Motorcycle Towing Cradle

rcb

Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Has anyone seen/used the motorcycle towing cradles like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d5f2929f&vxp=mtr If so, what were your experiences? I had been planning to pick one up for a while, but figured I'd get some input here as well. I like the idea of being able to ride somewhere and drive back with my wife and family without them having to pull a trailer with them the whole way.

I've not used one but I would use it for shorter distance, like rescue. I guess it's similar in concept to towing a vehicle behind an RV which some folks do for thousands of miles. Hmmmm.

I too liked this idea, but it is just NOT a good way of moving a bike . First off, the driveshaft will still be spinning as you go, and will wear the universal joints unnecessarily. Add to that the way it is hauling the bike puts a lot of stress on the head bearings. I THOROUGHLY researched this, as I could easily build one at home, but it is just not a safe alternative. If i recall correctly, there was one post on one of the lists I read about a bike being hauled this way, and it jumping into first gear, without the owner's notice (while on back). It , of course, blew the engine.

I know the trailer is a PIA, but it's the only safe/sane way to haul a bike. I used a Harbor Freight trailer plus their front wheel chock to haul a bike to Ohio last year, and although a pain, it did work well. I borrowed it locally, (thanks, David!!!) and it worked a treat. I'll probably do it again this year.

I bought a 5X8 utility trailer with a full wooden bed and full ramp a few years ago. It has 13 inch wheels on it. I installed the harbor freight Haul Master chock in the front and the ST fits on the trailer perfectly. Because it has V frame on the front I mount a giant cooler in front of the bike outside the front rail (between the trailer and the trunk of the car). With the xtra space on the trailer I can load other things alongside the bike. Trailer 710 complete with tax tags etc Chock 40 bucks. Trailer has gone about 14000 miles so far with one tire changed because of a loose wheel bearing (my fault). Trailer weight 385. 2inch ball. 3500 capacity.

http://www.lazenbyequipment.com/

trailer is now 754...

Last edited:
Carole's son made one of those to rescue her trike on a couple of occasions when she still rode it. It works.

I could see it with a trike.

I have never seen one used personally. I always wondered what would keep the bike straight and keep if from going into a tank slapper motion if you hit some rough pavement. Maybe its not a concern, just looks like it could to me.

Oh I've had a motorcycle trailer for quite a while, but if the family wants to meet me, they have to take it everywhere they go before we meet up. It happens frequently. Looking for something more portable.

Ok. I watched this video and it answered my questions. Looks like you have to use straps from the handle bars to the subframe near the rear and that keeps it from going into a tank slapper. Still seems like there would be alot of wear on drive gears and use of rear tire. Although the wasted use of the rear tire is probably still cheaper then owning and storing a trailer.

[video=youtube_share;LSna6D5R6PQ]http://youtu.be/LSna6D5R6PQ[/video]

Now that's a clever invention. Not sure I want to drop that much cash on a second trailer or license yet another trailer (we have a couple for different purposes.. ones a car dolly) but that'd be perfect.

Hmmm.. do you really need "another" license plate?

I've thought about seeing if they would be too hard to build for myself, it is a chunk of change. But you have to really verify your capacities and connections of materials if you did it yourself and wanted to keep the weight low. But there is probably no more then $300 dollars worth of raw parts there I would think.

I don't know but I suspect that some bikes cannot be towed because the transmission won't be lubricated when bike is not running. Could take the chain off of a chain bike. Check with the bike manufacturer before you do. Other than that I think it's great.

Back in 1975 I bought a Yamaha 250 twin in LA and had to haul it to Sacramento. I made a bracket to attach the front axle to, (removed the front tire), removed the chain and then put on two straps from the handlebars to the bumper. What I didn't realize was I need the straps on the bumper to be spread out and not at the hitch! :eek:4: The first real turn I made the bike leaned and didn't come back up! :eek:4: :eek:4: I picked the bike back up (it was light enough) and spread out the straps and it was fine the rest of the 400 miles I had to drive.

15 years later, I gave the bracket to my brother to haul a 82 V45 Sabre from Palmdale to Sacramento. It worked for him just fine too. :think1:

Would I use it on my ST1300... NOT A CHANCE! I'll just my trailer for that!

The only way I would do that is with a chain drive bike with the chain removed. With a shaftie...a few miles in an emergency, tops. The drive gears are designed to take power from a spinning drive shaft and gear it down to the hub, driving the wheel at a slower speed. Towing like that causes the spinning wheel to gear UP to spin the drive shaft much faster. And as someone mentioned...depending on the bike, are the shafts & gears that are spinning in the transmission getting lubed when the engine is off? Some are lubed by splash of the spinning gears...some require engine oil pressure. Which is the ST?

You would be safer to buy a small, light trailer and tow it empty with YOU behind the ST if the family doesn't want to car it around. Or, for your next vehicle, buy something like a Ridgeline and a ramp.

The drive shaft speed will not be faster when towing as opposed to driving as the gear ratios are no different in either application. When the rear wheel is humming along at 65 mph it is turning the same whether being pulled by a car or while riding and the shaft speed will therefor also be as if being ridden under power.
Whether there is sufficient lubrication is an unknown to me but there is no load when being towed and the angle of the bike while being towed will put more oil towards the rear of the trans.
I am building a cradle to put on my camper van and will hopefully provide first hand report later this year.

I too liked this idea, but it is just NOT a good way of moving a bike . First off, the driveshaft will still be spinning as you go, and will wear the universal joints unnecessarily. Add to that the way it is hauling the bike puts a lot of stress on the head bearings.
+1 on those issues...
plus: with the engine not running, no oil pressure to supply/lubricate the transmission parts driven by the prop-shaft!

Looks like you have to use straps from the handle bars...
uhmm... I'd never tie an ST down by the handlebar, the rubber mounts inside the upper triple clamp might suffer, the thin handlebar itself can't cope with the weight of the bike...
I always attach the front tie-downs crossed from the lower triple clamp forward...

I want to try something similar to what Supersabre did with his Yamaha 250. I have a KTM525EXC that I want to tow behind the ST without a trailer.
I want to weld a spacer the size of the front hub of my KTM to a trailer hitch on the ST. Run the front axle thru the forks and spacer and tow the bike. I would use a spare rear wheel with a street tire on the back without a sprocket. I could mount my knobbies to the KTM footpegs with a bracket so I would have them along for the ride. What won't work?

I want to try something similar to what Supersabre did with his Yamaha 250. I have a KTM525EXC that I want to tow behind the ST without a trailer.
I want to weld a spacer the size of the front hub of my KTM to a trailer hitch on the ST. Run the front axle thru the forks and spacer and tow the bike. I would use a spare rear wheel with a street tire on the back without a sprocket. I could mount my knobbies to the KTM footpegs with a bracket so I would have them along for the ride. What won't work?

Ha! Not a bad idea.

According to my honda mechanic friend you cannot tow an ST this way as the transmission is lubricated by engine oil pressure so you would have to have the engine running in order to not damage the transmission.

Top Bottom