Looking at a 2002 Goldwing

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcd/d/portland-2002-honda-gl1800-goldwing-abs/7614218500.html
I love my ST1300 but find myself getting more concerned with my inseam challenge as time goes on. I’ve been looking at Goldwings and my price range without a bike payment is right around what they’re asking for a bike near me.
I like the idea of cruise control,air shocks etc, I have about 4-5 trips down I-5 and back(900miles one way) in the next 5 months these would be nice to have. ..Any opinions on the bike or suggestions to consider on different years or ?
Thanks,
John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had an 01 and 05 and they were great bikes.. The only bike I ever got that I could do 1k miles on with a stock seat. I haven't kept up with any issues.. I think there was something about a circlip on the alternator or something but I think it's a rare thing and not sure I'm even remembering that correctly.

Reverse is something I have missed since I sold my last wing.. definitely a great thing for short inseams. Take it for a spin and see what you think. You'll be surprised how light it feels by comparison.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
before i got my ST 1300 i was looking at 2005 - 2010 Wings. i didn't find it to feel lighter than the ST or the 1500 Wing that i was riding. being a six footer i'm not exactly inseam challenged. my challenge is upper body Streight, i've lost a lot of it since my injury back in '98. early in '15 i went to a GWOF M&G over in PA. the rides were great with lots of curvy roads, pure joy when i got there my plan was to buy an 1800 Wing and a ST 1100. those curvy roads left me with sore arms, my butter muscles hurt for a couple days after getting home and the decision was made to pass on the 1800 Wing and the ST 1100 and just get an ST 1300. i seem to still be interested in those 1800 Wings but don't want the weight

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Reasonable Price for a GW with lower mileage! Verify all the recalls were done and had the cracked frame recalled this year.
Thanks for that suggestion, I went and looked at it, then called a Honda service to verify via vin # it has had the recalls done and there are no open ones for this bike.

Take it for a spin and see what you think. You'll be surprised how light it feels by comparison.
I just sat on it to verify my T-rex arms could reach without heli bars and my feet could touch the ground... great fit. I didn't ride it because I think I would have bought it on impulse right away, without verifying recalls and such. Thanks for your feedback!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I first rode a Wing 5 years ago I was amazed how much lighter it was to push up off the side stand compared to my ST1300 which I attribute to its lower seat height and lower center of gravity. I also thought prior to that ride that a 900 lb motorcycle could not be as nimble as a Wing is. Its handling belies its considerable mass however that mass can block a lot of wind for riders in hot climates. A pair of under mirror air deflectors and a Madstad windshield allow plenty of air to flow into the cockpit area when moving.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I have an '03 wing in addition to my ST1300. They're both great bikes. My wife prefers the Goldwing seating and cushy backrest and I like it when I go long distances as it's a smoother ride on the freeways as well as having cruise control. I prefer the ST1300 for shorter rides especially when there are twists and turns. My .02

Had a 2007 Audio Comfort ... great bike - there are moments where you realize the weight. Great for long distance two-up. Wife loved the Captain's chair :thumb:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I also thought prior to that ride that a 900 lb motorcycle could not be as nimble as a Wing is. Its handling belies its considerable mass <SNIP>
I can attest to that (mis-)perception, as once the Wing became fully-faired and added some (lots of!) weight, I viewed this bike as I do tractor-trailers on the highway; that is, big, unwieldy, preponderous, but good for straight-line travel.
THEN! I saw some police bike rodeos, and one of my MSF RiderCoach buddies who could do amazing turns, tight circles, and others riding in Gymkhanas. I had NO idea of their nimbleness, because all I'd seen till then were the 2-up, matching helmets and satin jackets couples riding with their friends on GoldWings to the Dairy Queen. We've all seen them... the ones with the stuffed teddy bears or other plush mascots bungeed to the trunk, you know what I mean.
It makes a huge difference when you see a competent rider in the saddle, and I can say the same for big BMW adventure bikes too... they look gargantuan, even impractical. But all that changes when you see someone who actually has SKILLZ to make them perform.
(Chris Birch, Bret Tcaks, Jim Hyde, Jimmy Lewis, and others.)
Watch some of the past BMW GS Trophy videos on YouTube, and you'll get a different insight into what they (GS and GS/A) can do.
EDIT: and let's not forget, to the best of my knowledge, Yellow Wolf STILL holds the record for quickest round-trip end to end on Highway 129 / Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon. No sportbike or even a lightweight cornering cruise missile can ride it as fast as him. Not yet, anyway.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The man who used to own the Honda dealer local to me was a life-long road rider, trials rider, racer on the track, etc.. He took a Goldwing one year as his demo bike. This was the old models that were like monstrous sofas going down the road. He used to organize a ride one day a month and invite all of his customers. One time I went and he was riding this Goldwing. There were several ST1100's (no 1300 at that time), RT's and several crotch rockets of various kinds as well. No one could keep up with him, even the crotch rockets. I had never seen a Goldwing go so fast and lean so much. I can only imagine that the newer versions of the Goldwing are that much more nimble and adept.

The point- Goldwings are very competent motorcycles despite their look, and the competency of the rider makes a bigger difference than the motorcycle.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I don't know about the 2002 Wings but the new ones can haul a**. A couple years ago I was following a few of those new Wings on the Arkansas back roads and I was having trouble keeping up on my much lighter sport tourer. It opened my eyes up.

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
I owned a 2003 Goldwing for 17 years. Bought it new and had the frame recall done. When I traded it in the dealer told me there were additional frame cracks. They were repairable but somewhat expensive. You might have somebody who knows what they're looking at inspect it. I had no idea there were more cracks.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
I had an ST1300 since ‘04. I have found my ‘01 GL1800 is almost as nimble as the ST,
except the wheelbase is a bit longer, and ground clearance is a bit lower. Scraped
the pegs a few times. But, for a 900 pound bike, and it’s engine design, it’s center
of gravity is so low, make the bike very easy to handle. Though I do miss the ST,
the Gold Wing is a great bike also.

EB903756-90F9-4901-95E4-14330E073916.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Check the frame for cracks….carefully.
Also, check the support for parts availability, even though it’s a wing, ECU’s and stuff are going obsolete on a bike of that vintage
Good luck finding something that fits you and makes you happy.
Ride safe.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the 2001-2004 GL1800s have a history of cracking frames but not all bikes were affected and there are tons and tons of long term happy owners of 2001-2004s. Honda replaced frames on some affected bikes and repaired others. After 21 years and 78,000 miles on the considered bike any cracks would likely have shown up by now.

There’s a lot of touring capability for not a lot of money in older Wings. My better half and I at the 2018 Blue Ridge Gathering.

TwoUpDragon.jpg

Top Bottom