Motorcycle Towing Cradle

I've used a few different ways to transport a bike - and a small utility trailer is by far the only way to go...it's not that much of a pain parking and you really don't know it's behind you even with a smaller tow vehicle

I've had a few trailers - the habor freight bolt together type is not worth the money in my opinion, personally I'd get something a bit better for a few more dollars that's welded together - currently I use a CarryOn 4'x8' and it works great with an easy drive up gate.. just drop a sheet of plywood down to keep a lot of the road grime off the bike

If I were to get another one I'd go for something with a Channel A-Frame Tongue - it adds a ton of extra strength for bigger bikes and multi bike loads.

Cheers

I can rent a rig like this for € 15,-/24hrs...

841_-1224475484.jpg

So for the very few occasions I really flat-bed a motorcycle, no need to actually buy one (and hassle with annual MOT, insurance, storage, etc...)

This design has been around since the late 1960's. Guys used to remove the chain for longer tows. It seems best to me, also, that towing for 'short' distances would be fine. Observations already made about strapping to handlebars....so it isn't appropriate for every type of bike. Also...if your shaft drive system needs the oil pump in operation for proper lubrication, probably not a good idea to use one at all.

I don't know but I suspect that some bikes cannot be towed because the transmission won't be lubricated when bike is not running. Could take the chain off of a chain bike. Check with the bike manufacturer before you do. Other than that I think it's great.

I believe the ST is one of those, the trans is lubricated by a pressure feed, so towing it would mean parts of the trans are basically running dry. I toyed with this idea, but using a wheeled plate under the rear wheel that anchored to the bike to stop movement, that way both wheel would stay still.
http://www.wrightmfg.com/wp-content...l/454f9009021bd0c2b5a1ced80c9ad103.jpg?8c5b03
Something along those line, modified to accept the rear wheel. Of course, that one doesn't have highway approved tires or bearings, but you get my drift.

You know U-Haul and probably other companies rent motorcycle trailers so depending on where you are meeting your family there is likely to be a U-Haul nearby...Rent it ...haul your bike properly and maybe you can drop it off a t a U-Haul near your home...Maybe ...Maybe not but its worth a check....This would relieve your family of hauling a trailer to meet you....What you may pay in repairing the damage this thing may do to your bike might make it well worth renting a trailer....Bill

My thinking behind the idea was that it would be something SWMBO could throw in the back of her Pathfinder in case she had to come get me for some reason, or heavens forbid, teenage daughter........ Granted, she could, if the situation warranted, hook up my small trailer, but she doesn't like to tow anything. She has on occasion towed a tractor on a 16ft trailer(I hook it up), the trailer has surge brakes and she only has to make 3 turns, but I hear about it for a week....

Top Bottom