New Missouri Helmet Law

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
So, if a 26 yo has a helmet on they don't have to have health insurance? One could make a cases for a law that all motorcyclist must have health insurance since crashes are likely to cause more injuries than car crashes.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Why would you not want to wear a helmet? Afraid to mess up your hair? :)

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
...One could make a cases for a law that all motorcyclist must have health insurance since crashes are likely to cause more injuries than car crashes.
And then they'll come for the skiers, the equestrians, the rock climbers, the bicyclists, the skateboarders.... Where would it stop?

Requiring health in$urance to participate in activities that someone else deems risky effectively makes those activities "pay to play".

I have no issue whatsoever with helmets or health insurance. I wouldn't ride without them. I have an issue with the state requiring its citizens to purchase health insurance. That's not a road we should explore.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
So, if a 26 yo has a helmet on they don't have to have health insurance? One could make a cases for a law that all motorcyclist must have health insurance since crashes are likely to cause more injuries than car crashes.
Many motorcycle crashes require very little "work". Just some pressure washing of the pavement and a big bag for the messy pieces. As far as health insurance goes, it is IMO silly to even have insurance for something you know that you will need. We need healthcare, not insurance. An individual is not in control of his/her DNA, which drives the majority of future healthcare needs. Of course there are accidents as people live their lives - but "insurance" is silly in this field as we all need it eventually...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I was in Durango, Colorado over the 4th. We were downtown having dinner and some ice cream. A young (30 something) guy comes down the main drag and starts to rev and show off. The Harley caught traction and shot him straight into a metal street light pole. His unhelmeted head met said light pole. Lots of blood all over the pole, sidewalk and curb. He was still conscious when they loaded him into the ambulance. I wonder if he will wear a helmet if he ever rides again?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One could make a cases for a law that all motorcyclist must have health insurance since crashes are likely to cause more injuries than car crashes.
It would be prudent to have medical coverage whether or not you operate a motor vehicle. I know I have to have insurance which has medical coverage in order to register a vehicle.

But if it weren't the law there would be times that I'd ride without a helmet just like I did almost 60 yrs ago. I was in MT a few years back and they had/have no helmet law that I know of. So I did spent some time not wearing mine. Because it feels good. That's all the reason I need.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Years ago I heard the sound of a small bike going down my street- then a metal to metal thud. Checking it out I saw the bike imbedded in the driver's door of a small car with the rider on the ground. The car had made a U-turn from the curb (stupid and illegal) in front of the bike.

The rider had a helmet but his neck was broken and the ME said he died on impact. His helmet didn't help him. So does that mean you should never bother wearing one? Of course not. Many riders' lives have been saved by wearing a helmet. I'll bet statistically more helmet-less riders have not suffered head trauma than have. A time and a place. Nobody but a fool thinks they have all the answers for anybody but them.

The MO law is a good compromise for those who want to make an informed decision and weigh the odds. If CA made helmets complete optional for adults there would be times when I'd leave it in the pannier. Those who are proud of not going 5' without ATGATT have that choice. It's ok by me.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
A quick Google search: "The new law takes effect Aug. 28 and will exempt motorcycle riders who are at least 26 years old. Riders who choose not to wear a helmet will need health insurance coverage. The change doesn't apply to riders with instructional permits. ... Missouri lawmakers have long tried to repeal the state's helmet requirement. "

The requirement is for the rider to have health insurance coverage for his or her self, not liability insurance to cover what they may damage (which is likely already required by existing law). The idea is that an adult is free to make their own decision as to whether to wear a helmet so long as any consequences of their choice doesn't become a financial burden on society. If I recall correctly, Florida has (or had) similar insurance requirements for helmet-less riding.

In essence they're saying you're free to assume the risk so long as your neighbors won't have to pay the price. These types of laws are the response to pro-helmet law advocates citing the "social burden" theory which attempts to restrict or eliminate perceived risky behavior. I am not aware of the social burden theory being applied to enact legislation that places a financial requirement on participants that engage in other activities that a reasonable person would consider risky. It seems helmet-less motorcyclists are being singled out.

