New Honda Model Announced-Rebel 1100

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There will never be another ST from Honda. Maybe possibly something remotely ST-like but not another ST. Maybe but probably not.

That said I like this Rebel. I don't recall recall the capacity of an 883 Sportster tank or that of a 350 Honda Scrambler but a camping trip to Mt. Lassen from my patch didn't take a lot of pit stops. How ever did anybody go anywhere without a 7gal tank. The DCT option is a huge plus in my book.

It's a chain drive so not high on my must buy list. And the bars are way too short. Move the feet back and it's near crotch rocket seating. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on any cruiser-style bike being that hunched over. So new bars would be in order. Another quibble is the lack of color on a bike. I'd at least like side covers color matched to the tank. Maybe fenders as well but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. To my eye it's much nicer looking than the Africa Twin. But then I like ADV bikes about as much as most here seem to like cruisers.

Otherwise I think Honda did real well and this bike will do ok sales wise. There are a whole lot more cruisers on the road than sport-tourers. Overall I really like it and though the chain puts me off (yeah I know all "don't make chains like they used to" blah blah) I look forward to seeing the specs especially curb weight and seat height.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
One thing is for sure - Since the engine is based on the Africa Twin it will get very good fuel mileage. When traveling with my Africa twin I frequently achieve 50-55 mpg.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I’m not a cruiser guy, but I like a lot about this bike. I think Honda will do well with it. There’s no denying that the dominant motorcycle style in the US is cruisers for better or worse. The DCT will attract a lot of riders including new riders who aren’t comfortable with working a clutch and shifting gears. Other things to like are the modern tech, reasonable price, low weight (for a cruiser) and the fact that it doesn’t have the cruiser-typical feet forward riding position. It looks like they put a decent suspension on it too. The website says it has cruise control and a slipper clutch for manual models. I like the bobberish styling and think it works a lot better than it does on the 300 and 500 versions. The smallish tank may be a concern depending on the fuel economy/range and the low seat height while good for shorter riders would be a concern for taller riders. I’m surprised to say it, but I’m kind of excited about this bike.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
You know, cruiser bikes are OK with smaller tanks. A couple of hours of cruising, and one is ready to stretch out, take a break, and fuel up.
So, while I prefer a larger tank for touring, cruising is a different type of riding, not so focused on covering the distance. (IMO)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
That's the 8th gen VFR800, just an updated version of the 6th gen 2002 to 2009... Same engine, cams are tweeked a bit.
Wheels and brakes are nice.
Hmm I was led to believe that was a prototype VFR 1200. Doesn't look like any 800 that I recall.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Hmm I was led to believe that was a prototype VFR 1200. Doesn't look like any 800 that I recall.
The updated VFR800 came out 2014 to 2017(I think) , no doubt it's a nice bike, but the platform is a bit long in the tooth......

The VFR1200 is a great bike, but really for us long time VFR fans, it a different category of motorcycle.... I rode one, didn't care for it.
And styling wise, I think it's fugly....(who did that? A refrigerator designer?)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I’m surprised to say it, but I’m kind of excited about this bike.
As am I. I don't have room for a second bike and this might be kind of big for what I want in a second bike but I like the looks. And for just general runnin' around I'd like a bike lighter than the ST.

Some cruisers have the foot controls way forward as to serve as highway pegs. I don't like that. My GL had floorboards that put my lower legs at a perfectly vertical angle instead of my feet below my butt. That was very comfortable for me. Moving the ST foot controls forward about 6" would be great.

I will probably not own the Rebel but I'll definitely head to the dealer to check out the fit. I'm also curious about what accessories Honda will offer not that I'd care to make one into a smaller ST. I'd definitely want to change the seating ergos though. I gave up the sportbike seating long ago and this is too close to that.

I’m not a cruiser guy, but I like a lot about this bike. I think Honda will do well with it. There’s no denying that the dominant motorcycle style in the US is cruisers for better or worse. The DCT will attract a lot of riders including new riders who aren’t comfortable with working a clutch and shifting gears. Other things to like are the modern tech, reasonable price, low weight (for a cruiser) and the fact that it doesn’t have the cruiser-typical feet forward riding position. It looks like they put a decent suspension on it too. The website says it has cruise control and a slipper clutch for manual models. I like the bobberish styling and think it works a lot better than it does on the 300 and 500 versions. The smallish tank may be a concern depending on the fuel economy/range and the low seat height while good for shorter riders would be a concern for taller riders. I’m surprised to say it, but I’m kind of excited about this bike.
I can't say this bike will ever be in my garage, but I agree with much of what RobbieAG has written.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
went yesterday to look at one. the chain drive is the only down side to me. I liked it overall and would entertain owning one.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
There’s a 2021 1100 DCT Rebel on Craigslist in Nashville for $9800, with Corbin seat and soft bags.

John

Top Bottom