M77 Replaces Moly 60- Apparently So

All I can tell you is that the manufacturer of the Honda Canada version of this product (Moly 77 Grease Honda Canada PN 08798-9010CH) states that it contains between 60 and 70% molybdenum disulfide which meets the specifications of the Honda service manual and is what Honda Canada has said to use in place of the now discontinued Moly 60.

All I can tell you is that the manufacturer of the Honda Canada version of this product (Moly 77 Grease Honda Canada PN 08798-9010CH) states that it contains between 60 and 70% molybdenum disulfide which meets the specifications of the Honda service manual and is what Honda Canada has said to use in place of the now discontinued Moly 60.

In terms of the price comparison, both(M77 and M77-CH) seem to be similar, but Loctite product is cheaper per oz.

Curious, if Canadian version can be had in the states side?

Thanks to both of you Dave and Andrew. Some of the confusion has now been demystified!

So with the US/Canada part number distinction now being made, is the consensus that those of us in Canada should continue using our white tubes of Moly 77 Grease Canada PN 08798-9010CH? It is what I have been using for the last 3 tire changes (don't know what the dealer/tire shops used before that) and my splines look great.

You write that you have been using the Moly 77 Grease Honda Canada PN 08798-9010CH that is sold in the white tube for the past three tire changes so that is somewhere in the vicinity of 40 to 60, 000 KM at a guess. Since you have some longevity with this product maybe you can provide some feedback for us. Larry (IGOFAR) of this forum has reported that he has found that splines lubed with the American version of the M-77 Assembly Paste, Honda America PN 08798-9010 were not sufficiently protected by this product. He has found that it did not adhere to the metal surfaces, has dried out and clumped together in to little balls not providing any lubrication. He has seen spline damage that he attributes to this American version of M-77 Assembly Paste. Whether it is actually the paste or the manner in which it was initially applied is anybody's guess. You have written that your splines look great so I assume that you have not seen any damage or abnormal wear since using the Canadian version of the Honda Moly 77 Grease. Did the Moly 77 Grease remain in tact on the surface of the splines and adhered to the metal surfaces as it is supposed? Did it remain somewhat moist as in the grease/paste state or did it dry out and harden?

Last edited:
Larry (IGOFAR) of this forum has reported that he has found that splines lubed with the American version of the M-77 Assembly Paste, Honda America PN 08798-9010 were not sufficiently protected by this product. He has found that it did not adhere to the metal surfaces, has dried out and clumped together in to little balls not providing any lubrication. He has seen spline damage that he attributes to this American version of M-77 Assembly Paste.

Whether it is actually the paste or the manner in which it was initially applied is anybody's guess.

With the two bikes that Larry worked on whose owners claimed "the dealer said they used the M-77 paste", we don't know what the dealer actually used, how much of it, or what was its consistency coming out of the tube. I don't think we've had one owner yet who maintains his own bike come out and say M-77 didn't work.

Let me correct you there, I have applied the M-77 Paste on half a dozen bikes since this debate has started, and pulled the wheels to check them when they had approximately 2-3 months or 1000 miles on the bikes, and found that the M-77 failed completely on two or three of these bikes! And yes, I used M-77 from two different (New) tubes to be fair.
The splines were cleaned down to bare metal, wiped dry, and applied in the correct amount to both surfaces.
One failure turned into a liquid, watery mess, that dripped off, and could be wiped off with one swipe of a towel, while the other two or three dried up and turned into the familiar dust balls that caked up and were found rolling around inside the spline area.
And yes, I kneaded the tube enough to make sure that the "stuff" in the tube was mixed up correctly before applying.
I tested it on my own personal bike as well with the same results.
I have just tested/inspected my second wheel/splines using the Loctite Moly 60, and I must say I am more than impressed!
After 1000 miles, of aggressive riding, heat, and highway riding, the Loctite stuff was not only still on the splines, it looked like I had just put it on and was ready to put the wheel back on the bike.
I don't care what someone says just because they work at a Honda dealership, (sales people are trained to sell stuff) and were told by someone else that this is what we are using/selling now in place of the original stuff, I want to be able to see results first hand, and know what works, and what does not work for me.
I have seen enough damage, printed information, and comments, to cause me to doubt that the stuff Honda is now selling.
The service manual is very clear between the "grease" and "paste" applications, and the M-77 in my humble opinion, should be used on the back of brake pads, as stated by the automotive Honda parts folks, and nothing else.
I'm going to be using the Loctite brand on my personal bikes from now on, and let folks decide what they want to use on their own bikes.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you Dave and Andrew. Some of the confusion has now been demystified!

