Oil Leak !!! a Honda !!!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I picked up a 2004 ST1300 in October (my 3rd ST1300) and am preparing it for a cross country tour this summer. It's got 17k on the clock and seems to be in very good shape. It recently came back from a local dealer who, among other things, did a valve check and adjustment.

Now it is leaking oil from a small "hole" in the lower right front of the engine.

I'm bringing it back tomorrow, but could this be unrelated to their work? It was tight as a drum before I brought it in...

st1300.jpg

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Probably coming from the valve cover, check around the half moon gaskets at the front of the cover.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The square hole is the exit of a drain channel that runs down the front of the engine. The channel exists to drain fluids that can accumulate in the vee between the cylinder heads. It is possible the rubber heat mat below the throttle bodies got pinched when the technician replaced the valve covers. Make absolutely certain it's motor oil and not coolant. Coolant is the usual fluid that comes out of the square hole, coolant that weeps, seeps, or leaks out of the myriad of cooling system hose connections in the vee.

No reason to panic.

OP
OP
STeveMcD
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I certainly feels like oil and the valve cover gaskets are dry. They did flush the cooling system and check the thermostat as well.

It is definitely oil, the coolant in the reservoir is blue, the drip is yellow like oil, I don't have a great sense of smell and the oil is fresh, but it's oil.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
There is a rubber mat that lies under the throttle bodies. It is common for the mat to get caught under the valve cover(s) if one is not careful when installing the covers. It will usually leak into the "V" and you will see oil exit out the square hole you are looking at. If you are sure this is oil, it is very likely your shop needs to look at this, as this started when they had the covers off. If you are able to remove your fairings, it may be worth it to look yourself (not sure how your dealer would handle a "come back")

OP
OP
STeveMcD
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Body work is all off. I brought it to them that way and don't want to button it back up until this is squared away.

I spoke with them yesterday and they were good about brining it in for a look. My guess and hope is that they'll find the same things mentioned here and set it right.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
And what would be wrong with that? :well1:
You don't see any oil spots under this one ;)
00x0x_fs2PnQSPyrW_1200x900.jpg
Yes, that is a shadow under the bike. I was about to make my very first mistake and call you on that. Luckily, my reputation is intact. LOL!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yes, that is a shadow under the bike. I was about to make my very first mistake and call you on that. Luckily, my reputation is intact. LOL!
We all know it's an oil stain! :)

OP
OP
STeveMcD
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I brought it into the dealer today. “That sucks, we’ve got to fix that!” was their response.

When they did the valve check (yes they really did it and adjusted one valve) they reused the gaskets.

I’ve never reused a gasket in my life...

new gaskets on order, they’ll get it tight and right.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sounds to me like you found a good dealer! Tell them we (STOC members) appreciated their approach to the leak (fixing it).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I brought it into the dealer today. “That sucks, we’ve got to fix that!” was their response.

When they did the valve check (yes they really did it and adjusted one valve) they reused the gaskets.

I’ve never reused a gasket in my life...

new gaskets on order, they’ll get it tight and right.
The valve cover packing doesn’t have to be replaced every time the covers are removed and are designed to last a long time. The only sealant is a small amount placed in the “corners” of the semi circles. The thing that causes leaks after valve checks/adjustments is the rubber heat mat under the throttle bodies gets pinched between the cover and the engine block. The packing is designed to be installed dry against the block. The first valve check I did I disregarded the service manual and used RTV to seal the covers all the way around the perimeter. The next valve check involved the hassles of removing the RTV and replacing the original ones I ruined. The bike went the next 160,000 miles on the second set of packings and never leaked before I sold it at 180,000 miles. IIRC I did valve checks at 20k, 44k, 65k, 85k, 106k, 117k ( I had the bike apart to replace the alternator ), 145k, 174k on the second set of packings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STeveMcD
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The valve cover packing doesn’t have to be replaced every time the covers are removed and are designed to last a long time. The only sealant is a small amount placed in the “corners” of the semi circles. The thing that causes leaks after valve checks/adjustments is the rubber heat mat under the throttle bodies gets pinched between the cover and the engine block. The packing is designed to be installed dry against the block. The first valve check I did I disregarded the service manual and used RTV to seal the covers all the way around the perimeter. The next valve check involved the hassles of removing the RTV and replacing the original ones I ruined. The bike went the next 160,000 miles on the second set of packings and never leaked before I sold it at 180,000 miles.
Good to know, thanks!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Steve:

David's advice (post #18) is spot-on - my experience has been the same as his. Just put a little tiny bit of high temperature RTV on the 'half-moons', then re-use the gaskets. They are designed and intended to be re-used.

Michael

Top Bottom