Mirror glass

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Any advice on mirror glass for my 1100? Everything is overseas and rakes forever.
Any for sale?
Im forsed to sell my red, due to moving and dont want to sell a bike without mirrors

Bike
2000 ST1100
Any advice on mirror glass for my 1100? Everything is overseas and rakes forever.
Any for sale?
Im forsed to sell my red, due to moving and dont want to sell a bike without mirrors
Try to see if a glass company can cut you a piece of glass mirror.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't know if your mirrors are flat or slightly convex to give a wider field of view. If convex, I think you might be out of luck, but talk to several glass shops about this. There is a mega BMW dealership near you. I almost bought my ST from them while visiting my sister who was living outside Boston some years back. Anyway, this dealership (Max something?) has an excellent reputation and were you to go over there and talk to their service dept, they might be able to direct you to someone who can cut convex mirrors.

Were I in your shoes, I'd probably hack something out of a piece of flat mirror as a temporary measure and order the right part (if available) and wait for it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Any for sale?
wait, what??? You rode that thing out to CO, why not ride it out there again? Or trailer it if you're driving a car.

The stock mirror glass is convex, but I think if you have a mirror/glass shop cut you the correct shape out of plain old mirror it will still work OK.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
FYI: the stock plastic glass holder is curved inside so flat glass won't sit in there unless you make modifications.

You can get curved glass mirror blanks (same curvature) at the auto parts store. A big pickup truck mirror blank is big enough to do both sides. You or an experienced glass cutter can cut to shape. Then you just pop it in to the plastic holder. I've done it several times.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Say it ain’t so double P. I figured all the history you and Red have you’d be impossible to break apart. Ship it if you can’t tow it or ride it. Heck once you move, fly back and ride it out west. But make sure you do it when there is snow in the forecast, like old times.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Thanks everyone! Ordered them from oversees. They were going to take 20 days to get here, which was way too long, so I paid $22 more to get them here next week. Going to list the bike on Craigslist in Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts. Thats about $30 for 30 days in each state. U are going to hate what I'm asking! $3000!, and I think it will sell. Bike prices are thru the roof up here. I will be looking for another bike as soon as I get settled in Colorady. I'm missing touring this spring. Last year I was in upstate n.y. riding thru slush and snow. One hell of a good time!

But again, My thanks to all! Ride safe!

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
wait, what??? You rode that thing out to CO, why not ride it out there again? Or trailer it if you're driving a car.

The stock mirror glass is convex, but I think if you have a mirror/glass shop cut you the correct shape out of plain old mirror it will still work OK.
Wish I could ride it out there. Gotta save every dime. I have to restart my business there and I don't know how thats going to work yet.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks everyone! Ordered them from oversees. They were going to take 20 days to get here, which was way too long, so I paid $22 more to get them here next week. Going to list the bike on Craigslist in Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts. Thats about $30 for 30 days in each state. U are going to hate what I'm asking! $3000!, and I think it will sell. Bike prices are thru the roof up here. I will be looking for another bike as soon as I get settled in Colorady. I'm missing touring this spring. Last year I was in upstate n.y. riding thru slush and snow. One hell of a good time!

But again, My thanks to all! Ride safe!
No. We are not going to hate your price. Just like 15 year old cars are selling not sitting for thousands over what they are worth. You can get way over for your bike. It should sell for that price..

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Cant recommend mirrors. They r flat glass. I have to find a way to glue them in and make them work. I don't have time for this. Does anyone have suggestions on how i can deal with making these work? Glue types for example? Open to all suggestions
Has anyone ever heated the black plastic up to flatten them? Thats a pretty dumb idea, huh?

Does anyone know what the coating is on the back of the glass?

I really need to list this bike as soon as possible.

Thanks to all!D282F4FE-0D77-4500-A4AA-08C3110D8AFF.jpeg2EAE2717-B741-43AC-AF45-B2FC60D5052A.jpeg

The yellow things are rubber bands

Last edited:
3m makes a double sided tape for outdoor use, holds 20lbs / sq inch , have used it to hold mirrors on many a time . I Get it from home depot. It's about a 1/8 th of a inch think.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
3m makes a double sided tape for outdoor use, holds 20lbs / sq inch , have used it to hold mirrors on many a time . I Get it from home depot. It's about a 1/8 th of a inch think.
Thanks. There is a space behind the glass thats to wide for tape. I wonder if velcro and glue would do it
8E00ED26-EB12-407E-8BC2-D08643A6C70C.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you are concerned about the gap that will be created between the flat mirror and the curved base that it sits on, get a couple of the silicone self-adhesive type of bumpers that are used for cabinet doors. They are available in many different sizes and thicknesses for use on cabinets, chair/table legs etc.. Get the thickness that best matches the space between the mirror outside edge and the plastic. You can stick them to each other to make them thicker or cut them in half to get the thicknesses that you need. Stick them on what ever location on the back of the mirror that allows the mirror to sit the best against the plastic. Get some black silicone- it is available in auto-parts stores. Run a bead all around the perimeter of the mirror and in the centre of the glass to give it more holding surface area and support. The silicone is what will hold the mirror in place. The bumpers are only to support the mirror in the correct place until the silicone cures. The silicone will fill in the gap between the mirror and the plastic behind it. Because it is black it won't stand out.

If you can take the mirrors off to do this, it will be much easier as you can lay the mirror on flat until the silicone cures. Otherwise you will have to support the bottom of the mirrors so that they don't slide down out of place until the silicone cures.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You posted the picture while I was typing. That gap is pretty small. You don't need the bumpers that I mentioned. Just get some black silicone and smear it all over the back of the mirror to support the glass. Smooth out a nice bead along the outside edge. Once it cures you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
You posted the picture while I was typing. That gap is pretty small. You don't need the bumpers that I mentioned. Just get some black silicone and smear it all over the back of the mirror to support the glass. Smooth out a nice bead along the outside edge. Once it cures you'll be good to go.
Great idea, that gap will b on the bottom of the mirror, so im not too worried about that, and i can goop the back of it pretty good, rubber band it and let it dry for a day ir two. I would imagine the silicone will adhere the parts well, and it also is softer than many glues.
Thank you

Top Bottom