Lower fuel tank leaking

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Lately my 2006 ST1300 would stall when I came to a stop, not very often, but often enough. Since I have almost 50k miles on the odometer I decided to replace the fuel filter and while in there replace the fuel pump. I ordered a complete fuel pump kit from Quantum for under $100. Since it was my first time performing this job I took my time and finished the job without any issues. Put a gallon of gas in the tank and the following day went to fill it at the gas station. Just to be sure I took off the seat while filling and did it slowly. To my surprise gas was pouring out between the packing (gasket) and the tank. Ironically I was across the street from a Honda dealership, and they didn’t have another packing for sale. After the gas stopped spilling I rode it home. Long story longer, ended up trying 3 different gaskets and they all leaked. Searched the forum and found an article about the lower tank lip being bent. It seemed to be bent in a spot, so I carefully bent it back to where it felt straight. After numerous attempts and after it continued to leak I contacted Igofar. As always he provided information that was not only common sense, but methodical. After a few deep breaths I took one of the previously leaking gaskets that still looked new, lubricated the top that sits just below the fuel pump housing, made sure that there was nothing between the gasket and housing using a flashlight, tightened the nuts slowly in the correct pattern and then actually tightened the nuts, but this time didn’t go by the 9 ft lbs of torque as noted in the manual. I also placed powder all around the fuel pump housing in case it continued to leak I would be able to verify where it was leaking, I connected everything, fired it up.....and this time there were no leaks. Larry’s confident demeanor along with his knowledge, and my need for reassurance got the issue resolved.
As everyone realizes that has reached out to Larry, his help is invaluable. What did we do before Igofar?

THANK YOU LARRY! I truly appreciate all of your help, Always!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Barry, you do realize that there are two completely different torque patterns for installing the fuel pump right?
If you look carefully at your service manual, the first one you come to is for just the 2003 year model.
On the next page, you'll find the correct pattern for model years AFTER 2003.
Did you see this? Did you follow the correct sequence?
Is your bike still leak free?

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
1st...I did not realize the next page in the manual was for my year, and I did not follow that sequence, but my luck changed after discussing this with Larry. I also did not follow the torque specs (knowing another new packing was on its way and since the gasket that was used previously leaked, but seemed to be in good shape).
As for the post, I never would have thought about the drain tube running through the gas tank, which is why I love this forum. Thanks All!

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
My tank just dumped a ton of fuel. I had no idea this was a problem until I stumbled across this post. @Igofar I NEED YOU!!

Top Bottom