Boots Motorcycle Boots or Regular Boots?

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I have the Alpinestars Ridge boots. They are very comfortable on and off the bike, waterproof, but fortunately haven't tested their crashworthiness.

Bike
ST1300
I wish one of us was an EMT. They could tell us what they actually see as they tend to our broken up bodies.

Chris
I can't tell you what the EMT's see but I can tell you what they will do when you break your ankle or leg. They are going to get out their EMT scissors and cut your boot/boots and/or pants off. They will cut take off your boot/boots with out cutting them if you ask but it's going to hurt.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can tell you what they will do when you break your ankle or leg. They are going to get out their EMT scissors and cut your boot/boots and/or pants off.
There's also the helmet chin strap. :cry:

Last edited:
I can't tell you what the EMT's see but I can tell you what they will do when you break your ankle or leg. They are going to get out their EMT scissors and cut your boot/boots and/or pants off. They will cut take off your boot/boots with out cutting them if you ask but it's going to hurt.
The emerg nurses/ Dr's may do that but up here they'll immobilize the injured area and transport.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
I personally wear these:

https://www.511tactical.com/atac-8-shield-csaastm-boot.html

These are my work boots. As I get a new pair of work boots. My old pair then becomes my riding boots. Provided by work, so fortunately they are free to me. One of the guys on my squad(who was on the motor unit at the time) actually crashed in his bad enough to total his HD and all that happened to his boot was some scuffing near his ankle bone, but no injuries to his feet, or ankles. Unfortunately for him, he was not wearing a riding jacket and wearing "Mechanix" gloves. . So he got scuffed and scratched a bit on his arms and hands. . . Buy he is fine now. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's a very good boot. I have a pair.
Best walking/riding boot I have.

I also like my Chippewa boots. Awesome boot! Glove leather lined etc. Not GREAT walking boot due to big heel but REALLY nice an a tall bike like my ST is to me.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
That's a very good boot. I have a pair.
Best walking/riding boot I have.
I have read where the 5.11 Tactical boot is supposed to be waterproof. Since the boots are not motorcycle specific are they waterproof enough to keep your feet dry during prolonged riding in the rain? Also, a lot of motorcycle specific boots have a scuff pad on the toe area to protect the boot from the abrasion of the shifter. How does the leather hold up on the toe area of the 5.11 Tactical boot from the wear and tear of the shifter?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The line, you get what you pay for...well, when you ride through city and freeway (stop-n-go and lane splitting) around 275 days/around 30,000 miles a year, things wear fast...

Since Redwing quit making their 969 boot, I really haven't found a boot I like yet. So I thought I'd try these out.

I have spent (in the past big $$$ for boots, but my boot budget, like my jacket budget won't allow me to spend big bucks on them any more...and although I have had some boots resoled in the past, I'm just never happy with them after that and I go through the boot soles pretty fast. (Flintstone braking comes to mind! :rofl1:
I have a pair of Red Wing Motorcycle boots that my last employer paid for because they were required for a project that I was working on at the time. No, the project had nothing to do with riding motorcycles, but required steel toed boots of my choice from Red Wing, so my supervisor approved their purchase at company expense. They are mode 971, and are 7" tall. They are comfortable for riding, but seem heavy to me (I don't have a lot of experience wearing motorcycle-specific riding boots). The boots are just OK for walking short distances, but I wouldn't want to walk very far in them, partly because of their weight. I got these ~8 years ago, and just checked the Red Wing website and learned that they are no longer available. I may have known at one time what they cost my employer, but I have long since forgotten

I did notice they have a style #4473 9-inch boot that looks pretty good on paper, but they may or may not be as good as they appear.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'm on my second pair of TourMaster Solution boots. Got about 80,000 riding miles out of the first pair. They may not have as much protection as some of the more expensive boots but they have kept my feet dry, warm and I think well protected. Every accident is different and what will happen to your feet will differ but I do know, that accidents or not, **** gets thrown up at us all the time and I won't ride without something well past my ankles. The few times I did short rides in just sneakers, I was surprised at how vulnerable and downright naked I felt (be glad that was a feeling and not reality). The flip flop side (pun) of that is realizing how many riders feel that shorts and sandals are appropriate motorcycle gear.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have never found a MC boot in my size (7.5 4E) so I have always used 8" hiking boots... I've never been hit or gone down in a slide.
(I have a 27" inseam too; so, don't look at my tip over count... it's only half joking!)

Some people recommend just getting a larger size; but, then you loose the *feel* of the shift...

I'll stick with leather/waterproof/steel shank hiking boots.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I'm on my second pair of TourMaster Solution boots. Got about 80,000 riding miles out of the first pair. They may not have as much protection as some of the more expensive boots but they have kept my feet dry, warm and I think well protected. Every accident is different and what will happen to your feet will differ but I do know, that accidents or not, **** gets thrown up at us all the time and I won't ride without something well past my ankles. The few times I did short rides in just sneakers, I was surprised at how vulnerable and downright naked I felt (be glad that was a feeling and not reality). The flip flop side (pun) of that is realizing how many riders feel that shorts and sandals are appropriate motorcycle gear.
I have the Tourmaster Epic boot right now. It definitely feels like a quality riding boot, to me anyway. It's like the next iteration of what you're wearing. I want to get a summer boot and the only two I'm looking at are the Tourmaster Solution Air and the Epic Air.

