My no-mar tire changer (HF Mods)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Re: My no-mar tire changer

Has anyone tried to coat these parts with bedliner material(rhino lining)? I know you used to be able to get that stuff in a gallon can at the hardware store. I have not looked for it yet, but that may be and option. Don't know what that stuff cost either.

STOC #

mojolever the guy that makes the tire mount demount bar also has those pieces made up for sale, just posting it for others

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

mojolever the guy that makes the tire mount demount bar also has those pieces made up for sale, just posting it for others
Can anyone confirm that they work right? I think gregj found out the ones he made off centered the tire so he was unable to use the arm bar to take the wheel off. Just wondered if the Mojo blocks did that also.

I may just try some plastic dip and see how that works out. I think you can get that stuff in a spray can also which might work better for this application.

I used the plastic dip. Painted it on with a junk paintbrush. Used 4 coats. I've only used the changer once since doing that. Didn't scratch the rim and the rim did not slip and spin. I'm not sure how often a touchup of the plastic dip will be needed but have about half a can left (if it doesn't dry out).

Not a very elegant fix but it works. I still worry about scratches from wearing through the plastic coating.

OP
OP
gregj
Bike
07 ST1300A

Can anyone confirm that they work right? I think gregj found out the ones he made off centered the tire so he was unable to use the arm bar to take the wheel off. Just wondered if the Mojo blocks did that also.

I may just try some plastic dip and see how that works out. I think you can get that stuff in a spray can also which might work better for this application.
Just a little correction. I found that with the blocks I made, the wheel's axle was off center to the changer, so the bar that goes through the wheel axle bearings wouldnt go into the changer center support. I could still use it, as well as the C support arm, and was able to change the wheel quite nicely. I did some measurements, and I think what happened is a result of crappy workmanship of the changer, not my blocks. I've not had the chance to use it yet with my latest mod to the blocks, which are almost identical to the Mojo Blocks for the HF tire changer.

Like the old addage goes, you get what you pay for. :shrug2:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

I tried that plastic dip stuff but it didn't last very long. Several coats but it tears and wears off after 2-3 tire changes. Maybe I can just wrap an old inner tube around the clamps?

gregj, did you find that the wheel wanted to slip in your HPDE blocks?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gregj
Bike
07 ST1300A

..... gregj, did you find that the wheel wanted to slip in your HPDE blocks?
Yes. A strap around one of the spokes and the bottom arm of the changer fixed the slipping. The surface area of the metal lips on the changer are quite larger than the blocks I made or what you get from Mojo, so maybe the metal lips would help prevent the slippage. However, since the lips are not curved and the rim is, not sure if this is valid.

I was thinking about building a padded vertical arm that would go against the spoke and prevent slippage. Still on my to do list. :eek::

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

I ended up buying a can of this. I am going to give it a try and see how it works. I think it may be easier to use than the can you dip the piece into. I am just going to to the bead breaker first and see how it turns out. I will report back when finished.

Thought I would add that I got my can of Plasti dip spray from Lowes for under $5.

Last edited:

I've used the HF changer twice now. First time was removing/replacing a GL1500 160/80HB16 rear tire - supposedly one of the toughest to mount. All went well, but it was a bear turning the changing bar around the rim. I could see where some slick material on the face of the bar would greatly simplify things. Left some thin red streaks along portions of the outer rim edge.

Second time was removing a 120/70x18 BT020 front tire from my ST1300 and replacing it with a 130/70HB18 front tire meant for a GL1500. Was actually easier to do the work using three 18" tire spoons from Northern Tools than to use the bar. Next change will be a rear. Wonder how those spoons will work with that? Or should I just order a Mojo or No-Mar bar (now that it can be ordered separately)?

I had no trouble breaking the bead on that GL1500 rear wheel, but did on the ST1300 front. As I pressed down in the breaker bar, the wheel would push away from the changer, as the pointed "catch" on the bottom just moved up along the tire. Where does it go? I was placing the tire on the breaker so that the point of the "catch" (underneath the tire - what it rests on) was at the junction of the tire and the rim. It would have prevented movement better had I placed the point of the "catch" inside the outer edge of the rim, away from the tire.

