited:
finewest said:
>snip< Oh man! You can do all kind of things with this! Think of it! A 12V coffee maker! Electric razor! Camera battery charger! Endless possibilities! Why, I bet you could just sell the house and live off your bike! Too cool! Do you guys have any other ideas what you can use your bike's 12V power outlet for? Start a thread!

Nah, to live off a bike like that with every appliance in the world hooked up to you it you'd need a GOLDWING! :D

What a pisser! :mad: It doesn't work! I just tried it now for the first time and nothing! Key off, nothing! Key on, nothing! Tried different devices, nothing! Man oh man! Talk about de-flated! I called the shop and am returning tomorrow morning. Better not charge me! (excuse the pun.) :(

And! It's hard to stick my fat hand in there to plug anything in. Geez! What a hassle!

Last edited:
dond said:
Prolly blew that 2A fuse.

Kinda worthless :-|

That's what I was thinking too! I plugged in the small 12V air compressor and turned on the key and I thought I heard a POP! So... What's a alternative to that fuse?

Last edited:
finewest said:
That's what I was thinking too! So... What's a alternative to that fuse?

Don't know if you really want to change it higher... then you run the risk of blowing something else :eek:

I run my LEO detector off of it... that's it. Anything else runs off of my Powerlet :cool:

And that dealer left your mayo stain too... :D

So let's see if my limited excuse for a mechanical brain can comprehend this... There is a limit on certain devices that this plug can handle!!? WTH! Why would Honda offer such a thing? Oh man! I'm bummed!!!

finewest said:
There is a limit on certain devices that this plug can handle!!? WTH! Why would Honda offer such a thing?

Don't blame Honda. Somewhere along the line someone decided it that since all cars had cigarette lighters, building a plug to fit the socket would be a good idea. The problem is that there's no standard design for them, and they were never really intended as an accessory jack. The plugs don't positively lock into the sockets and they can't handle much current. But they've become a de facto standard, and we're kind of stuck with them.

On my bike, it's BMW/Powerlet connectors or nothing. If I need to plug something in, I either build a custom cable or adapt it to a CLA.

--Mark

The same thing happens on the Wing; the plug in the pocket is NOT designed to handle an air compressor. Here is what I did on my wing when I had it, and now on the ST:

On the battery I have a cable coming off that can be used for a trickle charger. I bought a Wal-Mart air compressor, took off the plastic case to make t he compressor 'smaller'. I went to Radio Shack and bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...sory+plug&kw=accessory+plug&parentPage=search

This is the same type plug used for my trickle charger. I connected this cord to my air compressor (with an inline fuse) and now I can connect my air compressor directly to the battery.

hojo in sc said:
The same thing happens on the Wing; the plug in the pocket is NOT designed to handle an air compressor. Here is what I did on my wing when I had it, and now on the ST:

On the battery I have a cable coming off that can be used for a trickle charger. I bought a Wal-Mart air compressor, took off the plastic case to make t he compressor 'smaller'. I went to Radio Shack and bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...sory+plug&kw=accessory+plug&parentPage=search

This is the same type plug used for my trickle charger. I connected this cord to my air compressor (with an inline fuse) and now I can connect my air compressor directly to the battery.

I see! Geez! What a hassle. This is getting way too much money pit. I hope not. OK, here's a question. It should handle my cell phone DC charger, and Pocket PC DC power? Also, I have one of those 12V clip-on-the-battery-terminals with a cig power outlet plug on the end (it doesn't have a inline fuse). Would that be OK for my air compressor if I use that directly to the battery clip on power outlet? The main reason I wanted to get the Honda power outlet was to run the air compressor (got it from Walmart. The kind that plugs into a car cig lighter). I have a BMW style Powerlet on my Connie and bought a cig-lighter adapter for it and it works just fine.

I found a pic of one. It kinda looks like this, but not as nice. Same design though...

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
In my case, I hardwired Garmin and radar detector to my accessory fuse block and then when I had the tupper ware down for other reasons, added a powerlet outlet just below the left fairing pocket and a cigarette outlet in the right. I can use the latter two for items that I occassionally use and don't need always connected (i Pod, battery charger for my bluetooth headset, etc.)

John

JM Anthony said:
In my case, I hardwired Garmin and radar detector to my accessory fuse block and then when I had the tupper ware down for other reasons, added a powerlet outlet just below the left fairing pocket and a cigarette outlet in the right. I can use the latter two for items that I occassionally use and don't need always connected (i Pod, battery charger for my bluetooth headset, etc.)

John

That is pretty much what I have decided to do. I like the Powerlet plug. I have one on the Connie I'm trying to sell and it works great! I bought a Powerlet cig plug adapter for it; its small and portable and just plugs right into the Powerlet plug and fires up my air compressor with no sweat!

Here's what I decided to do. I ordered the left fairing Powerlet kit for the ST1300. $40 buck-a-roos! Easy installation, but will have the my mechanic Kendal do it. Shouldn't take more than a half an hour. I will leave the Honda 12v power plug in the right fairing pocket after having the fused replaced. I think that is what happened. I plugged in the air compressor and turned on its switch and then turned on the bike's ignition key, then I heard a POP and no power to the air compressor. I think I blew the low powered fuse (2A). The Powerlet has a higher powered fuse, so it should be able to handle the air compressor with no sweat like it does on my Connie. This solution should give me best-of-both-worlds. Then I'll be happy! What a downer it was though when I first tried it. I had been waiting three weeks to get this installed and this had to happen. Oh well. Maybe I can talk the wife into making dinner and sex again to cheer me up! :D

Back
Top Bottom