Itchy Boots

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, my wife surely has been bit by the Noraly bug... said she wants to rewatch all her videos when we're done. We're on S2E27. She's got our daughter watching too. I really like them, but not sure I could watch them all again.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hard to believe the Brits invented the language.
Technically you could argue they didn't. The language is cobbled together from ancient Greek, Sanskrit, Latin, varying vintages of French and German and possibly Flemish and Dutch, ancient Norse, Gaelic, Yiddish, Native American (U.S. and Canadian variants of the language) and heaven-knows-what-else.

Back in the 1980s Robert MacNeill wrote a book called The Story of English. There was a related series on PBS. It was written in English, presented in English, and featured interviews of various speakers of English. But some accents were so heavy, they had to add subtitles- in English, of course.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It was written in English, presented in English, and featured interviews of various speakers of English. But some accents were so heavy, they had to add subtitles- in English, of course.
This applies (or should) to a lot of Brit dramas especially those involving Manchester and other areas. Even when listening with good headphones some stuff is tough to decipher. Long Live RP!

Ok I just finished that video and it was really good. And they each had their own mic! I had no trouble understanding Andy so all the Brit TV shows paid off. Dude does talk fast though. Was it kiltman who turn first brought us Noraly? Many thanks. The videos are a lot of fun.

Last edited:
STOC #
But some accents were so heavy, they had to add subtitles- in English, of course.
don't you love it? Two countries separated by a common language:rolleyes: I was over in Ireland last year and it took me a few days to get use to the accent. Then it was trying to understand what they meant by the word... Lorry, boot, chuffed and the one I liked... "bobs your uncle" ... instead of "there he is" it was "theres your man".. things like that messed me up.. Oh and forget about it if I went into the country.. LIke here in the states local regional dialects and meanings were a "treat"...
m

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Enjoyed Noraly's latest installment.
A little bit of the Netherlands.
Glad to see Arai, Revit, and Royal Enfield stepping up with kit for her.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I really like that video. Very cool to cruise around and see some of the Netherlands. She doesn't really hawk the Royal Enfield like a lot of YouTubers do to get click and vendor swag. No outrageous loud characterizations etc. I think RE and other vendors help her out partly because she's an unassuming believable ambassador.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ibike2havefun said:
Not to mention she is getting close to having half a million followers / channel subscribers.
That is a heck of an accomplishment in itself. She's pretty adept at doing selfie video while riding and I really dig her drone footage especially in the follow me mode.

Not that I'm going to go continent hopping but DJI has a Mavic Air 2 for $800 that is really slick. It's more than double the max weight of drones that don't need to be registered - not that I have a fly free or die complex.

The camera is pretty decent. My favorite spec is 4K@60fps. I wonder if the drone could be programmed to land on a moving helipad. Put one on a top box with some kind of mechanism to trap it (no #3 wire) once it lands on the 'pad. Stow it in the box at your convenience. Or mod the topbox something like:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Not that I'm going to go continent hopping but DJI has a Mavic Air 2 for $800 that is really slick. It's more than double the max weight of drones that don't need to be registered - not that I have a fly free or die complex.
In addition to Noraly being an unintentional sales rep for RE, Arai, and Rev'It, I looked seriously at her choice of drones and may buy one someday based on what I've seen in her videos.

But before splashing out $800-$1,100 for a higher-end professional caliber model, I went with a low end camera drone. It's really in the "toy" category but it does let me fiddle around a bit and learn how to operate one. With a max range of about 200 feet and a very low weight it is in the "no need to register" category. With a max flight time of about 10 minutes per battery charge it's also in the "you need a bunch of spare batteries to make it worth it" category.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’m looking at another drone as well. I currently have a Yuneek breeze. It’s an introductory drone but now falls into the registration and pilots licence requirement category in Canada. It weighs 275gms. As with any drone there are a lot of restrictions on where you are legally allowed to fly it. Public thoroughfares is one of the verboten. The off road scenario is ideal for drone flying and the tracking mode features works well in that environment. Wifi tracking is soon to come into effect and as a result may land a fine on your doorstep if discovered you broke the rules.
I’m looking at the Mavic mini it’s under the 250 gm threshold for registering. It’s compact has long flight times and it does a decent job of airial cinematography. I wish it could do the way point gps tracking like the bigger drones do.
Noraly does great drone footage and her selfie stick talents are indeed enviable to me.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I wonder if she is aware that she would need a drone pilot's license in the US when she continues her trip into the former "Land of the Free".

... I currently have a Yuneek breeze.
That certainly is a yuneek spelling of the word.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
beemerphile said:
I wonder if she is aware that she would need a drone pilot's license in the US when she continues her trip into the former "Land of the Free".
As she's had a couple of DJI she may have known that when she got her first. I would imagine somebody has mentioned it in the comments section of YT or on her blog. She seems to do her homework but we'll probably find out eventually.

I went with a low end camera drone. It's really in the "toy" category but it does let me fiddle around a bit and learn how to operate one.
I was at Alice's Restaurant out this way and saw a guy flying a Mavic of some nature. It was moving around doing this an that and I admired his skill. He said "It's the drone. It's my first and this is my second time with it."

He didn't mention what model but did say he had three batteries. His philosophy was that he could spend less money and learn to pilot at the School of Hard Landings and Lost Drones or go with automation. It we were talking actual planes I'd want to know how to do what's needed because electronics fail and gravity is constant and unforgiving. With a drone autopilot is less of an issue.

I've been looking at the Mavic lineup for a bit now. The Air 2 has a flight time of 34min on one battery depending on a few factors. That's awesome. It also has enough sensors to flatten the learning curve for a responsible owner. That's looks to be more fun than the hours I've spent with the little $30 helos that have a real learning curve.

My more daunting task would be learning where I can fly. I'm not one to say- get a Russian chip that lets me avoid no fly zones. Or scope out apt buildings. Or buzz livestock. Or interfere with emergency services and get a drone splashed. I'm kind of a rules guy. Watching some fools on YT talk about their imagined skills as well as those pilots who are really good is a learning tool itself. The Air 2 ticks a whole lot of boxes for me should I make the move. And there's that camera. 4K @ 60fps. Awesome.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I saw a demo with (Dutch?) police using an eagle (bald not Strike) to take out a drone (DJI type not Reaper).

Eagles aren't a threat. I jink in their faces.. Now if it's an

F/A-20 Peregrine then I'm worried.

Top Bottom