My bargain ST came with a broken windshield

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
madstad.com

adjustable windshield that works better than anything else I found. I like riding my ST1100 better than the ST1300 due to this windshield. (They don't make one for the ST1300 because it already is adjustable but MadStad makes a better unit for the ST1100 than Honda did for the ST1300)

The Cheese

Clearview all the way here. I've got two from them. Had two others from them before that, so, I've had a total of four different Clearview windshields. Sometimes they have blemished shields cheaper. Have to call them tho. They do not advertise them.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
madstad.com

adjustable windshield that works better than anything else I found. I like riding my ST1100 better than the ST1300 due to this windshield. (They don't make one for the ST1300 because it already is adjustable but MadStad makes a better unit for the ST1100 than Honda did for the ST1300)
They no longer show one for the ST1100.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Madstad does not show one on their website for the st1100 but I'm sure they can and will make them if asked. In 2017 I had to contact them for the info and they said it had been a long time since they had a request for an ST1100 and they made me one. I rode up and picked it up in person and the "No shipping price" was $240.00 so it's not the least expensive solution.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
MadStad first mounts a fitted aluminum plate where the original windshield fits, adds a bracket that adjust up and down and also can change the angle. Works great it also gave me a place to mount some extra mirrors that are high enough to see over a large dry bag strapped to the seat.

Attachments

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
It will adjust well below eye level which is where I keep it but unlike the stock windscreen the air is still directed well overhead and no vacuum or buffeting and very little wind noise. It will also adjust well above eye level but there is no need for that even in the rain. It just totally changes the airflow - I believe it's due to the space it's set out from the stock position and the gap. The stock windshield has the small tunnel between the windscreen and the base body work and this adds a 2nd path that directs the air overhead yet doesn't cause the vacuum like the ST1300.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, I have the 'original' prototype in my collection. I contacted the Mark the Madstad guy in 2010 and sent him one of my ST1100 windshields and asked if he could build one for the ST1100. He did it and sent me the 'test' version to see how it worked. There were a few tweaks he needed to make for fit but he was absolutely great to work with. The pictures he used to have in his website were of mine -

FrontCloseup.jpgLeftAngleProfile.jpg

I told him I had no idea how big the market would be if much at all.
So I'm glad he has been able to sell a few.

St1100 madstad adjustable windshield project | ST1100-Windshield | ST-Owners.com (st-owners.com)

Last edited:

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Uncle Phil - it looks like the windscreen on your MadStad is taller and more narrow than what they sold me - although I think mine looks unusually wide - it works very well.

Now I'm gonna have to try a Clearview to see how I like them.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Uncle Phil - it looks like the windscreen on your MadStad is taller and more narrow than what they sold me - although I think mine looks unusually wide - it works very well.

Now I'm gonna have to try a Clearview to see how I like them.
I'm 5'8" and bought a large. It worked fine until I put a Corbin on, which lowered me a bit. I'm going to have to get a medium. Can't stand looking thru the shield.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Uncle Phil - it looks like the windscreen on your MadStad is taller and more narrow than what they sold me - although I think mine looks unusually wide - it works very well. Now I'm gonna have to try a Clearview to see how I like them.
That was one that he had laying around for me to try.
It was a little too narrow for me so wider would be better.
I didn't know what he ended up using for the 'final' product.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Any thoughts on experimenting with the broken one? ie. shortening it up significantly to make a warm weather alternative. Providing the missing chunk is in a place that you can remove of course.
I thought about that, but with close inspection, some of the width is gone, so I don't even have all the mounting screws.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm 5'8" and bought a large. It worked fine until I put a Corbin on, which lowered me a bit. I'm going to have to get a medium. Can't stand looking thru the shield.
Don't go and buy another one. It is easy to cut it down with a fine coping saw blade. Mark your line with a fine point marker, put masking tape on both sides of the shield, along the line, then use a fine file to smooth off the cut edge.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have the 'original' prototype in my collection
St1100 madstad adjustable windshield project | ST1100-Windshield | ST-Owners.com (st-owners.com)
That is one sweet, unique bit of ST1100 kit, Phil. I remember when you first posted about it; I almoST asked for line drawings or tracings then to try my hand at DIY’g. I suppose there’s no copyright or patent issues today...(?) I’m currently looking hard at Garry Coates’ Givi Airflow adaptation.

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
John - Since Madstad includes the base, the brackets and the 'top' windshield, his price look pretty reasonable. He did all the work so I don't know if he 'patented' anything or not. I have talked to Clearview about making a custom 'base' for me if I ever get back to my electric windshield project for the ST1100. Mark at Madstad and I talked about that subject also in our 'back and forth'. He's a really neat feller to chat with.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Don't go and buy another one. It is easy to cut it down with a fine coping saw blade. Mark your line with a fine point marker, put masking tape on both sides of the shield, along the line, then use a fine file to smooth off the cut edge.
Good idea! Thank you!

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Ok, I've been checking windshields out from Clearview etc... I think just to get my feet wet, I'm going to buy a cheap (needs polishing) stock windshield, and go from there. It's from a 95' ST1100, will that bolt onto my 2000?

Top Bottom