I saw a motorcycle crash video taken from a freeway overpass. In the first second, the rider's sneaker was torn off. I don't want to imagine what was left of that foot.

Chris

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
A lot of my clothing budget goes toward gas, tires, brakes, oil and filters...oil and air. Like Super Sabre I ride over 300 days a year in all weather conditions the mid west can throw at you. I get about 3-4 months out of a set of tires. I get about 5 years out of a pair of boots, helmet, jacket and some riding pants. I have to buy my gear on sale, or used through a forum like this, and buy medium of the road quality wise, usually HJC, Tourmaster and Alpinestars. Being retired and living on SS and my savings, dictates I can't spend big bucks on any one item. Gas and tires are my biggest expense, everything else take a back seat to those items. I could wear more expensive boot but the difference between a $150 pair of boots and a $400 boots is a months worth of gas,

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Gas and tires are my biggest expense, everything else take a back seat to those items. I could wear more expensive boot but the difference between a $150 pair of boots and a $400 boots is a months worth of gas,
You need to ride my bike with the CT on the back. Tell me what you think. As you saw I have the MC tire on now. But I can't wait to go back to the dark side.

I have a complete rim tire set up. Easy to switch out.

Bike
07 ST1300
I have read where the 5.11 Tactical boot is supposed to be waterproof. Since the boots are not motorcycle specific are they waterproof enough to keep your feet dry during prolonged riding in the rain? Also, a lot of motorcycle specific boots have a scuff pad on the toe area to protect the boot from the abrasion of the shifter. How does the leather hold up on the toe area of the 5.11 Tactical boot from the wear and tear of the shifter?
I doubt they are "goretex" waterproof but I don't know. I have ridden in the rain with them, but just to work and back, Short rides. The tongues are not gusseted so I don't think waterproof is their claim to fame. I do carry waterproof over booties though.
My left boot is scuffed a little from shifting but I doubt I will ever wear a hole in it.
I also have Sidi ONROADS that are gore tex boots. Not as comfy to walk around in for my wide feet but fine and comfy for riding.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just got a pair of the Revit Scout H20 boots. Reasonably priced and well made - a really good compromise between work boots and motorcycle boots. Tall enough for protection with armor in the right places and they have a genuine Vibram sole, but short enough for an all day boot. I love mine. You can find them on sale for around 150.0 bucks.

See Revzilla ad: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-scout-h2o-boots

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
I run with Stylmartin's Delta RS's. They are very waterproof and warm...tested them yesterday in Seattle Land's April Rain. The Delta RS are not CE rated, about half of Stylmartin's Touring line is CE rated.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
After years of walking and standing on concrete floors, I found a steel toe boot that would last and was comfortable at the end of the day. When I got back into riding, it was a no-brainer to keep wearing the same boot for riding and work. The boot is a Wolverine, 6" lace up, with the Duralast sole. I keep them waterproof by applying Skidmore's waterproofing about twice a year.

I did buy a pair of Apex riding boots, but found they were terrible for walking around campsites. I couldn't tell that the riding boots were any better for riding, so why pack a separate pair of boots, just to be stylish?

John

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
@ Andrew

FirST I’ve heard of this. Gore endorses certain brands of socks? Or did you mean socks made with Gore-Tex, of which there are a few manufacturers?

John (17 years/140K - Alpinestar Tourers, Gore-Tex, ankle armor, still waterproof but soles worn badly; 3 years/5K - Aerostich Combat Lites, waterproof)
John:

I came across a pair of the Gore-Tex approved socks and I remembered that I had mentioned them in this thread. I have never worn this pair so they still have the labels on them. Included is the Gore-Tex label where it states that these socks are recommended for use with Gore-Tex footwear. I thought you might be interested.

P5090001.jpg

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just (this morning) ordered a pair of these:

boots

The soles of the Vega Boots I wear now are getting thin, but I never really like them due to the two zippers! That outside zipper is a real pain for us old guys! :eek:4:
I got the boots mid week last week and have been riding to work with them.

They are really a good strong boot. So far I'm very satisfied with them and I feel like I'm wearing boots again! :D

The ziper helps a lot to get them on & off. My biggest issue with them is that they are so much taller than what I was riding with, that I had to put my saddle up a notch.

:hat3:

Aerostitch Combat Lites for many years now.
+1 to that. I like them because they seem to breathe better than any of the Gortex boots I have tried. My feet sweat a lot and all of the Gortex boots I have tried are just too hot on warm days. The Combat Lites are waterproof enough if properly treated. Mine only began leaking at the end of an all day rain in Nova Scotia.

I'm on my second set of soles and the cobbler complemented me on what a high quality boot they are.

Harry

Top Bottom