New Missouri Helmet Law

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow I knew things were "different" in Missouri but they ain't adults until they are 26! Is this new or always been that way.

Sign me drove a 10 ton wheat truck with a combine header in the bed and a combine behind the truck at 16 in Kansas....Also able to buy beer from the Cheney corner gas station at 14. Raymond (I know, long signature)

Bike
R1200rt
they say the brain isn't fully developed till your early 20's. What I see on the streets today I have to agree! Insurance companies also do not decrease rates till the drivers are 25 with good records. There is something to that 26 age thing!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Likely the ‘26 and health insurance’ is borne of the ACA provision that offspring can stay on a parent’s insurance until 26.

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
Are you sure that it's "health" insurance, and not liability insurance?
A quick Google search: "The new law takes effect Aug. 28 and will exempt motorcycle riders who are at least 26 years old. Riders who choose not to wear a helmet will need health insurance coverage. The change doesn't apply to riders with instructional permits. ... Missouri lawmakers have long tried to repeal the state's helmet requirement. "

The requirement is for the rider to have health insurance coverage for his or her self, not liability insurance to cover what they may damage (which is likely already required by existing law). The idea is that an adult is free to make their own decision as to whether to wear a helmet so long as any consequences of their choice doesn't become a financial burden on society. If I recall correctly, Florida has (or had) similar insurance requirements for helmet-less riding.

In essence they're saying you're free to assume the risk so long as your neighbors won't have to pay the price. These types of laws are the response to pro-helmet law advocates citing the "social burden" theory which attempts to restrict or eliminate perceived risky behavior. I am not aware of the social burden theory being applied to enact legislation that places a financial requirement on participants that engage in other activities that a reasonable person would consider risky. It seems helmet-less motorcyclists are being singled out.

If there is a debate to be had it's this: Should a government restrict participation in a "risky" activity to those willing and able to purchase insurance? Or, is it a right for each man to choose his own level of risk-taking? I think our country may have answered this question when the ACA with its health insurance mandate was passed.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Even with health insurance, the bulk of the hospital bill will be paid by other people in the form of higher premiums...is there a requirement for health insurance if you decide to climb a mountain? I think not. This is just nonsense. Any motorcycle rider with a little common sense knows that it's smart to wear a helmet though...

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've ridden some MO roads many times....Didn't even know they had a helmet law.
If I'm out riding, I'll be ATGATT

I'm sure the Do-Rag riders are celebrating.
Ride Safe

Bike
2010 ST1300
Governor has just signed law allowing adults 26 and older with health insurance the option of not wearing a helmet.
How much insurance? For someone with a serious head injury, it is possible that they will zip through a few hundred thou in an extended hospital stay. Then who pays? How about folks on medicare? That's health insurance and who pays for head injuries there? Everyone does. The law is nonsense.

Bike
2000 ST1100
So for now people riding in from Illinois won't have to stop in at the border of Mo to put on a helmet. Great Idea. Now only if Illinois and Mo would reconize each others concealed carry permits.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My guess is that anyone over the age of 26 can't be on their parents health insurance program. No further comment on helmets

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
As a "small L" libertarian and a motorcyclist, I'd say that the only thing stupider than a law requiring motorcyclists to wear proper helmets is riding a motorcycle without one. Helmet laws are about worthless when the police don't ticket novelty helmets no thicker than a ball cap (and often worn over one) with an owner-applied DOT sticker. In some states where the legislators were not particular enough to specify that the helmet must be worn on the head, some mentally agile American Brand Riders (c) go about with the helmets securely affixed one of their knees. Ron White was right. You can't fix stupid.

Top Bottom