Suits Jacket and pants or one piece suit?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'll be in need of a new jacket and riding pants this season but am contemplating would a 1 piece suit be better?

Looking at a cut other than a track style leather suit. Something more suitable for use on an ST and looser fitting than track suits appear to be.

Most of my driving is commuting to work and back daily with weekend scenic drives with my wife. Mostly highway speeds. Temps here I'd be using it in range from freezing to about 36C/97F.

I'm riding ATGATT about 99% of the time but am curious about the pros and cons of a 1 piece riding suit, ability to put rain gear over it easily etc.

Anyone have a one piece and have any pros and cons of them?

Thanks.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Uh-uh.
The Aerostich one-piece would be much faster, once you are used to it. Mere seconds, literally, to put on over work or street clothes.
But the 2-piece wins in the versatility department, hands down. Any brand.
The 'stich has garnered criticism through the years for a tendency to collect rain in your lap during extended wet riding. And soaking and seeping through, right there.
There are remedies, but it can be an issue.
EDIT: Tipster cross-posted while I was being wordy. They have a ride-in discount, 10% last I knew, thought I'd throw that out there since expense and markups in shipping to Canada has been mentioned a few times around here lately.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
For commuting, particularly in a cooler climate, the Aerostich is unbeatable. I commute 84 miles round trip and average 10K per year. I have previously owned a two piece and now have a one piece. I prefer the one piece for the current mission. I don't deliberately launch into rain, but get caught often enough. Never had the leaking crotch issue the one piece suits are said to be prone to, but then again, I'm not riding all day either. I don't own a rain suit, why bother? The two piece version is just as versatile, but takes just a bit longer to put on, and supposedly doesn't suffer the crotch leak issue. I find its good up to 80*F if you are moving, above that I just wear jeans and mesh. I can be in or out of the suit in less than 15 seconds, it fits over work clothing, and has armor. The pros hugely outweigh the cons. Dedicated leathers will protect you better, and a rain suit is probably going to keep you perfectly dry, and a mesh suit would be better in a hot climate, but the Aerostich does it all so well that you quickly see that its the best compromise.

RT

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
To me, the main advantage of the two-piece is being able to wear either part separately.

Second is being able to take just the top half, especially if it's wet where you're standing.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Uh-uh.
The Aerostich one-piece would be much faster, once you are used to it. Mere seconds, literally, to put on over work or street clothes.
I didn't catch your response to my comment until just now.

With two after-market hips and knee issues, getting in and out of bottoms isn't so fast and easy for me.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I have the one piece stitch and really like it. Like others said once you get used to it, very fast to get out of. I thought it would be warmer in the colder weather for some reason, it isn’t. Great for commuting with work cloths underneath. On long trips I take the 2 pieces. The one piece is bulky and usually I take long trips in the summer and the one piece gets very hot to me with every zipper open.
I compromised, I didn’t want to pay a fortune and get a new one piece ‘Stitch , so bought a used one at a good price to try it out. I like it but don’t love it. My go to suite is Rukka jacket and Aerostich pants. How’s that to muddy the waters.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm riding ATGATT about 99% of the time but am curious about the pros and cons of a 1 piece riding suit, ability to put rain gear over it easily etc.
any one piece suit you buy should be your rain gear as well as your crash protection, that's the idea behind Aerostich, etc.

I have the one piece stitch and really like it. Like others said once you get used to it, very fast to get out of. I thought it would be warmer in the colder weather for some reason, it isn’t.
The Aerostich gear isn't insulated, so its a bit colder than your typical riding jacket. I think it was designed that way so its more comfortable in warmer weather and you can keep wearing it, and for colder weather you put your own insulating layer underneath. That's a consideration in choosing the size, plan on putting something warm underneath the "jacket" part.