So with the US/Canada part number distinction now being made, is the consensus that those of us in Canada should continue using our white tubes of Moly 77 Grease Canada PN 08798-9010CH? It is what I have been using for the last 3 tire changes (don't know what the dealer/tire shops used before that) and my splines look great.
+1, more detail would be good, time, distance between changes etc.
Thanks.
Upt'North.

I can't find the Loctite Moly 60 for sale anywhere. The Enco vendor website is gone.
I did find a Loctite MS-70 paste , used for offshore applications it says.

Any suggestions?

I can't find the Loctite Moly 60 for sa----le anywhere. The Enco vendor website is gone.
I did find a Loctite MS-70 paste , used for offshore applications it says.

Any suggestions?

You should be able to get it from any auto parts store of your choice. If they do not have it on the shelf they should be able to get it easily enough. I went to my local auto parts store at about 10 in the morning and asked for it. They did not have any on the shelf. They ordered it for me and I had in my hand at 4 p.m. that same afternoon.

Let me correct you there, I have applied the M-77 Paste on half a dozen bikes since this debate has started, and pulled the wheels to check them when they had approximately 2-3 months or 1000 miles on the bikes, and found that the M-77 failed completely on two or three of these bikes! And yes, I used M-77 from two different (New) tubes to be fair.

thanks for the clarification, with all the traffic on this topic I may have missed that comment in an earlier post.

You write that you have been using the Moly 77 Grease Honda Canada PN 08798-9010CH that is sold in the white tube for the past three tire changes so that is somewhere in the vicinity of 40 to 60, 000 KM at a guess. Since you have some longevity with this product maybe you can provide some feedback for us. Larry (IGOFAR) of this forum has reported that he has found that splines lubed with the American version of the M-77 Assembly Paste, Honda America PN 08798-9010 were not sufficiently protected by this product. He has found that it did not adhere to the metal surfaces, has dried out and clumped together in to little balls not providing any lubrication. He has seen spline damage that he attributes to this American version of M-77 Assembly Paste. Whether it is actually the paste or the manner in which it was initially applied is anybody's guess. You have written that your splines look great so I assume that you have not seen any damage or abnormal wear since using the Canadian version of the Honda Moly 77 Grease. Did the Moly 77 Grease remain in tact on the surface of the splines and adhered to the metal surfaces as it is supposed? Did it remain somewhat moist as in the grease/paste state or did it dry out and harden?

Unfortunately, my riding style has me replacing my rear tire every 10,000 km (I don't commute, 99% of my riding is on trips to ride the twistiest roads in Montana, Idaho, Washington & Oregon, of which there are plenty) so my observation is really only over 20,000 km, since third tire change is still on the bike. I would assume that given my riding style is pretty hard on tires, its probably pretty hard on the splines too.

What I can tell you is that when taking the wheel off the splines looked like they were still nicely greased, nothing dried or clumped.

I have noticed that the "stuff in the tube" really does need to be kneaded up before application, as it does separate (kind of like ketchup separates), with a thinner liquid separated from the dark grey stuff, which I assume is the Moly.

I'll update after the next rear tire change.

I picked up some moly paste today.
Amusingly it came in a ziplock bag which the dealer labeled “Moly 60â€.
f9d9938291296338ca0dba328747fbe3.jpg

It's made by PolySi Technologies in NC.
At $21.95 it's pretty expensive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the correct Canadian part number so I’m not concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's the correct number on the dealer installed label, but not on the tube itself. What makes you think there is Moly 60 in there??

Back
Top Bottom