I've seen others mention using a strap to keep the rim from turning with the bar. I wonder if Jeff's idea to use inner tubes would help. Not only would they prevent marring, but I'm betting they might grip well enough to preclude having to strap it down.

Lastly, maybe it's just me, but I can't get the clamp with the turnscrew tight very well. I've tightened the set screw on the turnscrew, but the clamp still gets to the rim and then the turnscrew just turns, extracting the itself instead of tightening the clamp.

Mickey Stilson
Wichita

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

Just installed the MojoBlocks on my HF changer (I have the MoJo bar also)and they work just fine, solved the scratching problem completely. But I had to 'block' the wheel so it does not turn in them. Simple solution for me was a broom handle stuck between the ST1100 spoke and one of the arms on the HF tire changer. Easy and quick install (drill a hole in the clamps - bolts and nuts are included) and well worth the $25 (which includes shipping) - especially if you don't feel like fussing with the cutting board. He does not have anything for the bead breaker at this time, but I just cover them with wood blocks to give me extra height anyway and keep the rotors out of harm's way.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

I've managed to solve the scratching and slipping (wheel turning in the blocks) in one fell swoop. I simply cut some pieces of bicycle inner tube about 2" - 3" long and slipped them over the wheel holding blocks on my HF changer. When the wheel is mounted, the inner tube rubber isolates the wheel from the metal holders and provides enough friction to prevent slippage when using my No-Mar bar. It was free too!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

JEFF - I reckon that leaves me out. My 'kid' just turned 31 and I had to give up bicycling a long time ago after the knee went south. It is a great idea though and I may try some of those many orthopedic therabands I have laying around to see if it stops the slip.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Am I the only one who uses the HF changer as a holder only? (well I use the bead breaker)

I just put 3 new layers of duct tape on the clamps at each change and use tire irons. I don't use the bar, so I don't have to have the hub centered over the hole.

STOC #

I started this thread a few days ago:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47356

I love all the great ideas on this subject and the fact that home tire changes are getting easier all the time. I'd love to see more of these HF/mojo/make it up as you go ideas on video.

YouTube anyone? I'd love to see some of these ideas in action. Thanks for the pics, they're great, but having done this myself so many times w/o the HF machine and just spoons, I'd love to see these set-ups in action.

Anyone?

I finally decided to get a tire changer. The posts here about the HF changer, and the fact a coworker has one, made the decision easier.

Harbour Freight has their tire changer on sale for $49.99, and the MC attachment is also $49.99. Below is a link to the changer. If you buy it in the store, I think it's cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

The changer by itself will scratch rims up terribly. A coworker (rides a BMW) has one as well, and warned me. He came upon a link that uses cut up pieces of a poly cutting board to convert the tire changer into a "no-mar" tire changer. (Earlier I posted this link in a couple of threads on the subject.) Many thanks to the original poster of this mod. :bow1:

http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3737

Friday I stopped by the HF store, and picked the tire changer up with the MC attachment. Below are a few pics of my attempts at making it a no-mar tire changer. Now all I need is the mo-jo bar, that will be here probably by the end of the month.

Here's the modified changer. The poly pads are on the rim holders, and the 2 pieces to break the bead. The pads are cut out pieces from a poly cutting board, available at Wal-Mart, or most any smaller h/w stores.

I shaped the top bead breaker a little. The 2 pieces on the bottom overlap at the top, and the carriage bolts are counter sunk so they wouldnt come in contact with the rim.

The rim holders are made of 3 pieces bolted together. One thing I did differently here was I left the original rim lip in place. I cut a slot in the poly pieces so that the poly pieces would fit snugly in. This way if I ever need to use the orginal rim holders, I can.

To secure the changer I cut a 4'x4' piece of heavy plywood and bolted it down. This should be stable enough, with my weight on the board as well, I doubt it's gonna go anywhere.
Are there pictures here, or do I need to be a member longer to see them?

Top Bottom