If there is a debate to be had it's this: Should a government restrict participation in a "risky" activity to those willing and able to purchase insurance? Or, is it a right for each man to choose his own level of risk-taking? I think our country may have answered this question when the ACA with its health insurance mandate was passed.
I wonder how the police will enforce this... the only way I can see is they'd have to stop every person without a helmet and check them for both age and health insurance. Otherwise, should one have an accident and not have coverage, they'd either become a financial burden on society or the hospitals would have to decline care.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
As far as health insurance goes, it is IMO silly to even have insurance for something you know that you will As far as health insurance goes, it is IMO silly to even have insurance for something you know that you will need. We need healthcare, not insurance..
Insurance makes healthcare affordable, if everyone has insurance then insurance is also affordable. If only the sick have insurance it will be unaffordable ‍♂

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wonder how the police will enforce this...
The same way they enforce a multitude of traffic laws- make a lawful traffic stop and the first things a driver/rider has to present is license registration and proof of insurance. The latter would probably suffice for medical coverage or there could be a separate ID card for that. Verify the age while writing the tag. Boom.

It might happen on the odd occasion but by and large police wouldn't be stopping helmet-less riders to just see of their old enough. In most states that's probably not cause for a lawful stop unless maybe the age difference was obvious. Always good to have a body cam.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I guess they're assuming that if you don't have health insurance, that you have some kind of personal injury protection insurance on your bike coverage? It all just doesn't add up.

Side note: I got in what developed into a semi-heated argument with a helmetless rider once. He said it's his choice, his freedom, and affects me in no way. I said "yes it does. When you 'lay her down' and you hit your head on a curb and have to eat burgers thru a straw and need a paid care giver the rest of your life... my insurance rates go up because of it". That's when he got all beligerant calling BS. I walked away.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
..... I'll bet statistically more helmet-less riders have not suffered head trauma than have. .....
Unless I'm reading that wrong, I think you've got it backwards. I remember reading a study where a helmetless rider has a 10 times MORE CHANCE of head injury than a rider with a helmet.

"There were 10 times as many unhelmeted motorcyclist fatalities in states without universal helmet laws (1,777 unhelmeted fatalities) as in states with universal helmet laws (170 unhelmeted fatalities) in 2017. " Granted that's fatalities. Have to assume similar stats for head injuries.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Unless I'm reading that wrong, I think you've got it backwards. I remember reading a study where a helmetless rider has a 10 times MORE CHANCE of head injury than a rider with a helmet.
I think his point was if 100 riders, not wearing a helmet, crashed less than 50 would have head injuries. I think he is probably right, your body reflexively protects your head just those 40+ times it isn’t able to keep your noggins from hitting something hard have life changing consequences.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Minnesota did this a few years ago and the number of fatalities at the site and in the hospital increased. The number of ER visits, transfers to ICU, and extended stay increased. The article was posted on here somewhere. I have 2 concusions from riding a mountain bike with a bicycle helmet. No way will I not where a helmet on a machine that can do 25mph+. But, if you want to accept the risk of not wearing one be my guest. I don't wear a covid cover.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I guess they're assuming that if you don't have health insurance, that you have some kind of personal injury protection insurance on your bike coverage? It all just doesn't add up.

Side note: I got in what developed into a semi-heated argument with a helmetless rider once. He said it's his choice, his freedom, and affects me in no way. I said "yes it does. When you 'lay her down' and you hit your head on a curb and have to eat burgers thru a straw and need a paid care giver the rest of your life... my insurance rates go up because of it". That's when he got all beligerant calling BS. I walked away.
;)You got that all wrong my friend. Those helmetless riders are not the cause of your insurance rates going up. The real reason they are going up is the volience has gone up in this country and those that are killed and wounded the majority have no insurance or on medicaid. Those that are on medicaid you are still footing the bill. My wife use to work at a trauma hospital and had a drive by shooting victim that was in the ICU for a month. His bill was over a million dollars because he had no insurance guess who payed for his care.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I'm not sure of Florida laws as I choose the wear a helmet and gear plus I have insurance. On some of the license plates is stamped into the metal "Under 21".

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Minnesota did this a few years ago and the number of fatalities at the site and in the hospital increased. The number of ER visits, transfers to ICU, and extended stay increased. The article was posted on here somewhere. I have 2 concusions from riding a mountain bike with a bicycle helmet. No way will I not where a helmet on a machine that can do 25mph+. But, if you want to accept the risk of not wearing one be my guest. I don't wear a covid cover.
The covid cover is not for you, it's for everyone else.

If I'm not going to be near anyone, I don't wear one either. I expect anyone that's going to be near me or in an enclosed space to wear one.

Top Bottom