For me, hands down a two piece, for the reasons already given by other comments, especially for convenience and versatility.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
The Aerostich gear isn't insulated, so its a bit colder than your typical riding jacket. I think it was designed that way so its more comfortable in warmer weather and you can keep wearing it, and for colder weather you put your own insulating layer underneath. That's a consideration in choosing the size, plan on putting something warm underneath the "jacket" part.
I had bought it in the summer and it always felt hot. So on a cool but not cold morning I rode with my jeans and longs sleeve shirt under it, as I would my 2 piece, but it felt real cold. I always have my heated gear in the pannier so I put the liner on until it got warmer a couple of hours later. I was surprised it was such a cold magnet.
Never did test it out in an all day rain. But heavy rain on the way home from work I stayed dry (and hot).
One thing about the ‘stitch, even used it is a well made piece of gear. The padding, I’m sure was original, was falling apart and I got new ones , and the beating I gave it just putting the pads in their pockets, the suit didn’t even yield one thread let alone a rip and that suit had to be 15-18 years old when I got it.
Just make sure it fits as Larry says the neck to crotch measurement better not be too short or you will be yodelling, as that can’t be adjusted.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I use both, Klim mesh in summer ( in the humid south), and a one piece ‘Stich when temps won’t be over 82F or so.
Both my younger sister and I have taken spills wearing the ‘Stich, and it provided excellent protection.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I have both and I do like having a 2 piece when riding . The Stitch seems that you need to remove it to do basic bathroom things as well as when you sit down to eat . It is bulky on the back if not removed . I have a 2 piece that I ride with that is 95% dry in all but the monsoon rains . Hope this helps you !

My choice is a two piece with the pants being bibs "bibbers". I actually have two bibbers, for the winter I use a pair for snowboarders. In the summer I sue light weight bibbers from the sailboat crowd (nylon not rubberized saves space) The main advantage is obviously the overlap.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Two piece for me and all of mine (mesh, tactile or leathers) have the rear zipper to attach them limiting air on cold days and convenience of dropping the coat down when taking a break. Pants are more convenient when nature calls

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Two piece for me and all of mine (mesh, tactile or leathers) have the rear zipper to attach them limiting air on cold days and convenience of dropping the coat down when taking a break. Pants are more convenient when nature calls
Same here. I have two different two-piece riding suits. Even though the four pieces are all different brands, each jacket's back zipper happens to match one of the pants' zipper. One pair zips left-to-right, and the other pair zips right-to-left.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use both, Klim mesh in summer ( in the humid south), and a one piece ‘Stich when temps won’t be over 82F or so.
The combo of one piece and two pieces has served me well. Depending on the conditions and distance I make my decision. A simple web belt tucked in a pocket of my Roadcrafter allows me to slide out of the torso and arms and still wear the bottom of the suit. The most versatile piece of apparel I have used is a Roadcrafter.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have two one piece 'Stitch suits - both bought on ebay used. I loved the first one I got but found it a bit tight around the chest when I wore a heated jacket or pile jacket under the suit. Then I bought the next size larger (my second one). That was a better fit. These are the problems if you buy used. Then a 'Stitch jacket came up for sale - 10 years old and closet stored after a trial fit. Bought it in a heartbeat.

I liked the one piece because of the protection from the elements - rain and wind - and cold weather. It was a bit warm on hot days, so I rode with the zipper pulled down a bit.My problems with the one piece were due primarily to the kind of riding I do. I ride with our club or at rallies - usually home to breakfast, then a ride to lunch. When the ride stops the problems begin. Taking the suit off with mc boots on was difficult for me. If it had been raining, it was even more difficult (wet boots). Yes, I unzipped it fully. My ankles do NOT allow my foot to drop down enough for my foot to glide in and out of the suit (right leg, iirc). Look at how a woman can point her toe down - that would be ideal for putting on this suit. My other problem is what do you do with this huge piece of clothing in a restaurant? And how do you gracefully put it on inside the dining room? Not easily. I also had some concerns draping it on the floor to put it on in some of the dirtier places.

When I switched to a 2 piece, the pants never came off (ok, getting a wallet is a bit of a dance) but the jacket slipped over the chair back. Some of our club members take their gear off and either leave it loose atop their bikes or (one guy) loops a cable through it. I never felt comfortable doing this - esp if rain was imminent. I've been wearing the 2 piece suit mostly for the last 3 years or so. Much more flexible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom