MN to Phoenix and back.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I love these kind of trips. Done a few to California and Florida for work, although my schedule wasn't as tight as yours.

Good luck with your ride. Post up some pics and ride details if you get a chance.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Kent you better high tail it out of Wisconsin and get south on Friday. Looks like winter weather by 11 pm Friday night starting in Rockford Illinois. Don't know where it is going to come from yet.
Yep. I should have things wrapped up in Wausau about 4pm tomorrow and make at least Cedar Rapids before a snack stop. I'll evaluate weather and decide how much further and how much south I need to be before I stop.

Later,
Kent Larson in Wisconsin

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I love these kind of trips. Done a few to California and Florida for work, although my schedule wasn't as tight as yours.

Good luck with your ride. Post up some pics and ride details if you get a chance.
Thanks. Will do.
Later,
Kent Larson in Wisconsin

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Yep. I should have things wrapped up in Wausau about 4pm tomorrow and make at least Cedar Rapids before a snack stop. I'll evaluate weather and decide how much further and how much south I need to be before I stop.

Later,
Kent Larson in Wisconsin
That's faster going that way? That is interesting, I would have thought 90/39 south to 55 over to ST Louis. I guess I have to go look at a map.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
That's faster going that way? That is interesting, I would have thought 90/39 south to 55 over to ST Louis. I guess I have to go look at a map.
Faster isn't always the goal but 90 to 55 would add about 90 minutes getting to St. Louis from Wausau. I'll post an update at the end of each days ride in case anyone is curious about how it is going.

Later,
Kent Larson in Wisconsin

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Started a day early because of the weather forecast. I had to be back in Minnesota yesterday and then back to Wausau, WI today so the trip started today with 200 miles in the wrong direction. Instead of going back home after getting done for the day, I headed straight south so not to be stuck in the snow tomorrow.

I purposely targeted Cedar Rapids, IA so that I'd branch West just before Madison, WI which would have been better had I managed to leave by 4 as planned instead of 6pm as required by the days duties.

But, like my group of motorcycle dorks from the 1990's always said, "It's not an adventure until something goes wrong." (Things often went wrong.)

About 10 miles off the freeway, the Google Maps voice in my head stopped talking. I still had "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo keeping me company but no guidance when the road forked. Luckily my 28 year old self had vivid memories of running these same alphabet roads from 25 years ago and I recognized where I was after taking a number of random roads for a bit trying to maintain a general Southwesterly direction.

It was eerie running through a gray/white/black washed-out landscape with bare branched trees and salt strewn pavement as the sun dimmed out behind a sky of solid clouds. While I could still see, memories superimposed the brilliant blue sky and bright green fields from the last romp through these same roads. 30 minutes latter and a fade to black had the world reduced to an illuminated 30 feet of pavement with no knowledge of what lay beyond. Not the right time of day for frequent turns with signs recommending sub-40mph.

I glimpsed taillights a few miles ahead and risked overrunning my lights for a bit to catch up. The next few hours gave me time to think up "4 wheeled rolling lanterns" as I took advantage of the 4 wheeled rolling lanterns illuminating my way through pitch black back roads and unlit Wisconsin county highways.

When I reached Dubuque, Iowa the winds were whipping up and snow felt imminent so I'm stopped for the night. Google Maps says 24 hours to go which is just 1 hour better than the estimate if I started from home in Woodbury MN. But from here I should have just wet roads in the morning vs. the miles wide band of 6 to 8 inch snow accumulation predicted for most of Southwest Minnesota.

I thoroughly enjoyed today's ride but did take too much risk in the dark. I'll be sticking to daylight rides the rest of the way, if possible.

Day 1: 435.2 miles

Later,
Kent Larson from Dubuque IA

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Good to know. I have been watching the weather map at work thinking of you and wondering how you were making out. Dubuque should be getting snow right now and it has some rain behind it.
Let the adventure begin!
STGuy

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Just an FYI. I-70 at Vail Colorado was closed last night until this morning. So changing your initial route was a good thing, the unpredictable snow has struck again.. Have a safe trip

Bike
ST1300
Good luck on your trip. Be ready for some wind, it's pretty windy her in NTX, 15-25mph. It will pick up out on the prairie. Ride safe.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Day 2: 200 miles in about 4 hours of riding and a lot of hours waiting.

That sucked, but, I'd still rather be doing this than anything else. I like facing and overcoming challenges and today had a lot of them.

I waited until 10 to get started but the snow just kept coming. Dubuque was wet but not accumulating so I gave it a try. As I headed south it kept getting colder and deeper. About when I was deciding things were just too nuts to try to continue, I lost the back end and tossed it down the road. Shattered the left mirror but there was so little friction that I didn't even scratch up any of my gear.

Needed help lifting a bike for the first time ever. I think I would have gotten it up had I solid footing but without being able to lean my weight into it, I couldn't manage alone.

After getting it up and out of the way I sat down to wait for rain. After an hour or so a police officer pulled up and shared his radar. Nothing but snow for hours. Now that it's behind me, I know I would have been waiting all day and still sitting there with snow accumulating until after dark.

$65 got a trailer ride back to the dealership in Dubuque where they couldn't sell me tires or but could help me get a few minor things fixed up. Since they couldn't help I'm now planning for rubber to last until Phoenix so I can order and install new shoes there for the ride back. It's pushing it but all the cold road riding should help the rubber last.

It was a very challenging 200 miles today with high winds whipping snow across all the North/South roads. I had to abort and U-turn 3 times today when I found South-bound roads too sketchy. The West-bound riding was better but I had to be really smooth on the controls all day. Coasting through patches of slush and riding wheel tracks was needed but I probably averaged 60mph. Didn't wave to any motorcycle riders but did get the wave from a number of snowmobilers riding the ditches.

When I finally got over to Highway 35 South I thought I'd make good time but found the same blown-snow ice problems and finally needed to give it up for the day as the sun set and temps dropped below freezing.

Wish me luck tomorrow. I'm still enjoying the adventure but I have to start making up for lost time. Des Moines has 30⁰F forecast at sunrise and 35⁰F by noon. 200 miles South, Kansas City has 35⁰F at sunrise, 41⁰F at noon and 50⁰F by 4pm. Looks like I'll be good for weather as soon as I can get to Kansas City but I have a lot of time to make up.

Later,
Kent Larson from Des Moines

Attachments

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Any recommendations for who I should use for tires in Phoenix?

Thanks,
Kent Larson from Des Moines

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have motorcycle buddies in Phoenix so I will check. Glad you aren't hurt.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Wow. You are one crazy sum*****! I admire that in a man.

Keep up the ride reports! The good, the bad, the ugly.

I rode to Oakville, west of Toronto, today for new tire installation. Sunny and about 28F when I set out. Glorious!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
This is definitely one of the more interesting ride reports I'm likely to see. Good luck, keep it coming, and be on time for your psychiatric exam after it's done. :)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow... I think I would be heading back towards home, a hot shower, and a warm bed!!!

Ride safe... if possible...

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
So as I am reading this, I'm still trying to figure this out. You wanted to do close to 2000 miles in two days in the middle of winter with one part going over the Rocky mountains but you also needed new tires that you planned on getting along the way??? And you thought that was a good plan and you would make it no problem??

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So as I am reading this, I'm still trying to figure this out. You wanted to do close to 2000 miles in two days in the middle of winter with one part going over the Rocky mountains but you also needed new tires that you planned on getting along the way??? And you thought that was a good plan and you would make it no problem??
People weigh and accept risks according to their own lights.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
I had the pleasure of meeting Kent and his wife last August during MnSTOC event. I arranged a RTE at the pie place close to Lanesboro. Several of us showed up to eat a little pie. Kent and his wife rode up to meet us on a Honda Grom to join us riding 2 up :eek:. I asked him if they rode that bike all the way from the twin cities area? He said he did not, as they parked up by the interstate, unloaded it off their truck and rode it the few mile to meet us. I believe they were travelling to Wisconsin to look at a ST 1300 for sale that another member had available.

I had only met Kent and his wife for the short hour, but I could tell he was a very determined individual if he decided to do something. If any of you members followed the "coldest ride" recently posted by Paul which he started last fall, Kent, if my memory serves correctly, came in second during the posting.

In summary, I believe Kent can do this if anyone can do it this time of year. My hat goes off to Kent and his determination.

Have a safe ride Kent....Hope your not riding your Grom this time :rolleyes:

Jeff

Last edited:
Top Bottom